[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Jeez how many science mods do you have installed? (And can I have links)

See my sig for a mod list

Good god man! Well I did it, and seems that I have 15 experiments (No idea where they are coming from, don't have any extras as far as I know, though I do have a lot of mods installed), and with some modifiers changed, I can generate 255,000 science. My techtree takes about 50,000. So a modifier of 50% would mean I need a bit less then half of all available science. Is that a good balance you think?

Like DMagic said, up to how you want to play. I want to take a long time and really have to work out where I have to go & do to get the science I need, plus have to rely on stuff like labs to generate some science to push me into the farthest reaches of the tree. But that's me.

See my sig for a mod list

Like DMagic said, up to how you want to play. I want to take a long time and really have to work out where I have to go & do to get the science I need, plus have to rely on stuff like labs to generate some science to push me into the farthest reaches of the tree. But that's me.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. So what ratio are you doing? :)

I think I have a bug report..?

Got awarded a contract to drag a scientist to the Mun to do a bunch of experiments and general mischief. One of the experiments required was to get a core sample. XKCD doesn't allow for core sampling on non-atmospheric worlds. Can't complete the contract.

Like I said, I've reduced my science modifier to 0.025, or 2.5%

Damn thats aggressive. So basically you can't generator enough science, even if you got all of it. You have to use labs and asteroids? Also about labs. Is there a mod, which locks out previously researched data across labs?

Damn thats aggressive. So basically you can't generator enough science, even if you got all of it. You have to use labs and asteroids? Also about labs. Is there a mod, which locks out previously researched data across labs?

I also said I'd still be generating almost 3x as much science as I need. The labs and such will reduce the grind somewhat, but it will still take a good amount of exploring to gather up the points I need, which is what I want.

I played with DMagic and ScanSAT and gains at 60%, on Science Mode. Early on I found getting science a bit tricky, and was snagging bits round Kerbin biomes a bit. Since then it's been a mixed bag. A Mun science station brought a good few thousand and felt a bit overpowered, and then a mission to a heavily modified Jool system got around 4500 Science from orbiting its seven moons and landing on two of them. (I landed on the others as well, but forgot the antennae on my vacuum landers!) That 4500 felt like a lot, but then I realised I need another 6000 to complete the tree, so considering the complexity of the mission - gravicapture at Jool, transferring between moons at different inclinations round Jool while dealing with a ship in polar orbits round the moons, multiple landings on bodies I've never before visited - maybe it wasn't unreasonable. Likewise my Mun station felt like it was giving tons of science easily, but then I did make multiple launches from Kerbin, multiple Mun landings, and tons of orbital rendezvous and docking, so again maybe the science was deserved after all.

That said, I'm regarding finishing the tech tree not as the end but as the beginning. Once I have all parts unlocked I'll add UKS and get serious.

Is there a way to only install the stock science wedges for Universal Storage? Like the mysterygoo and science jr wedges

Yeah, delete all of the other parts.

The same is not true of the other Universal Storage parts, they share textures with the basic parts and won't load if you delete the other parts.

Hey there. I'm a potential new user of this mod, however I'm a bit concerned about science bloating. Is this mod balanced on this front, and what science modifier should I use, if I usually use between 50-60%? :)

Reducing science gains is one way; using an alternative tech tree that requires you to gather more science to fill it out is another :)

I use CTT (takes about 100,000 points to fill out), but the SETI tech tree is also popular.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone getting these 2 bugs. 1st is the surface analyzer keeps saying something like drill cannot impact surface at this distance, no matter where i put the instrument. it worked on 32 bit windows KSP with interstellar extended. right now i'm using 64bit realism overhaul with real solar system in ubuntu.

and then the instruments that draw energy for a few seconds, laser ablator and the hydrogen sample thing, they kept saying not enough electrical charge even though batteries are full and i have some solar panels. sometimes my reaction wheels say the same thing. maybe it's a bug in the game itself.

Many thanks to Dmagic for this great mod! I'm really enjoying it so far.

I am having a strange issue, though. The solar particle collector, normal or US version, doesn't seem to be present. I used ckan to install this orbital science mod along with all the recommended others including community tech tree and universal storage.

Anyone know why it might not be showing up?

anyone getting these 2 bugs. 1st is the surface analyzer keeps saying something like drill cannot impact surface at this distance, no matter where i put the instrument. it worked on 32 bit windows KSP with interstellar extended. right now i'm using 64bit realism overhaul with real solar system in ubuntu.

and then the instruments that draw energy for a few seconds, laser ablator and the hydrogen sample thing, they kept saying not enough electrical charge even though batteries are full and i have some solar panels. sometimes my reaction wheels say the same thing. maybe it's a bug in the game itself.

