[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Ah yes, mechanum wheels. Always wondered if there was a way to create those in KSP.

I have an idea of how they could be done in the game, but we'll have to see.

Btw, for those wondering, this is (one of the reasons) why wheels need to be created before the Foldatrons are finished :D

_389faae35bed44efaa8159b3fdb59217

Thanks :D. Those wheels turned out rather well in the end. Not sure how useful they'll be, given the existence of the other wheels, but maybe people will like the variety. Of course, the wheels and any other utilities will be offered as a separate download for those concerned with the number of parts in this mod :)

Speaking of other utilities, I had chance to update the magnetic grabber I modelled a while ago, as well as make it fit within the athlete proportions. Since the wheels are modelled, the foldatron dimensions are close to being finalised. You can see how both fit below:

_fcc66907fd8a4f7f88061e663eccc9db

One thing I'd like to do with the grabber is give it a toggleable light source. Does anyone know of a good tutorial I could follow for this, or provide advise on the setup needed? Thanks

Brilliant. I just can't get over how authentic everything you make looks. What are those yellow dots around the magnet?

That means a lot, thanks! I will admit for some of the parts I do resort to 3D CAD to help figure out the finer mechanical details. Also, KSP gives the the opportunity to make the robot designs my job doesn't allow, so I tend to apply the same thought processes.

They're the lights I mentioned. The idea being they'd be activated to make the whole grabbing procedure easier, or just giving players a directable light source.

They look great, how do the wheels steer? That six legged one above for example, can it translate, rotate (on the spot) and drive forwards with normal left/right steering?

That's the idea! Originally they were just going to be steerable using rotatrons, but the normal servo window made them tedious to control, so now a plugin solution is being explored. In fact if you look back a few pages there was another wheel design and a video showing some WIP code lo-fi has been developing to allow full 3DOF motion. It's pretty cool!

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Agh, the teases. Are you not going to update the part packs with some of the new parts? ;)

Appologies :P. This is what I'm working towards, and now I've got the wheel proportions nailed down it shouldn't be too long before the foldatrons are out in the open.

Also, we can just delete the legacy IR parts and use yours if we so desire, right?

Sure you can! You may not want to get rid of everything though as things like the adjustable rails and gantries aren't in the rework yet, so you'd be loosing that functionality if you just removed the entire folder.

I have an idea of how they could be done in the game, but we'll have to see.

Btw, for those wondering, this is (one of the reasons) why wheels need to be created before the Foldatrons are finished :D

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR_HeavyAthlete.png/_389faae35bed44efaa8159b3fdb59217

That is exciting :)

When is it ready for release :D, no pressure please :D

That is exciting :)

When is it ready for release :D, no pressure please :D

Wheels are a long way off, as the plugin needs to be developed first. The foldatrons will be sooner, but I can't give an eta.

Had a brief moment to get the KAS Magnet/Light, now called Grabatron (better name suggestions welcome), in game. Still don't know how to properly set up the light, so if anyone has any info then please let me know :)

_4086a07adbd845fd8acf1be5b2078504

_53c3d9febf494eb98981beec2367c90f

_611cd4f2902949d38cb71b062e0d15ed

_074657ad251c41439102d2eee90a4cf0

If you want to have some fun with pronouncing it then you can call it the Atract-tron, as it's not really grabbing objects as it is attracting them.

Anyway the light seems to work in that picture. What's wrong?

I added a spotlight into the unity scene. I have no idea what needs to be done to make KSP control it (just adding the modules doesn't seem to work). Also, how should I properly tie the emissive to it?

I added a spotlight into the unity scene. I have no idea what needs to be done to make KSP control it (just adding the modules doesn't seem to work). Also, how should I properly tie the emissive to it?

I don't know sorry. All I know is that it's an animation that you set up in Unity after creating an emissive map. In your case it would be simply a black texture with white dots where the light UVs are. Maybe try having a look in the config files for Aviation Lights. Or maybe not. I think it uses its own plugin.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

So since this is just skins (I think?), it should be compatible with 24.2 even though it's not technically 'updated'?

It's models rather than skins. Provided Infernal Robotics is working well with 0.24, you should just be able to install these and have them work. If you try, please let me know of any oddities you may have, and I'll see about updating.

