Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I would, but the small landing gear are too short and the medium would add 0.5 tonnes of dead weight. That's one of the many issues with the design, but I still think the concept has potential, if only for a light crew transport vtol.

Try using cubic struts to jack them lower and see if it works

RocketPilot, how many parts is that monster?

About 550, runs well at quarter speed. :wink:

Anyhow I finally installed the cargo ramp/door. It works well.

iAdhJyW.png

Y5IhTE3.jpg

It uses a few monoprop engines to close. Can also operate in mid air in case anyone wants to paradrop stuff. BTW I designed the cargo bay to fit my fighter jets inside...

Edited by RocketPilot573

Not much, but refitting a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft replica, for performance inprovements.

I still can't seem to make it turn 360 degrees without the SCA blowing itself apart, though. Probably because of structure being exposed to too much G-Force.

r1dNCLi.png

2 "WIP" craft (but really dead end designs that aren't practical):

B-3 Soul (inspired by & spiritual successor to the B-2 Spirit). Found earlier versions made by others but thought I'd update their designs for V. 1.04. Don't point any lower that 25 degrees after take-off or will melt. Don't move in any way either while in atmosphere or will flip.B27B0520D80A66F417779CF6FDDA0CA8621367A0

RCS only rocket from Kerbin to orbit. Stages empty out so fast that it feels like driving a semi-trailer truck where you have to shift through 12 gears in rapid succession. Was accomplished by others in earlier versions but then RCS was nerfed so thought I'd give it a try for V. 1.04.5411169A7ACF1554E9D4459180378C1B5FFB768583E39945BA1E130DCE6D0C66A0AB3C1EA56B742FFBC9678A73142F70939079958F0B99D62D4C09E6

I'm having issues with flickering parts that start overheating for no reason at rest.

Anyway I'm done with the shape 90%.

Whirlwind VTOL Fighter

gL2vqC1.jpg

Whirlwind SSTO Lander

4hKNvdV.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

These biplanes are hard to build when the only engines you have to choose from are either too big to fit on the plane or won't give you the kind of power/efficiency you need to get airborne. Squad really needs to add a 0.625 meter jet engine. Or, you know, propeller engines. Just saying...

9gXj2ZN.jpg

These biplanes are hard to build when the only engines you have to choose from are either too big to fit on the plane or won't give you the kind of power/efficiency you need to get airborne. Squad really needs to add a 0.625 meter jet engine. Or, you know, propeller engines. Just saying...

http://i.imgur.com/9gXj2ZN.jpg

But since when do propeller engines have anything to do with spaceflight?

Well, I would sooner see a smaller jet engine in the game than propellers. With a choice of two engines (three if you count the rapier, but that's irrelevant in my case) for aircraft as opposed to a choice of at least a dozen different engines of all forms and fashions for rockets, it makes it really hard to build small planes.

In addition to what other people have been saying about props, KSP really isn't ONLY about spaceflight; rather, it's about spaceflight, exploration, et cetera. All props would do is aid in said exploration.

Edited by Guerra

Try giving it the arm, and giving the mast some more detail, maybe add the antennas, shrink the probe body for MER, though LADEE looks good to me.

Thanks for the feedback, MER is already shrunk considerably (it fits in a 1.5m aero shell) but I'll shrink the body more and add more detail while keeping the solar panels.

Move over Halo Pelican! There's a new anti-squidface response dropship: the Frog Jump Ship.

fc,550x550,navy.jpg

9394E7CEE520B352E17DB8E90D0AC71B915C86583C26661AFAB752ED6AA5F48B2B1E63E6D63263D0Comes complete with a stock cargo ramp (air brake pistons get in the way so only Kerbals can pass through).B84A264F846BF4A00C4567417C8804B6EFF9BB26

Alright, so it can't make it to space (I'll have to concede to the Pelican in that regard) but it's nothing a few boosters can't fix.

2A9580C5D5891A3CF85F44E0C623EC344E9C076CA49B5ECB9B088EAF66DF5A08EF891F0E012A8308F26F70819ADD17CD7B747FFF4682AB5BC560C19C

Cockpit faces upwards so must look down at feet to look forward. For this reason control is set to a probe in the cargo bay to correct the nav ball.BA8568F644C049B0CF9B0D7ABE226B99A1276196

I still don't have rover tech in science sandbox so I'm waiting until then to replace the probe and it will double up as the docking port for refuelling (and correct the nav ball orientation issue as well) and will come up through the roof somehow because of those pesky air brakes pistons block the way out through the rear ramp.

Edited by evader
capitalization

Since KSP doesn't seem to have a suitable engine for my Bristol Boxkite, I decided to do flight tests with a tow glider variant. :cool:

QJgR2i5.jpg

This didn't work. I need a car or truck that can reach high enough speeds to pull this thing off the ground. Right now, I'm using AMRSD's Willys jeep, but it can only manage 18 m/s with the Boxkite attached. I need some help here. :P