Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I dig it a lot dude. Is it VTOL or are the vertical engines to assist takeoff?

Not in kerbin (unless it's mostly empty), but that is the idea on airless worlds. I needed a way to be able to offload base modules on the ground, so I said, why not incorporate a rocket VTOL system to land them on Duna? She won't be able to handle more than 10mT or so, but that is enough.

Rune. So far, it handles like a champ in atmo, but it is a bit draggy. I wonder it I can hide the VTOL engines better.

Almost finished updating for 1.0.4. The latest update caused me to have to rebuild from scratch which has taken quite a while. I want to fit cargo bays on it but so far haven't found a good place to fit them. I've also added radiators to help cool the nukes.

The new dV is 7000m/s so I've taken her to low Tylo orbit to test. Hope I have enough for return...

L2kxpO7.png

Im sensing a bit of the old Eagle in this. Not complaining, amazing craft. I have no doubts this one will fail, I predict good things to come!

Yup, she has something of the same "big sea creature" look to it, doesn't it? Quite unsurprising, considering that the basic function and hull is the same.

Rune. The Eagle was much more unrealistic, however.

^ @rune yeah it did, Unity,Zarya and Zwezda are sorted.. maybe the solar stuff too (except for these clipping radiators) but the rest is place holders. It's currently in a 1000x1000 orbit..

- - - Updated - - -

and yeah.. stock :) so is this asteroid thing stock or not? i try to be stock, but the official mods confuse me :-/

- - - Updated - - -

Good start dude but you have a long way to go yet! Namely, 75 odd km. :wink: The soyuz looks really unique as well. Great work man.

it's supposed to be a progress.. #spacenerd :D

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty awesome ISS! Just a few comments to try and make it even cooler:

I think six of the the medium radiators, three on each mounting, would look more like the real thing. In the ISS, they are mounted on a common base, but they have three sections that rotate independently, IIRC. I just saw a pic, forget what I was saying. Also Still, the truss would look much more like the real thing if you did something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/R6nkWna.png

It's a bit more part-intensive, but they, not even that much ~100 parts for a eight-segment truss (four of these), and I wasn't being particularly efficient when I did that, just answering someone that asked for ways to do something like this. You can make a long segment with just four long girders and four long wings...

Rune. I think.

I like.. but paaarts :(

Not in kerbin (unless it's mostly empty), but that is the idea on airless worlds. I needed a way to be able to offload base modules on the ground, so I said, why not incorporate a rocket VTOL system to land them on Duna? She won't be able to handle more than 10mT or so, but that is enough.

Rune. So far, it handles like a champ in atmo, but it is a bit draggy. I wonder it I can hide the VTOL engines better.

Wingtip cargo bays?

Those are beautiful! Did you have any concept to start from? :D

I love the design aesthetics of Star Wars ships - mostly the Millennium Falcon and it's precursors, as well as video games like StarCraft, Star Citizen, and Elite Dangerous (and I cant forget Star Trek and BSG as well). But generally I just like to try different things. This page has a lot of unique ideas for craft. Most of what I make I don't use because it just doesn't look cool enough... :cool:

S4nQcK3.png

c4siOu4.png

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Wingtip cargo bays?

I thought about it, but that would mean ruining one of the best parts of the design IMO, the way the wing joins the engine pylons. In fact, I suspect a slightly bigger design with six RAPIERs and spikes instead of Thuds for VTOLing would solve all my problems... but on this one I am going with the hull I have now, because frankly I have fallen in love with it, and it can work with a ~10mT payload. As long as it can break Mach...

TEVVXw1.png

Also it handles a bit too much like a jet fighter, so I slightly reworked the tail to give it a bit more stability, and I think I'll fiddle with CoL a bit more, currently it is a bit backwards for stability and it creates some extra drag from the control surfaces. The biggest problem right now is that even with TWR 0.6, it struggles a lot because of the drag from the VTOL engines. But it does go transonic. And it does have some other interesting tricks up its sleeve... it can't dock to a base Module like the rocket crane, so I had to come up with a way to refuel it on the ground in a stock game, and a way that it could drop the solution itself:

29sGA3A.png

Rune. Luckily none of my Base modules go over 8mT when empty, I checked.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I can feel the love - you guys are awesome! :D

JR

Not as much as all those sci-fi-looking ships you feed us. I hope all of them have a download at some point! :)

Edited by Rune

Not as much as all those sci-fi-looking ships you feed us. I hope all of them have a download at some point! :)

The picture in my signature links you to my craft folder on DropBox. I need to set up a page to organize it all.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

http://i.imgur.com/ztvIpgw.jpg

It flies!

Here's my take on the B-17, the front is great, the back can use some work; If anyone wants to help, I can provide the craft file.

Looking great, the only problem is the engines, and it isn't even your fault. Those new turbojet effects make it look like all it's engines are on fire and about to explode. Maybe Squad ought to do something about that. Good job on the plane though, you've done it justice. :)

I've finally restarted my internal combustion engine project!

I've found a way to read crankshaft position, without programming a .dll but by using Squad's own modules. Together with some mods and modded mods, I've created a virtual electronic circuit. Now it's a case of rebuilding my old engines with fewer parts and a lot of testing and tweaking. Soon we'll have the first operational, independent engines, able to power cars and boats! The end goal is an airplane but ... this will take a long time :-)

Here's an old example from almost a year ago:

Why is it running rough and slow? Simple ... I did the ignition by tapping action groups. And that will be a thing of the past.