[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Just reporting a weird minor bug here: For some reason, if you change the fuel flow definition of LiquidH2 to STACK_PRIORITY_FLOW instead of STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH with this mod KSP hangs on the loading screen.

I'm trying to frankenstein Near Future Propulsion with RealFuels, and since H2 in NFPP is free flowing while LH2 in RF is stack search I tried to compromise with the new RCS flow mode, but apparently that doesn't work. Took quite some time to track down that bug... :P

EDIT: Fixed, just me failing to notice the difference between "STACK_PRIORITY_FLOW" and "STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW".

Edited by Ralathon

Just reporting a weird minor bug here: For some reason, if you change the fuel flow definition of LiquidH2 to STACK_PRIORITY_FLOW instead of STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH with this mod KSP hangs on the loading screen.

I'm trying to frankenstein Near Future Propulsion with RealFuels, and since H2 in NFPP is free flowing while LH2 in RF is stack search I tried to compromise with the new RCS flow mode, but apparently that doesn't work. Took quite some time to track down that bug... :P

Please post an output_log.txt file with that. It is in your KSP_Data folder

NOT the ksp.log which is altogether useless.

output_log.txt

Please post an output_log.txt file with that. It is in your KSP_Data folder

NOT the ksp.log which is altogether useless.

output_log.txt

Nevermind, just me being tired. Further searches showed me I confused "STACK" and "STAGE"

Does it work with procedural parts? i see you have some procedural-parts/stretchy-srb tanks in the picture, but it doesnt seem to work for me

Edit: NVM saw the other link.

Edited by 736

Raptor831: I went ahead and just used your config (with credit). Hope that's ok. (I forgot about this).

Regarding RftS: I hope to have it done reasonably soon, apologies for the delay.

Any chance of having a Tri-modal configuration for the stock NTR? :3

@NathanKell: I added the ServiceModule tank type(with more or less properly configured volumes) to the command pods/habitats in my install. However, I need to create a new ServiceModule tank specifically for pods(which I have done already). This using TAC Life Support.

The problem is that the mass f the pod is then altered according to the formula given by

basemass = 0.00003 * volume

What should this be in order to add the pod's own mass to this calculated mass?

All I can think of is

basemass = (volume * 0.00003) + mass

Would that work? And are the brackets required?

EDIT: Sorry for another question: I used @jrandom's config file and his usage rates for the resources. What should the tank(utilisation and mass) values be within the tank type to be more or less realistic?

Edited by ANWRocketMan

ANWRocketMan: As always, no apologies necessary! :)

You want to use basemass = -1 (which will turn off RF changing a part's dry mass).

I'm a bit stumped myself as to reasonable dry masses for life support tanks. You can see what I did here for oxygen for ECLSS (and in these cases volume is in liters of tank); you need to add RF tank support for TAC's resources such that oxygen is compressed to a similar level as ECLSS (where I have it at roughly 200 atmospheres, or 286 grams / liter). Food I would estimate as having a density of maybe 500 g / liter? (i.e. 0.0005 tons/liter) although that may be low-balling how dense rations, rather than food, will be.

For human usage, I use this calculator: http://www.5596.org/cgi-bin/mission.php

Which also gives space requirements in m^3 which may be better than my guesstimates (I *think* mass is net, though, not including tank/container mass). Water will be way over-estimated at that calculator because it includes hygeine water as well as drinking water.

For utilization, Oxygen will be whatever-yields-200atm-compression. For the rest, 1.0. For tank mass, I have not much idea, sorry--Oxygen tanks will be the heaviest, water the lightest (just has to be watertight, really) but food might need some shielding. If not, it'll be lighter than water tanks.

Nathan, iirc I saw a post a while back on hot rockets thread; I think you said something about maybe looking into integrating fuel types and engine effects? That would sure be sweet :D

I left a post there with some pics of different fuel combustion effects irl..

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65754-HotRockets%21-Particle-FX-Replacement-Tutorial?p=1094390&posted=1#post1094390

Ok, all my edits are done(except electronics/electrical power). Had to write an electronics test today first though. Is there any source on how much electrical power spacecraft use on average? Considering heating, cooling systems, the avionics, radios, MFD's etc. for different kind of spacecraft? Manned craft specifically. All I need to sort out now is electrical charge consumption.

Edited by ANWRocketMan

I learned all my orbital physics on that site. Might need to pay a visit again. Thanks. It's something at least.

EDIT:

OK. After some calculations, I came to about 1.5kW - 1.6kW for the Apollo CSM. Considering I'm calibrating for modern vehicles, would a multiplication of about two be reasonable on that(same crew, modern capsule Mk1-2 pod)? When you add the usage of MFD's for example(at around 40W per screen, with the Mk1-2 using RasterProp Monitor at 40W * 11; add around 500W - 800W for guidance and avionics?).

For now I'm then setting the following electrical usage(assuming 1 unit = 1kJ) per day:

Base usage: 2.2kW[standard life support @1.4kW + avionics @0.4kW + additional electronics @0.4kW] * 24hours = 190 080kJ per day

Per-Kerbal usage: ((3 x 40W)[3x MFD displays per-Kerbal] + 360W[additional life support requirements due to increased volume]) * 24hours = 41 472kJ

EVA Usage: This one I'm very torn about. I cannot find much on EVA suits. Nothing on the current EMU. For the Orlan suit I was able to find 53W power usage(the orlan-M used on the ISS) which seems quite low. This would give 4 492.8kJ per day

Edited by ANWRocketMan

NathanKell: So, I've forked RealFuels, and am working on a patch that fully implements tweakables, as follows:

- Fuel tanks will gain an editor button for each "configure to <Engine>" button on their main menu, plus one button that brings up that tank's main menu. Fuel tank main menus will lose the "amount" fields, since this is 100% controllable via the tweakable menu.

- Engines and RCS will gain a slider (or pair of buttons) to adjust tech level, and an editor button to change propellant types. These will completely replace the engine's current menu. If an engine part also contains a fuel tank, changing the engine's propellant types will also automatically reset the fuel tank to an appropriate mixture for that engine.

If I can have this to you by monday, do you think it has a chance of getting rolled in?