Science, Money, and Reputation will be exchangable, will there be loss in conversion?

jfull

Science-->Money (patents)

Money-->Science (Research Funding, Theft, Abduction)

Reputation-->Money (Space Program Funding, Extortion)

Science-->Reputation (patents that save lives, like the medical technology that NASA has developed)

Money-->Reputation (Blackmail, Falsification, Assasinations of Critics)

Reputation-->Science (Fear, Intimidation)

The in colored text is just a Jest and needs to be taken with a grain of Salt or lots of humor....

Why do people want the exchange rate server thing? I'm really not understanding the logic...

It could help stop people taking advantage if one commodity is easy to collect and just converting it into another. If this were to happen the price would go up etc etc etc

I personally think it would be turned off by most people if it could be however. I probably would get tired of it very quickly, if I had the option to turn it off I probably would fairly quickly.

Until it became a hindrance it would be interesting however, if properly well thought out it could add an extra dynamic.

It could help stop people taking advantage if one commodity is easy to collect and just converting it into another.

Why is this desirable? Are other players cheating and somehow ruining the game for you?

If it's a game balance issue it should be addressed as such.

Are other players cheating and somehow ruining the game for you?

I am sorry,that made me laugh really hard, not sure how you got that from me throwing out an idea for discussion.

I did make a typo in my first post on here, i meant to say "could" but wrote "should". I blame beer for that and I apologise.

I am sorry,that made me laugh really hard, not sure how you got that from me throwing out an idea for discussion.

Mainly because turning supply and demand within a single-player game into a multi-player affair has no real benefits that I can see other than to railroad people into playing how everyone else isn't playing. For something like CS it makes perfect sense, but for KSP? Maybe for a private multi-player server...

If it were to exist I would want to have it take the form of some sort of fee for the conversion. Something called out and specific. Listing a % is not good enough. I also wouldn't want direct conversions...

You could do things like Purchase Research Projects and have them cost more than the science you get from them...

Or Sell a Patent you spent Science to get... but you should get way more money for that than the science you put in.

I don't think reputation should be able to be spent but higher rep should increase your funding... I suppose maybe it could be "spent" to get a better one time deal on a research project or price on a part or sale price on your patent. You'd have to weigh your cost/benefit from a reduced regular budget for the one time immediate benefit.

You could spend money on PR campaigns to raise your Rep... Science gains should just passively raise your Rep already...

What I really would not want is a direct convert money to science or science to money or whatever combination menu and a % loss or gain... What I mean is I don't want a menu like:

Drop down select: Money, Science, Rep.

type in amount.

Convert to drop down: Money, Science, Rep.

% loss or gain.

Resultant value.

Even if the examples I gave accomplish the same thing they have story fluff and are more structured.

Edited by FITorion

Mainly because turning supply and demand within a single-player game into a multi-player affair has no real benefits that I can see other than to railroad people into playing how everyone else isn't playing. For something like CS it makes perfect sense, but for KSP? Maybe for a private multi-player server...

I very much understand the point you make there, it was the personal bit that I was confused about.

As someones sig on here says as a disclaimer "If I disagree with you it is not meant to be personal" or something like that.

I very much understand the point you make there, it was the personal bit that I was confused about.

Heh, I was being snarky. The real question was the first, "why is it desirable to tie everyone's single-player game to everyone else's?", which led to the snarky comment. Internetz and such.

Heh, I was being snarky. The real question was the first, "why is it desirable to tie everyone's single-player game to everyone else's?", which led to the snarky comment. Internetz and such.

Social gaming is taking over in many ways, shutting a game off from the rest of the world is not always the best thing. I am totally against the "always online" types such as the recent sim city but I am in favour of a halfway house where a local single player game can feel like its part of something bigger.

I agree its not for every game or even all situations in any game but I like interesting ideas and discussion of them.

I understand that sometimes comments take more meaning than they are supposed to, I understood your reason for your comment and I did not take the comment personally, we all feel like that on internet forums! I have made a few comments myself that were far stronger than I intended.

Edited by nine_iron

Social gaming is taking over in many ways, shutting a game off from the rest of the world is not always the best thing. I am totally against the "always online" types such as the recent sim city but I am in favour of a halfway house where a local single player game can feel like its part of something bigger.

In this case, where we have a feature that can really facilitate sandbox play and give the player more freedom to go about their business in their own way, I feel that tying the player to how others play isn't exactly the best way to go about making the game social. There are probably much better approaches to introducing social experiences.

Why do people want the exchange rate server thing? I'm really not understanding the logic...

It would provide the competition that this game lacks. it would drive us to do our missions faster, with decreased cost, and with greater return

So let me get this straight.

Science-->Money (patents)

Money-->Science (Research Funding)

Reputation-->Money (Space Program Funding)

Science-->Reputation (patents that save lives, like the medical technology that NASA has developed)

But how does this work?

Money-->Reputation

Reputation-->Science

The first one could be bribes and/or donation to the tree zoo or something

And the more Rep, the more scientists will be 'hired' and then you get more science

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.