Is the part aligned correctly, like it is in the gallery in the first post? How far away is it from the ground? Pictures would help.

If you are seeing stock parts that show problems with electricity as well then it's probably something else that is going wrong.

Many thanks to Dmagic for this great mod! I'm really enjoying it so far.

I am having a strange issue, though. The solar particle collector, normal or US version, doesn't seem to be present. I used ckan to install this orbital science mod along with all the recommended others including community tech tree and universal storage.

Anyone know why it might not be showing up?

Not showing up as in not showing up in the tech tree? Is it available in sandbox mode? Is the folder present (GameData\DMagicOrbitalScience\ProbeScience\SolarParticleCollector)? Are all of the other parts working?

well for the electricity bug, i think it was because I had the apollo/lunar science instruments from KAS mod (I think?). when I take them off the vehicle, the bug stopped. they generate and use electricity at the same time, according to the description. it was also weird because sometimes the laser ablator and hydrogen sampler would work on the 2nd or 3rd try on a simple vehicle with the KAS instruments, but not with a complicated vehicle. and some other times a complicated vehicle with both those 2 instrumnts and KAS instruments might work if i add 6 or 8 station-sized solar panels. but anyway i think it has something to do with the stock bug for electricity, made worse by the KAS instruments.

for the surface analyzer drill, i place it like in the photo in the first page. i tried it with various heights but didnt' work. i can still run resource analysis and system check but can't do the drill part. the surface analyzer drill did work for me with 32 bit ksp windows and interstellar mod. it doesn't work for me in 32 bit ksp windows and RO/RSS or 64 bit ksp linux with RO/RSS. i have a screenshot of trying it out on 32bit RO/RSS windows. basic probe core with a procedural fuel tank full of electricity. it's about 4m tall.

GkViTgo.jpg

for the surface analyzer drill, i place it like in the photo in the first page. i tried it with various heights but didnt' work. i can still run resource analysis and system check but can't do the drill part. the surface analyzer drill did work for me with 32 bit ksp windows and interstellar mod. it doesn't work for me in 32 bit ksp windows and RO/RSS or 64 bit ksp linux with RO/RSS. i have a screenshot of trying it out on 32bit RO/RSS windows. basic probe core with a procedural fuel tank full of electricity. it's about 4m tall.

Are you using TweakScale? Is there anything in the logs when you try to run the experiment?

Are you using TweakScale? Is there anything in the logs when you try to run the experiment?

I have TweakScale installed for RO/RSS through CKAN. I don't adjust any of the configs though. Maybe the difference from the ground to what the drill thinks is the ground is very different. Not sure where logs are.

I have TweakScale installed for RO/RSS through CKAN. I don't adjust any of the configs though. Maybe the difference from the ground to what the drill thinks is the ground is very different. Not sure where logs are.

You can get to the logs in-game with Alt+F2 or looking around in the Alt+F12 debug menu. The files are stored in the KSP folder in KSP.log, or the KSP_Data folder in Output_log.txt.

Does the problem happen everywhere? It should work on the launch pad, but all of the KSC structures are handled a bit differently from regular terrain and that might be causing issues with RO/RSS.

Version 1.0.8 might have problems with KSP 1.0.5. Specifically, the new transmission interrupt function isn't implemented by my parts. I'm not sure what will happen if you try to run this in the new version. It should be a simple fix, but I might not get to it for a little while.

TweakScale recently got an update (Oct-30). Among other things, I fixed a similar bug with the stock drills (the impact range value of ModuleResourceHarvester was not scaled). It might be worth to check if the issue also occurs with the version before: TweakScale v2.2.1.

Version 1.0.9 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff.

It has been updated for KSP 1.0.5; it will not work with old versions of KSP.

The new transmission interrupt function has been implemented and will return the data to the part if you run out of electricity during transmission. There are also a few other tweaks to experiment power usage and TweakScale compatibility.

Version 1.0.9 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff.

It has been updated for KSP 1.0.5; it will not work with old versions of KSP.

The new transmission interrupt function has been implemented and will return the data to the part if you run out of electricity during transmission. There are also a few other tweaks to experiment power usage and TweakScale compatibility.

I still get nada when I right click any of the experiments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.