Locked Sandbox mode?

I love KSP's sandbox mode, but I was curious to see what people would think about this:

What if Squad locked Sandbox mode until a player completed the career mode? Or at least got to a certain milestone like visiting Duna?

This would encourage players to think in more interesting ways instead of reaching for the nearest over sized booster and maybe they'd explore more of the solar system than they would expect!

Or not.... Like I said, I was just curious to see what people would think about this. :b

I have to agree wit the vending machine on this one. Some people just don't want to have to finnagle with all that science and contract stuff, and just wanna get right into rocket launching. If you don't want to play sandbox mode until you've completed career mode then... just don't...

Yup, I am a bigtime roleplayer, and with KSP, I tend to be much more complex on my science missions then I need to be. As result, am pretty slow to unlock science. However, I do also like to challenge or experiment in sandbox from time to time just to experiment with mechanics idea as apposed to full on missions.

Once things such as currency come into play, it will almost be a mandatory thing to fiddle in sandbox and tutorials to learn the mechanics.

No. Just, no. No offense, but really. Squad wants the game to be sandbox. Not a modern game that requires you to do something
I have to agree wit the vending machine on this one. Some people just don't want to have to finnagle with all that science and contract stuff, and just wanna get right into rocket launching. If you don't want to play sandbox mode until you've completed career mode then... just don't...

I feel the same way. This was just a thought that popped into my head and I was curious to see what people would think about it.

Squad official plans are not an argument for or against any feature. Plans may change. They didn't plan multiplayer too. Now they do.

The fact that some people don't like career at all is a valid argument.

I'd add to it, in my opinion career in its current state is way harder as a starting point for new players than sandbox.

And - at least in present state - finished career behaves the same way as sandbox, so there's little point in unlocking that as an extra feature.

We'd have to wait till the game is more finished to give this idea another try.

I don't think this is a good idea at all. What about experienced players reinstalling the game and having to go through whatever career mode is in order to unlock sandbox? What if career mode has no "finish" state? Setting arbitrary goals like reaching certain milestone in order to unlock sandbox mode seems so very unlike the game we have now, especially considering you can reach most anywhere with tier 0 parts and I highly doubt that career mode will be so difficult as to prevent that since it will have to be balanced against new players getting started with the game, and why would an experienced player do "difficult" career mode in order to unlock the sandbox they know and love. It's like "do your cursory Duna mission on reinstall".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.