Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

For me that's true.

I'm so annoyed by this.. I should have finished my project ages ago but the heat bug has forced me to rebuild it twice already.. So far i have managed to eliminate all but two heating bugs. One thankfully only shows up if you time-warp in atmosphere when moving. The other is so stupid, when you release the heatshield a completely separate stack separator instantly overheats.. I think I can fix that last one though.

I have heard nothing from Squad on this bug and as it's having a huge impact on what people can and cannot build it should be fixed as soon as humanly possible. This is a released game remember folks!!!

A full release.

Alright, I'll try my best :)

Disclaimer: I am terrible at stock bearings.. or stock in general.

Feel free to use the one I made in that craft file, unchanged if you need/want to. Else, I'd be happy to stab at it on your behalf if you so desire, or help you along the way. Stock bearings aren't as scary as they seem, just deconstruct a few, or test them to destruction and zoom in on the moving parts.

Hi all,

I am seeing a lot of smaller builds recently, with very few, if any larger builds or interplanetary missions being built. Are people put off by the heating bugs?

Space? I don't seem to go there lately. But the heat bug has caused me agro in other instances. So yes, I'd like to see this somewhat addressed. And now waiting for 1.1 before I embark on anything large scale.

Not yet, will add that when I build an actual tank

Now if I can just learn how to aim this thing, those tanks and the VAB'll be dead in no time...lY0tGD4.png

Feel free to use the one I made in that craft file, unchanged if you need/want to. Else, I'd be happy to stab at it on your behalf if you so desire, or help you along the way. Stock bearings aren't as scary as they seem, just deconstruct a few, or test them to destruction and zoom in on the moving parts.

Space? I don't seem to go there lately. But the heat bug has caused me agro in other instances. So yes, I'd like to see this somewhat addressed. And now waiting for 1.1 before I embark on anything large scale.

Now if I can just learn how to aim this thing, those tanks and the VAB'll be dead in no time...http://i.imgur.com/lY0tGD4.png

Not the tanks!!! D: Is that a sentry turret that rotates 360 both vertically and horizontally? That's cool and looks intimidating. You could probably add that to an aircraft carrier replica and that would look great too. Like an AA gun.

I'm so annoyed by this.. I should have finished my project ages ago but the heat bug has forced me to rebuild it twice already.. So far i have managed to eliminate all but two heating bugs. One thankfully only shows up if you time-warp in atmosphere when moving. The other is so stupid, when you release the heatshield a completely separate stack separator instantly overheats.. I think I can fix that last one though.

I have heard nothing from Squad on this bug and as it's having a huge impact on what people can and cannot build it should be fixed as soon as humanly possible. This is a released game remember folks!!!

A full release.

I only encountered the bug once in the engine pylon of a B757-200 replica I was making.. It wasn't too much, but I had to rebuild the entire pylon.

Ah well, It's the Magic School Bus!

4iQnD19.png

zbeAYum.jpg

You don't need any of the movement generating parts, so in theory something that just uses cube struts will do the job. I'd probably do it something like this: see below.

And to add: Did some testing. Refined it. You can't use an elevon at the front, it makes life awkward. But here's a craft file that shows this as proof-of-concept technology demonstrator. It doesn't really like high g-forces, but would be more than suitable for a WWI-era biplane.

http://imgur.com/a/WjS4O

http://i.imgur.com/4gPhspd.jpg

Nope, does not work for me. Do you have Stock Bug Fix Modules installed? The editor is so pissing me off at the moment, stuff that's radial symmetry goes to mirror and theres no way to get it to go back, gah

- - - Updated - - -

It looked like the oscar-b was hard up against the first cubic strut so I offset to give a bit of clearance, no joy.

Not the tanks!!! D: Is that a sentry turret that rotates 360 both vertically and horizontally? That's cool and looks intimidating. You could probably add that to an aircraft carrier replica and that would look great too. Like an AA gun.

I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with it yet... But AA-gun was in the mind when I started cobbling it. I'll add more crap to it and then see what the part count is. I think it's not even 150 yet. Rotation: Horizontally, yes. Vertically, it would probably have some clearance issues because of crap that's attached to it, but aside from needing to raise the bar (literally!) it will do it. And all day long. Until the batteries run out. It will wobble a lot if you rotate while pitching... for best results you need to be "nose level". The bearing's reasonably robust, but there's only so much abuse they'll take before they jump out.

Nope, does not work for me. Do you have Stock Bug Fix Modules installed? The editor is so pissing me off at the moment, stuff that's radial symmetry goes to mirror and theres no way to get it to go back, gah

- - - Updated - - -

It looked like the oscar-b was hard up against the first cubic strut so I offset to give a bit of clearance, no joy.

Without video or pics it's tough to say what it is. The Oscar-B should be tight, it's attached. The decouple happens right by the Mk 1 cockpit. Cockpit -> Octo strut -> decoupler -> prop shaft. The octo strut then has the rest of the cube struts on it to hold the shaft in place. The rest of it's more of a truss to hold it in place. I've uploaded it again, same link. Perhaps I'd inadvertently broken something in the version I uploaded. I know I tinkered after I took pics.

So tested it, saved it, tested it, uploaded it. It worked... If you stage at the same time as you start the engines it [the prop assembly] sinks back into the cockpit a bit. This makes it stick, some tugging on the flight controls releases it. Try rolling the craft. This is not very effective. I also discovered, if you add struts it won't spin. Don't add struts!

