Planetary Lag

For some unknown reason any time i have any planet surface on screen, i get killer lag. My frame rate drops to less then one frame per second. I have lowered my res and any other settings as far as i can to try fixing it. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions on what i can do to fix it?

Edited by Wytewolf

It's a known problem. This should help:

(I'm quoting my own post from here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64651-Serious-Lag-where-atmosphere-in-field-of-view)

The problem is caused by the way water is drawn on Kerbin and other planets that have ''oceans'' (Eve and Laythe). It has affected some people since 0.15 or 0.16, can't remember exactly. Something the devs changed in 0.23 caused the problem to appear for many people that did not have it before.

You can reduce the lag significantly by editing the settings.cfg file found in the game folder.

Basically, open the settings.cfg file in notepad and search for the word 'ocean'

You will find something like this:

PLANET

{

name = KerbinOcean

minDistance = 4

minSubdivision = 1

maxSubdivision = 6

}

There are nine entries like this, three entries each for KerbinOcean, EveOcean and LaytheOcean, under different terrain detail presets.

Change the minDistance and maxSubdivision numbers to something like 2 for all of the KerbinOcean entries, and save the settings.cfg file.

This will cause some weird glitches with the ocean (for example, when your pod splashes down into the sea, it will appear to hover several meters above sea level and the sea will look strange from orbit), but your performance should increase dramatically. Play around with the minDistance and maxSubdivision parameters untill you find an acceptable tradeoff between performance and glitches...

Of course, you can do the same for EveOcean and LaytheOcean to reduce lag if you are planning to go to Eve or Laythe any time soon. Experiment with just KerbinOcean at first and when you find the parameters that work for you, apply them to EveOcean and LaytheOcean entries as well.

That was apparently a badly asked question on my part. I was quoting part of what Wytewolf said.

any planet

I wondered if the performance issue occurs anywhere else. If it was happening on planets (and moons) without oceans then it would be something else that was causing the problem, perhaps alongside the water issue which seems to affect everyone anyway.

I haven't had any trouble with the water but have found loading land terrain sometimes slows my system for a moment. All in all, my computer handles terrain remarkably well, but has trouble with high part count ships - it can handle a 200 part ship at launch better than it can handle a 300 part ship in high orbit. I think it's largely a matter of your graphics card and drivers.

Your GPU or CPU seems to be having trouble generating the textures. If your lag is THAT bad, I would seriously recommend a rig upgrade. Also, please put your computer specs in the post.

I went from a Dell Inspiron, an office computer, cerca 2009, to a pimped out Gaming PC. I can say the game is sooo sooo much more enjoyable when you can play it with excellent performance.

If you don't have a graphics card and are running on Integrated Motherboard graphics, you can buy a $30-$40 graphics card and get a significant performance increase.

Change your computer's graphics down. You should be able to by right clicking the desktop. It worked when I was getting only 1 fps while playing Minecraft, so I'm not sure how much it will work on KSP. It should work though. If that doesn't work, I recommend buying a new computer.

Change your computer's graphics down. You should be able to by right clicking the desktop.

I don't see any options for that when I right-click on desktop or go into settings. Do you mean the menu in KSP? I already tried that.

If that doesn't work, I recommend buying a new computer.

I love KSP, but I'm not going to buy a brand new computer just to have the next version. If that's my only remaining option, I guess all I can do is stick with 0.22 and hope Squad fixes this in the next update.

Helps me too. I thought it was just my computer, but kerbin and eve have been slowing me up bad of late while everything else is fine.

On kerbin, no matter where I was, it was lagsbaned to yellow. On mun, same craft fine and smooth. Once I look at the sky in kerbin, significant performance increase. I will need to try this as well.

Try setting the physics delta slider back to 1 they changed the default setting to something like 0.4, my MacBook Pro did not like this at all I had the exact same problems as you. Now I've set it to 1 everything runs nice and smooth like it use to.

EDIT. That should be 0.10 not 1:blush:

Edited by OptimumAmoeba
Wrong info

Try setting the physics delta slider back to 1 they changed the default setting to something like 0.4, my MacBook Pro did not like this at all I had the exact same problems as you. Now I've set it to 1 everything runs nice and smooth like it use to.

I'll give that a try. But what exactly does the delta slider do?

EDIT: I can't set it to 1; the highest it'll go is 0.12. But that seems to have done the trick, so thank you. :)

Edited by Mitchz95

I'll give that a try. But what exactly does the delta slider do?

EDIT: I can't set it to 1; the highest it'll go is 0.12. But that seems to have done the trick, so thank you. :)

No problem, sorry about getting it wrong there, I was on my phone on the way to work so I didn't have the info to hand.

I think i have mine set to 0.10. you may find you can turn your graphics settings back up if you turned them down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.