Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

@ Technical Ben: Damn those service bay are really cute, but I can't find a use for it yet.

@ Roflcopter: Maybe your front wings are causing some backward lift aka drag (looks cool tho). Which would eventually slow you down. Check the debug menu to toggle aero force visualisation, its the tab next to cheats with ALT+F12

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what kept me busy lately lol, testing my new copter hub (yes theres a spring made of SAS)

Just to check if there's been changes to collisions (I think they did tweak it slightly)

5chYuW3.jpg

Judpz3k.jpg

sPdjfnr.jpg

0XMLj26.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

Thanks RevanCorana, It is to hide the solar panels and batteries so far. But for this craft makes no real change in physics or part count. For later craft, interplanetary etc, it will help keep par counts down until deployed. So mainly for show and looks for now. Working on the mid stange with it's own recovery now. :)

Love the copter. Do like me some autorotation.

that update ...

i don't have updated my KER and other mods but just some took my rockets for testflights:

Saturn IC - broken

Atlas - Mecury - broken

Delta IV medium - broken

Delta IV heavy - broken

SLS Block I - broken

all Orion missions - broken

Soyuz - broken

Zenit 2 & 3 - broken

Energia - broken

Proton - working

that was very unsuspected :huh:

first flight of each craft was without changing things from 0.9, then changed fairings mostly to the new (ugly) ones.

the rockets tend to flip over after reaching a speed of over 300 or 400 m/s, even when just going straight into teh sky without touching the D-key for going east .... some don't even lift off

the only working one is my Proton, my little beloved baby ... at least i have a 20 ton lifter. i need to figure out some of the strange behaviors. it seems that the new aeromodel realy hates cliped parts, like on my ICPS or interstages or engineclusters. using wingsurfaces for interstages or parts of fairings is a deadly idea now

oh and ... going slow at first and gently accelerting is now how to get a rocket into space .... even the stock rockets fro msquad are shaking and wobbling and tumbling like mad :huh:

Edited by Darth Lazarus

The Dragon v2 and Falcon 9 are updated, minus a few small tweaks!

Changelog:

-Engine structure changed from 3-by-3 square to octaweb, true to original design.

-First stage lengthened, same fuel tank used throughout for looks and fuel for landing.

-Second stage shrunk, first stage does more work.

-Legs sunk in more

-Airbrakes added, as gridfins

-Inset winglets on Dragon trunk changed to white small hardpoint, clipped winglet was causing instability

Jn9pRHf.png

Re-release tomorrow, on Zucal's Stock Storehouse. Along with Falcon Heavy and Soyuz.

My reusable rocket still works in 1.0! Now with Fairings and Airbrakes!

U2hTUPp.jpg

Gotta love that smoke effect!

uL0R2ig.png

Launch profile has not changed: Straight up to 10km and turn right 8 degrees.

jrtVKQg.jpg

2nd stage! Yay confetti!

kql5ZRg.png

A solar array and an Ore scanner probe is the payload of the day!

0wjR90D.png

Airbrakes... AIRBRAKES!

16hwgEB.jpg

Steady.. Steady... Mechjeb is almost no help anymore because rotating the rocket changes it's course due to lifting body effect, therefore wildly changing the landing spot. I cant come in on course enough to use the autoland, so it's pretty much just a panic.

f7vbrBN.png

I should also upgrade my platform. It has seen enough landings in .90 and has already sustained pretty bad damage, from broken RTGs to missing pontoons (airintakes).

fHO1zQv.png

Edited by RocketPilot573

i'm trying to resurrect torque engines with 1.0 - it operates really smoothly (the redesigned NCS adapter is much rounder than before :P), but it seems a bit underperforming for now (even with the new atmo, the control surfaces seems way less effective than the old ones) :) (and the buggy SPH doesn't help with creating a plane to house it)

At least, the engines takes barely more space than 1.25m :P

YbY4XL5l.png

Edited by sgt_flyer