[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

It's my understanding that cryogenic fuels are not really suited for anything more than launches and short term use. For in-space missions, hypergolic fuels are probably the best choice. They're much more stable and last a lot longer in storage.

Nuclear Propulsion though :)

Nertea's HeatControl has some very juicy radiator models - not sure if one could use them to refrigerate a cryo tank just yet though.

Apart from that, methane and ammonia make for decent fuels and have friendlier boiling points than liquid hydrogen.

Lolwhoops. Made the release, forgot to post here.

Changelog:

v10.2

• Allow time-based thrust curves.
  • Fix thrust curves to actually work.
  • Add more specific heat capacities for resources.
  • Fix NaN with SolverEngines.
  • basemass now defaults for being for the entire part, not just the utilized portion (i.e. utilization slider is ignored for basemass, always 100%). This will marginally increase tank masses. This can be toggled in MFSSettings.cfg.
  • Update volume and type of some spaceplane adapter tanks.
  • (Finally!) add nacelleBody and radialEngineBody.
  • Fix typo with large Xenon tank; properly patched now.
  • Support any case for 'Full' when setting amount in a TANK.
  • Fix when engine configs could sometimes be empty.
  • Fix up boiloff loss rates for KSP 1.0 heating.
  • Add some heat loss when propellant boils off (due to vaporization heat).

First time user of Real Fuels, using stockalike engine configs (in 3.7 scale Kerbin universe).

I can't get RCS to work. The RCS blocks (stock and Ven's 45degree block) run on hydrazine and the RCS tanks contain hydrazine but the only RCS trusters that work are the ones in a replacement MK1-2 pod that i use. The others don't fire and show 0 isp.

Configured for monoprop none of it works.

First time user of Real Fuels, using stockalike engine configs (in 3.7 scale Kerbin universe).

I can't get RCS to work. The RCS blocks (stock and Ven's 45degree block) run on hydrazine and the RCS tanks contain hydrazine but the only RCS trusters that work are the ones in a replacement MK1-2 pod that i use. The others don't fire and show 0 isp.

Configured for monoprop none of it works.

You yhave to make sure that the Hydrazine reaches the RCS thrusters. The simplest way is to place the RCS on the tank containing the Hydrazine. It doesn't flow around the ship magically as before. Check the Realism Overhaul thread there is a plugin by NahanKell called CrossFeed Enabler. Which solves many of the RCS fuel flow problems.

You can get it here.

First time user of Real Fuels, using stockalike engine configs (in 3.7 scale Kerbin universe). I can't get RCS to work.

Stockalike RF configs comes with an older version of ModuleRCSFX, and it seems there is a bug in it. Should be fixed in current ModuleRCSFX, try to install it manually.

The simplest way is to place the RCS on the tank containing the Hydrazine... CrossFeed Enabler. ..
Stockalike RF configs comes with an older version of ModuleRCSFX, and it seems there is a bug in it. Should be fixed in current ModuleRCSFX, try to install it manually.

Thanks.

I installed both CrossFeed Enabler and the latest ModuleRCSFX but it still does not work. Some of the RCS blocks are in fact mounted on the mk2 lander can which contains Hydrazine, but those to don't work.

You yhave to make sure that the Hydrazine reaches the RCS thrusters. The simplest way is to place the RCS on the tank containing the Hydrazine. It doesn't flow around the ship magically as before. Check the Realism Overhaul thread there is a plugin by NahanKell called CrossFeed Enabler. Which solves many of the RCS fuel flow problems.

You can get it here.

Right right! Because everybody KNOWS that resources crossing decouplers must be magical.....

One word people: UMBILICAL. Let this magic accusation die the miserable horrible death it deserves.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Right right! Because everybody KNOWS that resources crossing decouplers must be magical.....

One word people: UMBILICAL. Let this magic accusation die the miserable horrible death it deserves.

http://imgur.com/a/Usb3t

A very similar mechanical design is used between Dragon 2 and its trunk; you can see the umbilical separation here, right before it drops the trunk:

https://youtu.be/OpH684lNUB8?t=16m18s

And the output log.

Meanwhile: Here's a prerelease of RF v10.3. Please try it out, but NOTE: if you are using AJE as well, you will need to update it to the latest version on the AJE repo (i.e. go to https://github.com/camlost2/AJE and download zip and use the GameData/AJE folder).

RF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrtnru9i86h0yrn/RFv10.3.zip?dl=0

The major thing this adds is unlock costs for engine configs and TLs. RF Stockalike doesn't give configs costs, so you'll only pay for TL upgrades; RO mostly doesn't use TLs, but its configs do have costs. Please try out career and see how it goes.

I'm trying to get RF running along with RSS/RO and currently I am in the state of solving one problem after the another (well, there isn't anywhere a "easy to install" label on it)...

Anyway, RealFuel gives me an empty resource list, when trying to configure tanks. All I got in the GUI is "**Not Found**".