Lag problems :(

Hi everyone!! Soo i realy like the plane part of KSP but my PC just doesn't agree with me. When I am in the atmosphere of Kerbin the game laggs almost unplayably :( .

I dont have a beast computer here are the specs: Ram:1.5 GB; Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz; Video card: ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 series Secondary.

Please leave suggestions, but keep in mind that I don't find stuff as ''buy new PC" usefull :) .Thank you and fly safe :D

P.S: Yes I lowered everything from the graphics settings down to max :).

Edited by FuriousBanana

Try the Squad Texture Reduction Mod from the Spaceport. I too play the game with a Byzantine PC (slightly more memory than you, less processor speed, way worse graphics chipset) and it's improved the game's performance considerably.

Some other advice - this is not my spiel originally; don't recall whose it is:

The way KSP draws water causes extreme lag on certain computers.

You can reduce the lag significantly by editing the settings.cfg file found in the game folder.

Basically, open the settings.cfg file in notepad and search for the word 'ocean'

You will find something like this:

PLANET

{

name = KerbinOcean

minDistance = 4

minSubdivision = 1

maxSubdivision = 6

}

There are nine entries like this, three entries each for KerbinOcean, EveOcean and LaytheOcean, under different terrain detail presets.

Change the minDistance and maxSubdivision numbers to something like 2 for all of the KerbinOcean ones, and save the settings cfg.

This will cause some weird glitches with the ocean (for example, when your pod splashes down into the sea, it will appear to hover several meters above sea level and the sea will look strange from orbit), but your performance should increase dramatically. Play around with the minDistance and maxSubdivision parameters untill you find an acceptable tradeoff between performance and glitches...

Of course, you can do the same for EveOcean and LaytheOcean to reduce lag if you are planning to go to Eve or Laythe any time soon. Experiment with just KerbinOcean at first and when you find the parameters that work for you, apply them to EveOcean and LaytheOcean entries as well.

Finally if push comes to shove, try aiming your camera so the ground is out of view completely as early on as you can manage. That seems to help improve performance.

Edited by capi3101

Both your CPU and RAM are quite inadequate for KSP (as it's very CPU-dependent and RAM-hogging game). So, you need to save your resources, as much as you can.

- Try Active Texture Management plugin (aggressive version) - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-10-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs!

- Try to disable HyperThreading on your CPU (I don't quite remember if 3.06\533FSB Northwood has it; 3.0\800FSB does), it can help to squeeze some FPS since HT usually performs badly in games

- Don't leave any software (antivirus, browser, etc) in background when playing KSP

I play on a MacBook Pro, so I kill my graphics but changing the delta-time seems to not do too much. Graphics are the biggest problem for KSP because it runs on a 32-bit engine while most of our OSes run at 64 bits. If you have more than about 2GB of RAM, you'll not get too much from changing the delta-time. Once Squad removes their craniums from their rectums and moves KSP to a 64-bit engine that actually uses 2+ cores, we'll see a significant increase in performance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.