[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Hey so having an issue. I've reinstalled several times and am pretty lost at this point. Cleaned out my version and reinstalled, added in ONLY the realism overhaul mods. I cannot interact with the GUI on this mod. Can't scroll, can't add or remove fuel (every once in a while when I click it will go through with add fuel. that's it.). Is this common? Did I do something wrong? Not a compsci guy

Hey so having an issue. I've reinstalled several times and am pretty lost at this point. Cleaned out my version and reinstalled, added in ONLY the realism overhaul mods. I cannot interact with the GUI on this mod. Can't scroll, can't add or remove fuel (every once in a while when I click it will go through with add fuel. that's it.). Is this common? Did I do something wrong? Not a compsci guy

Just to check, are you accessing the GUI through the action group menu?

I have two questions regarding H2 boil off.

1) How do the various space agencies (irl) plan to transport H2 over long distances and avoid losing most of the H2? For instance having an H2 tank to power an NTR on a return trip from Mars. Or taking H2 to another body to use in a sabatier reaction.

2)How can I transport H2 (in game) to other planetary bodies with minimal boil off?

I have two questions regarding H2 boil off.

1) How do the various space agencies (irl) plan to transport H2 over long distances and avoid losing most of the H2? For instance having an H2 tank to power an NTR on a return trip from Mars. Or taking H2 to another body to use in a sabatier reaction.

2)How can I transport H2 (in game) to other planetary bodies with minimal boil off?

For Mars, one viable plan (such as that of SpaceX, I believe) is to use liquid methane (CH4) as the propellant. Methane is a liquid at around the same temp. as O2 (which is far higher than the temp. for H2) and the boil-off is far less of a problem. (Interestingly, CH4 can also be solidified at a not-much-colder temperature (only about another 20 K less) (still a lot warmer than H2) which would save on space somewhat... but the additional parts needed for that might more than make up for that)

Another major advantage of this is that CH4 and O2 can be easily produced from the Martian atmosphere. The ship would then only need to carry fuel for 1 leg of the trip.

For Mars, one viable plan (such as that of SpaceX, I believe) is to use liquid methane (CH4) as the propellant. Methane is a liquid at around the same temp. as O2 (which is far higher than the temp. for H2) and the boil-off is far less of a problem. (Interestingly, CH4 can also be solidified at a not-much-colder temperature (only about another 20 K less) (still a lot warmer than H2) which would save on space somewhat... but the additional parts needed for that might more than make up for that)

Another major advantage of this is that CH4 and O2 can be easily produced from the Martian atmosphere. The ship would then only need to carry fuel for 1 leg of the trip.

Ah but here's the rub, to make CH4/LOx on Mars you need to first ship a few tonnes of H2 all the way to Mars to feed into the reaction (2 H2 + 3 CO2 → CH4 + 2 O2 + 2 CO).

EDIT: from a previous post of Nathan's we have:

loss_rate = defined in tank definition (0.0000000002 for LH2 in a cryo tank)

delta_temp = part_temp - resource_boiling_point

loss_per_second (liters) = tank_maxAmount * loss_rate * delta_temp

So I guess the only thing I can really modify to decrease loss of H2/LOx in game is the temp? Can the thermal fin (with Starwaster's fix) be used for this?

I found this interesting study titled "Space Storage of Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen" and this article (PDF) which seems to address my first question in the previous post. Seems like one option is to use boiled-off hydrogen to refrigerate the liquid oxygen tank which can can be used to keep the liquid oxygen from boiling off entirely. Can this be modeled in game?

Edited by Scripto23

Huh. Kinda stumped. Don't see anything obviously wrong in the log.

Can you try loading KSP with *just* the Squad folder and the RealFuels folder in GameData?

Did so. Worked totally fine with no other mods. Guess I'll start pulling them one at a time... see what happens

Edit: loaded it up missing each individually. Same issue occurred each time so it's not connected to a specific mod. Redownlaoded/installed realfuels, same issue. Thoroughly perplexed.

Edited by Rag3aholik
New info

Don't they already run on Hydrogen / HydroLOX?

