[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Does intergration with CRP mean regolith as well, I know I'd love to have real fuels along with the ability to mine REAL materials like water etc.
No, merely that we're integrating our resources with other modders. It kind of makes sense, especially since TACLS and other mods serve as a bridge between the SoKerbal and Realism crowds, and that Real Fuels/Realism Overhaul can benefit from other resources besides fuel. Plus, we managed to get all the other modders who use CRP to agree to 1unit == 1 liter.

Regolith is a pretty good framework but it'll be sidelined by the new stock resource system that Roverdude is writing (as Roverdude has said himself that he'll be moving over to the stock implementation). As far as Karbonite/Kethane are concerned, they are entirely unrealistic and I'm pretty sure no one who maintains Real Fuels is considering integrating them, although there is a config out there somewhere for Karbonite (by Raptor831, I think?).

Fuel ISRU is pretty simple (you can get ice products for fuel from @750kg of equipment, apparently) but the fuels you can get from in situ resources are fairly limited. For instance, complex hydrocarbons like Syntin/RP-1 aren't going to be made in a spaceship on some random planet; you're pretty much limited to methane/carbon/oxygen/argon products. Good luck with Extraplanetary Launchpads, too. As much fun as that mod is, the infrastructure required to build rockets isn't going to be had on an extraplanetary site for some time, definitely not on the scale of KSP. If we get a RealISRU mod at some point, it'll probably be specific ice and atmosphere products, like collecting methane from Mars' atmosphere to get you home.

E: Just to clarify, this is more of a general "manifesto post" than implying that you wanted Karbonite/Kethane integration.

Edited by regex

Real Fuels don't really have a wiki; most RF information is in the top three posts in this thread, or in the Realism Overhaul wiki.

Utilization controls how much of a given part is used by tankage. Since propellant tanks are pressure vessels, they're usually pill-shaped, so a cylinder "tank" part might have two large pill-shaped tanks in it as well as some smaller spherical ones. Utilization controls the "volume utilization" of the part, then, i.e. how much of the part's total volume is tank volume.

Changelog:

v9.1

* Fixed stock RCS and xenon tank volumes.

* Don't pump into tanks if their flow has been turned off.

* Clamp utilization slider to 1% (avoids a divide-by-zero).

* Fix typos in Tantares tanks. Thanks komodo!

* Unlock input when the RF GUI disappears (fixes a bug where clicking can be locked).

Ok so I'm not supposed to change that? If I set it to 100% it's unrealistic right?

Why it's editable?

It's more accurate to say you shouldn't change it. At least not to unreasonable values. It's editable to allow you to recreate real tanks. But ultimately it's your sandbox and it's up to you to play in it as you like.

Is it normal that for a 40 ton payload, I need to use a massive 5m tall rocket with like 3 stages just to get to Kerbin Orbit? I'm using Real fuels with the stockalike engine configs with RSS. I'm using Kerosene+LOX for the main stage, and LH2+LOX for the two upper stages. All together, I have about 9km/s.

Edited by Insanitic

Uh...payload fractions vary in real life, but let's recall that, say, Falcon Heavy masses about 1500 tonnes and lofts 50 tonnes of payload (notionally). Perhaps the most efficient current LV, Delta IV, can loft 28 tons to LEO off ~750t mass (optimized for LEO it could do a bit better, but not much)--and that's all-hydorlox, not kero + hydro.

Apologies if this might seem obvious to fix, but how the heck do I use the nuclear engines with the uranium rods? I can't find any fuel options for that. I would have to use LH2/LOX which I don't think is as efficient.

Apologies if this might seem obvious to fix, but how the heck do I use the nuclear engines with the uranium rods? I can't find any fuel options for that. I would have to use LH2/LOX which I don't think is as efficient.

What engine pack are you using? (RF doesn't come with engine configurations anymore)

If you're using Raptor's stock alike then there's at least 2 nuclear engines. The one that uses LH2 / LOX is a LANTR engine (LOX Augmented NTR). It can be switched on the fly between using 100% LH2 or LH2 + LOX. Think of the latter as its after burner mode. You get increased thrust for as long as you have LOX.

