Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

i hate squad ... i was just going to save the new launchcomplex for my Soyuz-1 and then: GAMECRASH FOR UPDATE .... RAWR! >_<

on the other hand .... have to test every of myrockets for stability now ... seems i can reduce partcount by removing soem struts now YAY !

The game is running much faster for me. Now, I can fly 200 part ships at 60 fps!

These SLS parts are powerful!

90mT to orbit with a core stage and boosters.

http://i.imgur.com/Bhio8gx.png

(The payload the everything above the decoupler.)

Yeah, you can say that again... the first thing I did before going to bed waaay too late was sizing up the large upper stage engine, you know, on the assumption the engine had something to do with the real-life J-2X and EDS, and it's there to make big upper stages. Well, the resulting "EDS replica" has a T/W of about one and 3,2 km/s... with a payload of about 75 mT, or in other words, four orange tanks!!! The whole thing is like 250mT, and the next thing was building the booster that will put that in almost-orbit. The scary thing is the lifter flew at first try, with a grand total of 6 struts, and smooth as slik with a part count of just two digits.

Pics this afternoon when I have the time to explore the new update, yesterday was a quick test with the shiny new toys.

Rune. Now the question is how to come up with the need for such large in-space stages. I'll come up with some suitably large nails for my new hammer, I'm sure.

Edited by Rune

WIP delta-IV Heavy with the new parts.

upper stage + boosters

HClOtv8l.png

the upper stage

(note, the control probe is not part of the stage - it was just there to test the rocket :P)

MDflGKGl.png

the KR-2L engines are 'augmented' with mainsails hidden inside them - the central core mainsail is only activated when the lateral boosters are staged, to replicate the Delta-IV Heavy central core throttled down engine.

the new stock joint reinforcement is really powerful - the KR-2L + mainsail are attached on both ends of a... cubic strut... radially attached to the bottom of the tanks. i only added 4 struts per engine to attach them to the tanks.

currently, it's 271 parts.

Edited by sgt_flyer

Well, the lifter works. Tentative name is Big Bertha, and the test flight got 195mT to a 70x70km orbit. But considering only 75mT of that was "payload" (mass simulator a bit spiffed up to test the connection), it would be more correct to say the test flight showed this can put 75mT on most places of the Kerbol system (2.2km/s left in the EDS). I have to figure out maximum payload, there's some T/W to spare yet without adding engines, and you can see the gritty detail on the KER window (KER works fine, BTW, as long as you don't have liquid fuel boosters attached).

Oh, and it uses 91 parts, three stages, and a grand total of 4 (four) struts to keep together :0.0:. Most of the part count is the RCS and control stuff on the EDS (a hugely capable reusable transfer stage, actually), and the pentadock arrangement (no struts to the payload!), to make the big not-so-dumb stage a bit prettier (most of the functional stuff is hidden inside the big adapter, which is at least visually hollow).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Rune. Welcome indeed, 0.23.5!

Edited by Rune

I shortened the core stage of my SLS to make the proportions with the boosters right.

1SpEJYS.png

I also made a new fairing out of wing parts. They're not as good as I would like them to be, but at least it's the right colour and has a lower part.

mJYy9XQ.png
Edited by Giggleplex777

Nice Ariane 5!

Seconded! It would be nice to see a SRB bundle instead of liquid booster, but it is indeed very nice, especially the upper stage+Slyda combo. thumbs up for attention to detail!

In other news, rebuilding the S-I and S-II for Phoebus (and fixing margins) took much less time than I thought. And now it's 50 parts lighter! (200 parts total)

bZE68cs.png

Rune. I also fixed everything that was wrong with the rest of the old version, hopefully your missions won't be as "eventful" as mine. :rolleyes:

Seconded! It would be nice to see a SRB bundle instead of liquid booster, but it is indeed very nice, especially the upper stage+Slyda combo. thumbs up for attention to detail!

the boosters are SRB's :) i have simply hidden them inside the emptied rockomax fuel tanks :) (because there are 6 of the new SRBs per booster here :P - and with only 6, i don't know if the 'rounding' effect will be enough :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Lost all my craft files...so starting from scratch.

DtccABa.png

14k deltaV

Alcubierre drive

Antimatter reactor

Thermal turbojet

Landing legs & wheels

Kethane miner

Gonna attempt an Eve landing and takeoff this weekend....

Funny enough starting from scratch might have been good, this is my best SSTO yet. Rock stable and quite agile. Ridiculously easy to fly too. Take off at 25m/s, pitch up to 90 degrees, once apoapsis hits 75-80km switch off engine before toggling the Alcubierre drive once in space to establish an orbit. Intake air will take you to space, so no Kethane is used.

Edited by John Crichton

I finally bit the bullet and installed ARM. So the first thing to do is, naturally, designing a new lifter family.

screenshot0_zps9bae1284.png

This is the smallest one. Things learned: a) the big adapter is beautifully suited for concealing probe cores, batteries etc., and B) LV-T30 clusters are still useful :P

the boosters are SRB's :) i have simply hidden them inside the emptied rockomax fuel tanks :) (because there are 6 of the new SRBs per booster here :P - and with only 6, i don't know if the 'rounding' effect will be enough :P)

Then by all means, I withdraw any objections I had! You really have to look at pics twice before opening your mouth! ^^'

Anyhow, Phoebus is done and works great, as soon as my crappy connection lets me upload all pics to the album I'll finish the post. You all might be interested to know that during the build I discovered that the new 3.75m decoupler is quite buggy. It took me 12 struts to stabilize it somewhat (the rest of the rocket has a grand total of two, so I'm, pretty sure that is not the way it's supposed to be), and jumped the part count fro 200 to 220 due to the bugginess when I tried using it as the base of the interstage. In the future, I might forgo it entirely unless it is for the 3.75m engine. I placed it upside down and with another 2.5m decoupler on top, then structural panels making the fairing, and the aforementioned bunch of struts, and still I get some residual flex that makes the first stage a bit of a bumpy ride. And the panels do weird things when it flexes, on failed builds I saw some of them moving weirdly unconnected to the part they hanged from... it's a weird bug to explain unless you try it yourself, but the connections it makes are definitely not like the rest of the 3.75m parts.

I also found out that decoupler will blow any nearby engines not attached to its node, so even though it looks very hollow and nice to put stuff inside of, steer clear of it, when it decouples, anything clipping it from the outside will be ejected or blow up, unlike the rest of the decoupler which are quite forgiving. A shame, because it looks awesome :(

Rune. Damn you internet connection, stop resetting and let me upload something over 200kb!