Mun Landing + Return.

Hey everyone! New to the forum and the game. I bought the game on New Years Eve and have been playing a few hours a day since then.

So far so good. Took me a while to get the hang of orbiting proper, but with some fairly straight forward tutorials I am confident that I know how to plan, achieve and adjust an orbit around the Kerbin or the Mun.

I have successfully sent several craft to the Mun to orbit and have landed two of them to within 20k of where I wanted to go. (Plus one that was a crash landing. The other two were Rescue missions)

The problem is, I have no fuel... So now I have three brave (albeit stupid) Kerbals on the moon, but I don't have a rocket that is capable of seeing the task completed.

I tried to modify my rocket design to solve the problem, but I can't seem to find the right balance.. I have tried several different approaches and read every damn tutorial on the net it feels like, but I just can't seem to build the rocket I need.

Granted, The landers that I am building are big, bulky and beautiful... Maybe impractical?

Can someone help me design a good rocket setup which will get me to the moon and back, as well as around the solar system if I desire. Also, if anyone has a good lander design that is lightweight, I would be interested to know what Im doing wrong.

As far as science tree, I have the entire 45 line, plus Fuel Systems and Electronics in the 90 line.

Please and thank you.

First a stupid question: you are using stages for getting into orbit, right?

Put on a couple of detachable fuel tanks on the sides of your lander. Use their fuel to land safely, and then leave them at the Mun and use the fuel in the core tank to burn back into orbit and back to Kerbin.

That should solve the fuel problem, though the extra tanks really shouldn't be necessary just for going to the Mun.

How are your landers built? Bulky is generally impractical, yeah. :P

Can you show us some pictures of your crafts and maybe your trajectories so we can tailor our advice? It's possible your rockets might be up to the task, but your maneuvers are inefficient, or your whole craft may need some adjusting.