So since this is just skins (I think?), it should be compatible with 24.2 even though it's not technically 'updated'?

Infernal Robotics and TweakScale changed enough that the extendatrons stopped working correctly, so I made a Module Manager patch and posted it here. I'm planning on testing it again today since there have been more changes to IR and TS in the past week and a half. Let me know if there's anything going wrong.

Btw just sent you a PM to address the mass scaling of the Stackable Extendatrons, as it wasn't following the cubed root relation.

Glad I'd made a note about how you were probably going to change the Stackable Exendatrons' masses. I think I'd just taken the piston masses and scaled them by (large extendatron mass/large piston mass).

Anyway, updated, and sent you a PM with the link and more info.

Wheels are a long way off, as the plugin needs to be developed first. The foldatrons will be sooner, but I can't give an eta.

Had a brief moment to get the KAS Magnet/Light, now called Grabatron (better name suggestions welcome), in game. Still don't know how to properly set up the light, so if anyone has any info then please let me know :)

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR%20Grabatron1.jpg/_4086a07adbd845fd8acf1be5b2078504

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR%20Grabatron2.jpg/_53c3d9febf494eb98981beec2367c90f

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR%20Grabatron3.jpg/_611cd4f2902949d38cb71b062e0d15ed

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR%20Grabatron4.jpg/_074657ad251c41439102d2eee90a4cf0

Hi ZodiusInfuser, you should know that I don't mean it soo serious that I ask for a detailed ETA. But I really like it, the ideas you work out here are so fantastic.

Wheels that fit into the foldatron, grabatron with integrated light, it might sound like totally trivial but noone had These ideas before for the game.

You really have my respect, your work really enriches the sandbox a lot.

Hi ZodiusInfuser, you should know that I don't mean it soo serious that I ask for a detailed ETA.

I know you weren't. I just feel its important to keep mentioning that there's no real schedule to the work I'm doing. I don't even try to tie in with IR or KSP releases anymore :P

But I really like it, the ideas you work out here are so fantastic.

Wheels that fit into the foldatron, grabatron with integrated light, it might sound like totally trivial but noone had These ideas before for the game.

You really have my respect, your work really enriches the sandbox a lot.

Thanks. There's a wealth of reference material out there for robotics that has yet to be tapped by the KSP community, and as one of the few roboticists here I feel its my duty to make all these ideas a reality! Plus, modding KSP is a lot easier than my RL robotics work, which I've just heard that I will be presenting both my scientific papers at a conference in September \o/. Is Chicago nice that time of year?

Thanks to nli2work over in the Modelling sub-forum, I've managed to get the light controlling correctly for the Grabatron/Attractron/Magnetron (please say which you like best, or suggest others). Still need to tweak some of the KAS stuff, but if all goes to plan I should be able to pre-release that part tomorrow.

_e225c58cdfcc4df9a6945b35e12d232b

_2e78f4cf31b04a97b5cb86a829dd76e1

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Oooh!

I kept adding stock lights to my robotic arms. Good to know I won't have to much longer. :D

I like magnetron (and almost suggested it) until I remembered it's the name for a real thing – it generates the microwaves in your microwave.

Maybe grappletron? Like grappler, not grapple.

I know you weren't. I just feel its important to keep mentioning that there's no real schedule to the work I'm doing. I don't even try to tie in with IR or KSP releases anymore :P

Thanks. There's a wealth of reference material out there for robotics that has yet to be tapped by the KSP community, and as one of the few roboticists here I feel its my duty to make all these ideas a reality! Plus, modding KSP is a lot easier than my RL robotics work, which I've just heard that I will be presenting both my scientific papers at a conference in September \o/. Is Chicago nice that time of year?

Thanks to nli2work over in the Modelling sub-forum, I've managed to get the light controlling correctly for the Grabatron/Attractron/Magnetron (please say which you like best, or suggest others). Still need to tweak some of the KAS stuff, but if all goes to plan I should be able to pre-release that part tomorrow.

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR%20Grabatron5.jpg/_e225c58cdfcc4df9a6945b35e12d232b

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/IR%20Grabatron6.jpg/_2e78f4cf31b04a97b5cb86a829dd76e1

Chicago? Don't you mean Chiraq? :)

Nice work on the lights for the grabber. Glad I brought it up because I'm going to use the crap out of it. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.