[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

GeeALS is indeed the surface gravity, the units specifically is the 'g' which is surface level gravity of earth and kerbin or exactly 9.81 m/s2 so yes GeeASL = 25 would give an acceleration of nearly 245m/s2. Assuming it's constant (which it isn't). Falling from a height of 100 meters will mean that you land(without air resistence) at approximately 220m/s. which is quite deadly.

Regarding SE to get a good texture, what I personally do is get the speculator map and then use Gimp's gradient map feature under colors and export it as the planetName_height. As the heighmaps from SE are honestly not perfect. To get textures in general you go into the planetarium focus the planet you want, hit esc and click editor. Then export planet getting the specular map which you will need to rename. Also for ocean planets you want to use the Kerbin cfg I posted as a template for now. When getting the texture use the specular map with painted oceans.

Regarding SE to get a good texture, what I personally do is get the speculator map and then use Gimp's gradient map feature under colors and export it as the planetName_height. As the heighmaps from SE are honestly not perfect. To get textures in general you go into the planetarium focus the planet you want, hit esc and click editor. Then export planet getting the specular map which you will need to rename. Also for ocean planets you want to use the Kerbin cfg I posted as a template for now. When getting the texture use the specular map with painted oceans.

Thanks ... ! Going to experiment right now.

Edit: well, your advice was bulls-eye. Managed to fabricate a decent looking planetoïd within 15 minutes ... !

Edited by Bekiekutmoar

I'm running into a bit of a problem with the whole 'radius' thing. I understand that I need to change both 'Radius' in 'CelestialBody' and 'radius' in 'PQS,' but when I do so, my (test) planet appears like this:

2rn9f85.png

I'm not able to zoom in any further, and the planet is surrounded by a strange green border (much more prominent than what is normal with Jool-based planets). When I comment out both 'Radius' and 'radius' though, the planet's radius defaults to 6000 kilometers (radius of Jool) and I'm able to zoom in to it like any other planet. Any idea what can be done to fix this? I don't want to be constrained by the standard planets' radii.

Edit: Here's the .cfg if it is of interest:

PFBody
{
name=Jupiter2
templateName=Jool
flightGlobalsIndex=700
}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription=Description
GeeASL=2.528
rotates=True
Radius=69911000
rotationPeriod=35730
tidallyLocked=False
}

Orbit
{
inclination = 1.305
eccentricity = 0.048775
semiMajorAxis = 778547200000
//Radius=60000000
LAN = 100.492
argumentOfPeriapsis = 275.066
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 18.818
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Sun
}

PQS
{
radius=69911000
}

Edited by Omicron314

I'm running into a bit of a problem with the whole 'radius' thing. I understand that I need to change both 'Radius' in 'CelestialBody' and 'radius' in 'PQS,' but when I do so, my (test) planet appears like this:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2rn9f85.png

I'm not able to zoom in any further, and the planet is surrounded by a strange green border (much more prominent than what is normal with Jool-based planets). When I comment out both 'Radius' and 'radius' though, the planet's radius defaults to 6000 kilometers (radius of Jool) and I'm able to zoom in to it like any other planet. Any idea what can be done to fix this? I don't want to be constrained by the standard planets' radii.

Edit: Here's the .cfg if it is of interest:

PFBody
{
name=Jupiter2
templateName=Jool
flightGlobalsIndex=700
}

CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription=Description
GeeASL=2.528
rotates=True
Radius=69911000
rotationPeriod=35730
tidallyLocked=False
}

Orbit
{
inclination = 1.305
eccentricity = 0.048775
semiMajorAxis = 778547200000
//Radius=60000000
LAN = 100.492
argumentOfPeriapsis = 275.066
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 18.818
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Sun
}

PQS
{
radius=69911000
}

As far as I know the only thing you can mess with in the configs of a Jool based planet are the name/description and orbital parameters. Don't mess with the radius unless you are using the kittopia editing tools.

Oh that's an easy fix. For some reason he has got it so that the files are produced with a _ at the end of the file name. This is presumably so that you can create second set to test it before it overwrites the previous file. To keep it between launches all you need is to edit the map, normal and bin files without the _ and your good.

I've been trying to make a small moon that orbits kerbin right outside it's atmosphere, but I have no clue how to edit the Kerbin system since there's no folder for it or anything. Is there a written tutorial on the subject?

it doesn't really work like that. The entire folder system for defining system is just for organization(there's no point releasing a moon for a planet that doesn't exist either stock-or stock-pf or in that pack). All you need to do is set the orbital parameters of your planet to be around Kerbin, though I would warn you, KSP is not n-body - You'll get physics-glitches if you place a moon to low.

I'm having a bit of a problem when actually trying to play with this mod. Why when I have this installed do the KSC buildings become unclickable after an atmospheric entry? Is there any way to fix this?

hmm... that's odd. What mods do you have? Also what planet packs are you using if any? Do you have the output log for a test where this happened? if possible a log with only this event occurring would be best to analyze. :)

Poles have weird terrain like that.

One time, i was testing one of my planets, not in JoolPlus, but a something before that, and the north pole of that planet, was a depression, with black in the center.

I wanted to make a dense moon with gravity 0.2 and radius 25km, but it has a ridiculously tiny SOI. I know that SOI is based off of GeeASL and radius AND Radius, but I looked at planets made by other people because they have tiny objects with high SOI and similar gravity. I tried doing exactly what they did, because the planets in their mods somehow have a higher SOI, like 100km, while mine is 40km. I know you can add the term sphereOfInfluence=100, but that only works if you reload the cfg file each time you reload the game. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Apparently, the SOI of a moon is ALSO dependent on it's orbit distance from the parent planet. It would be nice if we could manually edit SOI though!

Edited by Strikerklm96

hmm... that's odd. What mods do you have? Also what planet packs are you using if any? Do you have the output log for a test where this happened? if possible a log with only this event occurring would be best to analyze. :)

Hmm... Well it seems I was partially incorrect. Seems to be an issue with Hyperedit and PF not cooperating. This and HE seem to work fine on their own, but PF seems to be provoking Hyperedit into doing some rather unusual things, like creating a transparent overlay over the menu for some reason until the game is restarted. Here's a log if still interested. Right at 18:32:45.051 is where it happens (not sure WHAT exactly, but there it is).

http://pastebin.com/QPbQnLz1

EDIT: Jebus, LOD sure spams the hell out of the log

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.