Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

@Rune: Speaking about O'Neill habitats - look that I have in my VAB:

http://i.imgur.com/o5ME93S.png?1

Then you have rings, it is easy to make cylinder :) I wish KSP will have larger flat or even curved structural elements in future...

Wow! The lag... That has to be welded, right? Anyhow, looking good if a bit less solid than the original... are you planning to panel in the gaps? The only thing is, until it has two parallel cylinders, I won't be really happy. That's the most ingenious thing of the whole thing (free attitude control!), and the one most often forgotten (did you know long cylinders are unstable when rotating around the long axis?).

Rune. I predict my finished thing with both cylinders and the mirrors will be around 1700 parts, with lots of docking ports everywhere. I'm scared.

You could get KMP and get your friends to do it, you know! :wink:

Now my experience with KMP is that two ships in atmosphere can't see each other.

Also, what is the mod that those swords come in?

it looks really cool. :)

Thanks, I built it. Glows, is transparent, and can be toggled on and off.

An individual sword download can be found at the gundam's thread

Circular Station use to look great, but thoses rings are really nice, especially the one in video :)

I juste finished to prepare my own in VAB and subassemblied it, now I need to find some courage and volonty to carry each piece in orbit in "realistic" way... Argh xD

Polished the new fairings:

http://i.imgur.com/pb6QKjk.png

They're very lightweight but still has 90 parts.

Edit: lowered the part count of my rocket a bit and lengthened the fairings:

http://i.imgur.com/GUjFX1D.png

These fairings are larger than the ones used by Rune's 100t LV.

And they use less parts for sure, and the colours even match the scheme of the rest of the tanks. Yup, as soon as 0.25 hits, this is going to be the way to do large fairings, if the aerodynamic issues are as manageable as it seems (they count as placed "sideways" to the velocity vector so they provide no lift, right?).

Rune. They will look wrong for small diameters, though.

Polished the new fairings:

They're very lightweight but still has 90 parts.

Edit: lowered the part count of my rocket a bit and lengthened the fairings:

These fairings are larger than the ones used by Rune's 100t LV.

The lower part count and weight seem like good reasons to use the upcoming SP+ wings but for inter-stage they look far too boxy for my taste.

Looking at the pic of Runes 100t lifter it really looks longer than the SP+ one you show Giggleplex. Not important but it just looks that way to me.

Do you have a video of them releasing?

The lower part count and weight seem like good reasons to use the upcoming SP+ wings but for inter-stage they look far too boxy for my taste.

Looking at the pic of Runes 100t lifter it really looks longer than the SP+ one you show Giggleplex. Not important but it just looks that way to me.

Do you have a video of them releasing?

Whoops I was comparing it with the 75t one. :blush: Adding another set of panels should did it though but then it wouldn't fit in the VAB (yeah, it's that tall).

And they use less parts for sure, and the colours even match the scheme of the rest of the tanks. Yup, as soon as 0.25 hits, this is going to be the way to do large fairings, if the aerodynamic issues are as manageable as it seems (they count as placed "sideways" to the velocity vector so they provide no lift, right?).

Rune. They will look wrong for small diameters, though.

There are quarter-sized panels.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Whoops I was comparing it with the 75t one. :blush: Adding another set of panels should did it though but then it wouldn't fit in the VAB (yeah, it's that tall).

I thought so. But as I said, its not important.

I'm excited to try some new fairings when the patch hits.

That's one of the reasons I stopped at 100mT. It starts filling the VAB to the point building is challenging, and I seriously can't think of payloads to put on top of it, other than silly huge things that would be better served with custom-built monstrosities that ignore aerodynamics completely.

There are quarter-sized panels.

Didn't know that, haven't messed around with SP+ much. Then again, I wouldn't assume everything in there will be put into the stock game in a one-one basis.

Rune. The aerodynamics tab is going to be fuller? Finally!