They can be made to but that's not full RF support.

The RAPIER actually has two engines defined in a way that RF can't deal with right now.

Additionally stock RAPIER uses ModuleEngineFX which RF also cannot deal with.

So you can make RAPIER work with H2 via config files but you won't be able to configure the engine for alternate fuels in the VAB/SPH.

Rag3aholik: you said "missing each individually"--have you tried the other way, i.e. *adding* mods back one by one?

SABREs are supported by RF, they just don't have tech level support yet. RAPIERs, not at all, as Starwaster says. I hope to get basic ModuleEnginesFX support in fast, but supporting MultiModeEngines is rather tougher, I think.

Doesn't RF come with it's own engine switcher? Just make sure you can switch effects in-flight and you're set. Enough for rudimentary RAPIER support, and should work on "static" rocket engine configs, too (so that if you change between fuel modes, the exhaust reflects that).

Doesn't RF come with it's own engine switcher? Just make sure you can switch effects in-flight and you're set. Enough for rudimentary RAPIER support, and should work on "static" rocket engine configs, too (so that if you change between fuel modes, the exhaust reflects that).

Uh right... thanks for that.... but it's not about switching engines it's about configuring them in the VAB

Hello everyone! First of all, excuse me for awful English.

Nathan, I think problems of RF's issues in symmetry interaction. If I try to move configured (ie filled) side tanks, it becomes to unfillable (RF shows that) until retraction from launchpad.

Problem appears even on clear installation of KSP. In that case log have some "KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary" exceptions. On the "main" KSP install (mod heavy), log contains "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" entries.

So! Now that I have my ModuleManager issues sorted out, I'm back in business making RealFuels tweaks.

While we're waiting for ModuleEnginesFX to get updated, here's a few cfg changes I'd like to recommend:

1. Make the RAPIER use LiquidHydrogen + LiquidOxygen:

@PART[RAPIER]
{

!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] {}

!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] {}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
engineID = AirBreathing
directThrottleEffectName = power_open
runningEffectName = running_open
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustPoint
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.33
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 190
heatProduction = 400
useEngineResponseTime = True
engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.2
engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.35
useVelocityCurve = True
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidH2
ratio = 0.55
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = IntakeAir
ratio = 0.45
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 1200
key = 0.3 2500
key = 1 800
}
velocityCurve
{
key = 0 0.5 0 0
key = 1000 1 0 0
key = 2000 0.5 0 0
key = 2200 0 0 0
}

}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
engineID = ClosedCycle
runningEffectName = running_closed
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustPoint
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 175
heatProduction = 650
fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.25
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidH2
ratio = 0.73
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidOxygen
ratio = 0.27
DrawGauge = True
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 465
key = 1 375
}

}

}

2. The airplaneTail should hold fuel, and the airplane fuselages and adapters should hold way more fuel than they do:

@PART[mk2Fuselage]
{
//!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
//!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
//!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1000
type = Fuselage
}
}

@PART[mk2SpacePlaneAdapter]
{
//!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 800
type = Fuselage
}
}

@PART[mk3Fuselage]
{
//!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1600
type = Fuselage
}
}

@PART[mk3spacePlaneAdapter]
{
//!RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 1200
type = Fuselage
}
}

@PART[airplaneTail]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 800
type = Fuselage
}

}

These numbers are based on a cursory visual inspection of the parts.

Here is a prerelease for ModuleEnginesFX compatibility. Note it does not work with Multimode engines (the RAPIER) yet, but does work with single-mode engines. However, in the MEC block, make sure you have type = ModuleEnginesFX so MEC knows what to look for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brn9mxzvc82x4i2/RealFuels_v4_4_pre2.zip

Note other changes in changelog; in particular, delete the RF-related Stretchy parts from the Stretchy folder, they're now included in RF.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention - as of April 20th, I will have sufficient time, energy, and hardware to start developing KSP mods again.

NathanKell, I'm EXTREMELY grateful for the work you've done on DRE and RealFuels. If you're willing, I'd like to partner with you to co-develop new versions as soon as my schedule opens up.