Better method. Fire up engine, get rolling, rotate at say 30m/s, stage prop. It may just sit there doing nothing, if so roll the craft. Prop will then start to rotate slowly. Needs to be tinkered with in terms of blade angle.

If that doesn't do the trick. PM me. And we'll figure it out from there.

So, after realising that I had used TweakScale, purrely out of habit, I present to you the Now 100% Stock Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet! Pictures, show them how much I've failed...errrr, what I've achieved!

WUFQEwX.jpg

The New, and actually worse, Angel Interceptor. Anyhow, the thing is I can now claim a completely 100% stock-ness. Yay!

xS5zKfs.jpg

It flies! My God, it flies. Well, it doesn't crash into the ground with some help, lots of help actually, but details...details...

Anyway, if anyone wants to try to fly it, or even better, improve it, here's the KerbalX page. Enjoy :D

Hi all,

I am seeing a lot of smaller builds recently, with very few, if any larger builds or interplanetary missions being built. Are people put off by the heating bugs?

Yes, I have that constel build on the back burner, since it's broken my orion, and I didn't have enough delta-v in my last test.

I really want to see where this goes!

- - - Updated - - -

Bringing my carrier back up to date for... reasons. Still had the old wing parts on I hadn't used it in so long.

New version is almost finished. Needs more struts, fuel lines aren't in place, only the top plating is done, and the antennae is on backwards.

It can carry 4 fighters along with droptanks and weapons of its own. Fully loaded packs 7k of dV.

http://i.imgur.com/05hWjcz.png

Yes!

I love freighters!

I was gonna say a periscope ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with it yet... But AA-gun was in the mind when I started cobbling it. I'll add more crap to it and then see what the part count is. I think it's not even 150 yet. Rotation: Horizontally, yes. Vertically, it would probably have some clearance issues because of crap that's attached to it, but aside from needing to raise the bar (literally!) it will do it. And all day long. Until the batteries run out. It will wobble a lot if you rotate while pitching... for best results you need to be "nose level". The bearing's reasonably robust, but there's only so much abuse they'll take before they jump out.

Without video or pics it's tough to say what it is. The Oscar-B should be tight, it's attached. The decouple happens right by the Mk 1 cockpit. Cockpit -> Octo strut -> decoupler -> prop shaft. The octo strut then has the rest of the cube struts on it to hold the shaft in place. The rest of it's more of a truss to hold it in place. I've uploaded it again, same link. Perhaps I'd inadvertently broken something in the version I uploaded. I know I tinkered after I took pics.

So tested it, saved it, tested it, uploaded it. It worked... If you stage at the same time as you start the engines it [the prop assembly] sinks back into the cockpit a bit. This makes it stick, some tugging on the flight controls releases it. Try rolling the craft. This is not very effective. I also discovered, if you add struts it won't spin. Don't add struts!

Better method. Fire up engine, get rolling, rotate at say 30m/s, stage prop. It may just sit there doing nothing, if so roll the craft. Prop will then start to rotate slowly. Needs to be tinkered with in terms of blade angle.

If that doesn't do the trick. PM me. And we'll figure it out from there.

The bearing was not stuck, when I rolled it stayed still or turned a little, just would not turn on it's own.

I was working on trying to make an ultra-high-speed interceptor, but it went... well... TOO fast.

VEmj1eP.png

Breaks mach 1 right off the runway.

JoymD8T.png

Starts breaking mach-walls quicker and quicker, until:

Co3GBDx.png

Aerodynamic stress from trying to turn a small bit ripped apart the fuselage. Back to the drawing board...

I was working on trying to make an ultra-high-speed interceptor, but it went... well... TOO fast.

http://i.imgur.com/VEmj1eP.png

Breaks mach 1 right off the runway.

http://i.imgur.com/JoymD8T.png

Starts breaking mach-walls quicker and quicker, until:

http://i.imgur.com/Co3GBDx.png

Aerodynamic stress from trying to turn a small bit ripped apart the fuselage. Back to the drawing board...

You probably don't even need wings on that, just some canards.

Project no. 4: Buses!

I've started a line of buses to transport buses, based on different configurations.

gBfWQ8U.jpg

So far, there is the coach and city bus.

In the coach, I had to place all the seats without symmetry because it's width was odd. Painstakingly..

vlCJK6R.png

Thanks to Flipnascar for help with the bearing, decided to go a different direction. I wanted a bearing for the freewheeling props that moved faster and was more durable (sometimes you do make extreme manoeuvres even in a bomber). I have half, sorry about the Youtube vid for 15.5 seconds.

It weighs about a ton with 43 parts, but it can take high g manoeuvres but is even slower than Flipnascars.

Thanks to Flipnascar for help with the bearing, decided to go a different direction. I wanted a bearing for the freewheeling props that moved faster and was more durable (sometimes you do make extreme manoeuvres even in a bomber). I have half, sorry about the Youtube vid for 15.5 seconds.

It weighs about a ton with 43 parts, but it can take high g manoeuvres but is even slower than Flipnascars.

Damn, I was just building a DC-3.. it's propellers don't freewheel, unfortunately.

And it's part count is 190+....

9lghbZI.jpg