Anyway to stop the green part highlight on mouseover?

Yikes, another recurse through the part tree every frame (I assume update is a per-frame call) to brutishly force it to false.

I know :( I'd like a more elegant solution*, but this is basically the only guaranteed to work method. Plus, it's not terribly CPU intensive, since it's just setting a couple of values anyway.

* Technically, I could disable the highlight at the beginning of the flight and call it a day: but then it might be turned on again by other sources and I would miss it.

Aye, this is the first addon code I've ever looked at (I figured it had to be short since you banged it out so quickly, therefore a good one to check out), so I have no idea what options are available with respect to event handlers and such, especially at a level higher than the part itself (which would obviously be the nicest method if you could get to it... disabling the functionality completely at the "engine" level). Thanks heaps for throwing this together.

Yeah, unfortunately until we get a proper documentation we are just working in the blind. It might be possible to disable it, but I have no idea how.

In fact, parts have a SetHighLightDefault method that produces the green glow behaviour, so I suspect that actually it can't really be turned off.

Well, works anyway :)

• 9 months later...

Hi everybody!

I'll try my best English here, sorry if it's bad.

I want to rebot this post, because of a problem I have.

i'm running 65 mods actually ( only parts I need, and just EVE low res for graphics) and after a long long time improving it, it's now nearly stable...nearly...The only way to crash my game is when I' m in editors (mainly VAB) and put mouse on the stagging sequence whatever the part, and make it glowing gold( yellow...). It's an awsome 0.90 feature for sure, especially to build aspartagus, but it make my game CTD, when I build huge and complicated rockets (no problem building a simple 10 parts one)... I know if I had not so much mods installed, It could work better, but as I said, this modlist is a long time work: I'm just starting my first carrier game since I have KSP ( 0.24).

Opengl says my hardware can't deal with the game's needs... ( what a joke )

I'm not not a modder nether a good PC user...Even if I try to understand hard, I really don't know what to do with this code to make it work in editor...Maybe it could fix my problem...Could someone help me with that please, is it possible disabling yellow glowing in editors ?

i really wish this was an option in the game menu (or at least a cfg flag).

It ruins immersion in game, and is of no real use unless you are trying to select a clipped fuel tank or something. Id love it removed, but until then ill be using the mod. The only other somewhat useful place imo for glow is when clicking on staging, but id be glad to loose that over the forced glow everywhere on mouse over.

i really wish this was an option in the game menu (or at least a cfg flag).

It ruins immersion in game, and is of no real use unless you are trying to select a clipped fuel tank or something. Id love it removed, but until then ill be using the mod. The only other somewhat useful place imo for glow is when clicking on staging, but id be glad to loose that over the forced glow everywhere on mouse over.

Sorry i'm not sure to understand well, does the mod works in editor?

previous page, ippo wrote a short plugin to forcibly remove it

By the way, does anybody know how this behaves in 0.90? I never checked it out (heck, I haven't even *played* since 0.90 was released).

Not sure if it still works with the new glow shader.

By the way, does anybody know how this behaves in 0.90? I never checked it out (heck, I haven't even *played* since 0.90 was released).

Not sure if it still works with the new glow shader.

I'm guessing it works in 0.90, this thread was started after 0.90's release.

part.SetHighlight has a second boolean now so I doubt it'll run (part.SetHighlight(bool active, bool recursive))

Well, C# supports default arguments so it's totally possible that the new argument has a default value and thus the code still runs fine.

I'm guessing it works in 0.90, this thread was started after 0.90's release.

Uhm, OP is from 2nd January 2014.

Well, C# supports default arguments so it's totally possible that the new argument has a default value and thus the code still runs fine

It's not one with a default (defaults are indicated by [bool id = false] for example) so no it won't work (although if that bool does what it says it does, it makes the plugin all of about 2 lines...). (E: nvm, seems the git version is 0.90 updated)

Haha, that will teach me to check quickly, I thought it was Jan 2015. Apologies, please carry on. k_smiley.gif

You make me feel better now :P

Edited by Crzyrndm

I'll try this out later today when I get back home.

EDIT:

Oh the KerbalStuff page says it only works in flight mode - I'm assuming that that is just outdated text. Lol :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

• 4 years later...
On 7/12/2014 at 9:31 PM, Ippo said:

Well, here you go.

Just drop this in the GameData as usual.

3 warnings though:

1. it only works in flight right now, do you need it in the editor too? Because that's actually a little complicated to do;
  2. it will suppress the glow from the mouse just fine: however, if another mod sets the part's glow it will flash for one frame;
  3. I'm not really going to support this, you know. However it's public domain, so just do whatever you want with it.

Hello,

I'm having troubles in the editor; I can't see anything because of the green highlights while placing parts (especially struts)

I know this thread is quite old but I was wondering if you happen to know any solutions to tone it down?

I don't want to completely remove it but currently it's too much and prevents me from seeing the exact point of placement.

44 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

know this thread is quite old but I was wondering if you happen to know any solutions to tone [the green highlights] down?

In recent versions of KSP you can choose from the first main menu 'Settings' -> 'Graphics' -> 'Part Highlighter Brightness Factor'

It is hard to know whether an old thread is still relevant, when you have a question, but it seems this one is not.  You can, if you want, flag your own post to ask a moderator to split it off, so other people searching for the question find the modern solution.

4 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

I'm having troubles in the editor; I can't see anything because of the green highlights while placing parts (especially struts)

I think @Streetwind may have also seen this exact problem -- something about a comma instead of a period in the settings file? In any case, I think he knows the answer.

@bewing @Problemless Mods Wanter

More insidious than that, in fact. I had that problem because the locale that Windows uses (i.e. my country settings) defines a comma as the decimal separation character instead of a period. In my case, that's the German locale. If the explanation I read is correct, then every other person playing on a German computer would also have an overly bright and erratically behaving highlight function in 1.8.0. And perhaps people with other locales might as well, if they also do decimals that way.

It's probably some internal behavior that changed on Unity's end in the new version, and KSP was still assuming the old behavior when they ported over.

The good news, though: this will be fixed for 1.8.1 :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.