Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

what about this one, i think it looks good as desktop background. but the lander is a little pixelated though.

http://i.imgur.com/CfHItqB.png

I'm a sucker for lens flare moon shots, reminds me of Tycho where they dug up the Monolith. Monkey Bias??

One way to reduce pixelation in shots like that when AA is not available is to toggle the view angle to make it portrait style and then reduce.

AMLV update:

d8MZfM.jpg

^ Changed engine mount dimensions and texture. Before it looked like a bucket.

Edited by YANFRET

I'm a sucker for lens flare moon shots, reminds me of Tycho where they dug up the Monolith. Monkey Bias??

One way to reduce pixelation in shots like that when AA is not available is to toggle the view angle to make it portrait style and then reduce.

AMLV update:

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2526/d8MZfM.jpg

^ Changed engine mount dimensions and texture. Before it looked like a bucket.

Ok thanks, could you please make a list of the things you have planed :D.

I just realized the BE-4 in Aerojet Kerbodyne was already being used. Was busy back then so forgot to check. Looks like it's in good hands. :P

That's because your inbox got full in the middle of our conversation :o

Ok thanks, could you please make a list of the things you have planed :D.

Well I cant make a list for you tonight, but I can tease you with more screenshots of what is being worked on right now.

AMLV being tested with various upper stages, and a sneak peek at the new Aerojet Kerbodyne engine basket.

HfhMP4.jpg

uyQn0d.jpg

Something that has been very much on my mind recently is reducing the memory footprint of the Chaka pack. With the latest projects we're working on, I could see it easily reaching 375 mb on disk unless something is done.

One solution would be to split it into two or three sub packs, however there would be parts overlap from each and then it could be a lot more for us to keep up with. Also, full the user might end up having to load the full pack anyway as missions expand from LKO to DUNA.

Another is to eliminate some of the most memory expensive parts if possible, however several candidates for removal have been rejected as they do contribute great value.

Perhaps 375mb on disk (we're not there yet, but it could happen) isn't so terrible, those who need more room can still use ATM and those who don't want to can use Chaka in a separate install with fewer other mods. I'm not sure, what do you guys think?

Edited by YANFRET

Ok...just for testing purposes i deleted the whole BoulderCo folder...but it still looks odd! So thats not the trick -.-

If you have more then one install or if you can take out ATM and load the game that would have been a better way to see if thats the problem which think its about 80 % right and the file can be anywhere there maybe one in ASET mod folder looks like it might be on the part cfg like I said, I haven't used ATM in sometime my computer worked hard with it then it does with out it and maybe they fixed that by now.

//----- ATM Config (thanks Green Skull)-----------------------------------------

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = ASET
enabled = true

NORMAL_LIST
{
texture = ASET/ALCOR_LanderCapsule/Part/ALCORtempNormalMap2_NRM
}

OVERRIDES
{
ASET/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
filtering = Trilinear
make_not_readable = false
compress_normals = false
mipmaps_normals = false
scale_normals = 1
max_size_normals = 0
}

}

}

EDIT- That was in ASET/ALCOR_LanderCapsule/part and you will is ALCOR.cfg open it with notepad.

EDIT- Or make sure you have everything installed in the right place.

Edited by Mecripp2

Will the AMLV replace the EMLV, or will they be used together?

Good question I haven't decided yet. We need to refine the system and establish pros and cons of each.

Also I was considering splitting the pack into three parts, one for Lko, one for Mun, and one for Duna. Maybe in doing so we can establish separate roles for each.

I must have done something wrong or looked at it wrong but thought, I started CMES folder was 345 MB, I converted all the texture that was TGA to PNG and all the textures that was 1024 got cut down to 512 so now it says CMES folder is right at 168 MB rounded up and, All looks the same to me.

EDIT- And if, I know alittle about textures looks like a couple of spots might be about to do alittle more texture sharing.

Edited by Mecripp2

I must have done something wrong or looked at it wrong but thought, I started CMES folder was 345 MB, I converted all the texture that was TGA to PNG and all the textures that was 1024 got cut down to 512 so now it says CMES folder is right at 168 MB rounded up and, All looks the same to me.

EDIT- And if, I know alittle about textures looks like a couple of spots might be about to do alittle more texture sharing.

PNG does not save ram it's only smaller on disk, and the texture sizes are final and sharing is already optimized in the last update, but you're right there are one or two sharing opportunities, but most of them are on small textures anyway so not much dif

Edited by YANFRET

PNG does not save ram it's only smaller on disk, and the texture sizes are final and sharing is already optimized in the last update, but you're right there are one or two sharing opportunities, but most of them are on small textures anyway so not much dif

The biggest deal is 1024 and 512 some computers you can't tell they look the same it's like so people like 8k sky box, I can't tell a 8k from a 4k.

EDIT- And the 8k will use more ram that is a quick test you can run is all stock change you sky box to a 8k and see how much ram it's eatting and the 4k and check ram and like, I said some of us can't tell a 8k from a 4k and save some ram.

Edited by Mecripp2

The biggest deal is 1024 and 512 some computers you can't tell they look the same it's like so people like 8k sky box, I can't tell a 8k from a 4k.

EDIT- And the 8k will use more ram that is a quick test you can run is all stock change you sky box to a 8k and see how much ram it's eatting and the 4k and check ram and like, I said some of us can't tell a 8k from a 4k and save some ram.

On those few that are so large, I can tell the difference and consider those important.

Chaka Vulcan development test article

cc30AI.jpg

NC7_Vulcan413201560903PM63.jpg

Okay so the new ULA vehicle has a name, a proposed SRB config, and an engine mount strucutre. Seems like we need to make a few adjustments as development continues.

Perhaps it's time for Chaka to have a Centaur model as well.

Edited by YANFRET

chaka vulcan development test article

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/7268/cc30ai.jpg

http://spaceflightnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/nc7_vulcan413201560903pm63.jpg

okay so the new ula vehicle has a name, a proposed srb config, and an engine mount strucutre. Seems like we need to make a few adjustments as development continues.

Perhaps it's time for chaka to have a centaur model as well.

ummmm yes please!!

Maybe something like http://i.imgur.com/IK9dk7O.gif

Right idea, different shape and engine :P Actually the casing looks very simple to make, just a cylinder with two slices chopped from either side and then a little rectangle attached to the bottom bit and holes cut out for the engines.

Or to be specific, this shape:

lHjwgw.jpg

The inside of the "vegetable slice" area looks cut out from the inside because of the brightness

Edited by YANFRET

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.