If you don't want to use that then there is another NTR in the pack that can be configured between LH2, methane or ammonia. LH2 has the best efficiency per kg of propellant but not being very dense you will need a lot of it. Lots of fuel tanks, big fuel tanks. Methane and ammonia have the benefit of compact storage, more thrust (because, density) and much higher boiling points. (trivia: Discovery in the novel/movie 2001: A Space Odyssey used ammonia as its propellant)

@SpaceHungryMan: I am using CKAN for downloading/managing my mods, does it get the latest version from GitHub or from somewhere else?

CKAN is currently supplying RF v9.1 and downloads the .zip from github when you install it.

CKAN is currently supplying RF v9.1 and downloads the .zip from github when you install it.

Its funny, mine isnt:

mTnpTBJ.png

Yeah, im using CKAN 1.5.6 due to it being the only version currently working with the Part Manager Plugin :P

Edited by Thorg
Sorry, image did not show up :/

Assuming there's a picture there (I can only see a no-picture-found thing). Have you tried refreshing? If you have a distinct CKAN problem I recommend opening an issue over at https://github.com/KSP-CKAN so we don't pollute this thread :)

I would gladly open an issue there, but im not sure if its an actual CKAN issue or not :D

I would gladly open an issue there, but im not sure if its an actual CKAN issue or not :D

From your picture it also looks like you're getting an older version of RFStockalike. Latest version is 2.1.4 and was indexed in CKAN 23 hours ago. RF was updated about 3 days ago to 9.1 in the metadata index. When did you last refresh?

I have heard, unconfirmed, that 1.6.5 also works with partmanager. Could be worth a try?

From your picture it also looks like you're getting an older version of RFStockalike. Latest version is 2.1.4 and was indexed in CKAN 23 hours ago. RF was updated about 3 days ago to 9.1 in the metadata index. When did you last refresh?

I have heard, unconfirmed, that 1.6.5 also works with partmanager. Could be worth a try?

Sweet ! Refreshing it got me the new versions, thanks for the tip lol

And the engines come with their own built-in supply of nuclear fuel, you don't add it yourself. You add the propellant (LH2, LCH4, etc).

Oh I see. That clears things up. Oh and another thing. Is there any fuel that never boils off? Most of my Lh2/LOx fuel is gone after a while for my deep interplanetary space missions with the nuke engines.

Oh I see. That clears things up. Oh and another thing. Is there any fuel that never boils off? Most of my Lh2/LOx fuel is gone after a while for my deep interplanetary space missions with the nuke engines.

One option: Radiators. Use them to cool off your tank

Option 2: If LH2+LOX is your only option on that engine then you need to use the one that can use methane or ammonia. It should be in there somewhere. Ammonia has the highest boiling point of the available cryogenic fuels. Per kilogram of propellant it has the lowest performance though that's offset by its compact tanks.

(I use methane for tooling around Kerbin and its moons. It would probably also do well on a Duna mission. For real long distance, like Jool, consider ammonia)

Thanks for those tips Starwaster, the radiators helped.

Also, I think there's something wrong with my Procedural solid fuel booster parts and I'm not sure if it has something to do with Real Fuels.

When I make a solid fuel booster to be the exact same size as the ones found in the Space Shuttle (3.75 m diameter, 45 m length) the wet weight is 200-300 tons more than the real solid fuel boosters. Mine was at 800 tons and the shuttle was around 500 to 600 tons. Does anyone else notice this? It's making my SLS replica unlaunchable even with roughly the same dimensions and engines as the real SLS because of how heavy the solids are.

Use the utilization slider. :)

Hmm, I can't seem to find a utilization slider for the SRBs. I presume burn time is the same to utilization? Oh and take a look at the burn time and nozzle when I change move the slider in the Solid Fuel bar:

screenshot669.jpg

Is that supposed to happen? The burn time is off the charts and the nozzle shrunk to an infinitesimal size.