Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I think my Hab module is pretty neat, I can't believe it docked first time. you can EVA and wander around inside. The lights work and everything.

Check out the other neat stuff being made for 'The Dunian' and help out if you want, thread here

Love the fairing as biodome thing, looks great and just one part. Do you think it would be possible to make a velodrome like that?

Love the fairing as biodome thing, looks great and just one part. Do you think it would be possible to make a velodrome like that?

Thats about the maximum width i could make it, I can run around inside, but not sure if driving would work, only one way to find out! Rocket sled testing in velodrome I assume?

Actually A rocket won't work, wheels might though.

I think my Hab module is pretty neat, I can't believe it docked first time. you can EVA and wander around inside. The lights work and everything.

Check out the other neat stuff being made for 'The Dunian' and help out if you want, thread here

http://i.imgur.com/qSbmHEm.png

http://i.imgur.com/jlBiyhC.png

Holy boop that is a nice idea. Totally stealing it at some point!

Rune. Now, getting it places... a challenge!

http://i.imgur.com/qSbmHEm.png

http://i.imgur.com/jlBiyhC.png

I have used fairings as a hab idea already and it look great from the outside but moving around inside is so annoying you may as well not bother. That and the fact that launching it requires a ridiculous looking rocket, it's not in any way a challenge at all it just requires a very unrealistic looking launcher..

The way to keep it all reasonable is to make the hab smaller and incorporate storage into the base. Have it as the main lander.

I really like your rover man, I was inspired enough to make my own Dunan rover. How did you make it stable? Did you add some weight to lower the COM?

Edited by Majorjim

Very early work on a big Elcano challenge type rover.

pMqSl0Q.jpg

The girders should act as suspension. The flat deck is for storing support vehicles and as a vtol landing pad, with the body and habitation underneath. Next challenge is to build that body and make it look less like a space-grade cockroach.

Very early work on a big Elcano challenge type rover.

http://i.imgur.com/pMqSl0Q.jpg

The girders should act as suspension. The flat deck is for storing support vehicles and as a vtol landing pad, with the body and habitation underneath. Next challenge is to build that body and make it look less like a space-grade cockroach.

You're thinking too large. The suspension can be made much more compact and versatile.

- - - Updated - - -

A recreation of a Donnie Darko scene by the looks of it.

Will we ever know?

You're thinking too large. The suspension can be made much more compact and versatile.

The reason for all the largeness is so I can cart a quadbike and a car around on the top, and land a VTOL when I figure out how to land VTOls.

I also figured to have the chassis seperate from the bodywork would reduces stresses on the frame, and I couldn't think of another way to connect the wheels to the girder chassis. I particularly don't want rover wheels attached to wing sections, because experience with past monstrosities seems to suggest that is a really, really explodily bad idea with heavy rovers.

It would be nice to have a suspension system/chassis that intrudes less on the body of the rover (not yet built), but part count would become an issue and I found this one is actually less parts that the Spider based engine on my less stupid rovers.

In the development of my elcano rover, some... issues... have presented themselves. For one, it's an aeroplane:

5jptzMF.jpg

So, back to the SPH, time to make a complete, less useless, redesign. I want space to carry support rovers so I don't get bored on the mission, but I also want a design that doesn't explode. It's a difficult balance.

Maybe if I can get it work...

LOL that's why I asked for a video. I was being cheeky. Looking at it i can see it wont work in its current form. Keep at it though.

- - - Updated - - -

In the development of my elcano rover, some... issues... have presented themselves. For one, it's an aeroplane:

http://i.imgur.com/5jptzMF.jpg

So, back to the SPH, time to make a complete, less useless, redesign. I want space to carry support rovers so I don't get bored on the mission, but I also want a design that doesn't explode. It's a difficult balance.

Wait... what? It flies? At what speed? I thought this kind of thing was killed off with the aero update.

LOL that's why I asked for a video. I was being cheeky. Looking at it i can see it wont work in its current form. Keep at it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... what? It flies? At what speed? I thought this kind of thing was killed off with the aero update.

23.7m/s takeoff, but needs to go over a bump to get enough of an angle of attack. It does glide for quite a while though.