Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

And I thought that someone was a peaceful builder... ;)

Have you stepped by R-SUV lately? The war drums are beating indeed! And a bunch of suits pilfered our best blueprints and schematics, so expect new UFOs on the skies soon-ish.

Rune. There is a reason I have the skunkworks thread. ;)

after watching the live broadcast of the Soyuzlaunch frpm Korou today, i worked a bit on my Soyuz rockets again ...

improved enginelayout (going back to good old 20 main nozzles) and worked a lot on the fairing and Fregat upper stage. i think the next Soyuz pack will include a Soyuz ST with two satelites and a Fregat. ... and fixed launchtower <_<

3suRU5f.jpg

DIOUh4c.jpg

Nice! I have to try my hand at a R-7 one of these days... I imagine it would look a lot like that!

Rune. The heavy RAPIER in rocket mode is a nice touch to get the right number of nozzles.

Out of pure curiosity, why do you sometimes mix two words?

Oh, and nice Fregat BTW, really digging that soyuz! :wink:

good question ... next question :D well my english is not the best so i make mistakes :blush: and thanks. finaly i can use the round RCS tanks with the monopropengine ... i wish there would be an inline engine...

next WIP, worked on the payload and fairings. fairings are big enough for a larger payload with Fregat or a Progress. still not happy about the fairingdecoupling...

KMFlYOe.jpg

1 ton to geosyncorbit with Fregat and 1 ton to different mun orbits with Fregat and droptank ... sounds this good? :D really going to love the RCS engines now. foudn out, that they produced thrust even when they are clipped inside things like decouplers, structual griders and more.

I'm working on this thing on and off, and it is massively underpowered in horizontal flight, so SSTO is a long way off. VTOL testing and payload handling, however, is pretty much done and the balance is great. Still, don't expect it soon, I have plenty of other projects and I can imagine something this complex will throw some gremlins at me along the way. But I'll keep you posted!

4A7QSgv.png

6Q1hoce.png

Rune. And I wanted to show it off.

These are some incredible builds! Very happy with what you all came up with. :)

Anyway, here's my contraption; a throttle-able engine which spins some winglets that propel this rover at a maximum speed of 15 m/s (Which I'm trying to increase).

GHgni6P.jpg

ipMPt86.gif

Edited by Rthsom

Her modeling is done, ready for some vigorous flight testing.

SPGbl34.png

she has some serious nose down problems because her CoL is not Rearward enough from the Cog... Had to use some dirty tactics to keep her controllable >=)

FDiUOD5.png

Edited by Jetenginestar

Have you considered strapping wings to it?

I did, but it doesn't have quite enough speed to take off. I might have to reduce even more friction by making bearings out of landing gear, just like the helicopter designs (either that, or use mainsails :P).

I did, but it doesn't have quite enough speed to take off. I might have to reduce even more friction by making bearings out of landing gear, just like the helicopter designs (either that, or use mainsails :P).

At least it's better than my attempt a while ago.

s7a6y0H.jpg

7.3m/s was still too low for it to fly even after adding more wings.

ok, based on Rthsom's idea, i tried to recreate stock Helicopters :)

it seems we have a liftoff ! (though other than hover, it's not yet really manoeuverable :P)

isNBihHm.png

y87L5JEm.png

a larger wheel allows for a bit more torque, (though we also have countertorque to cancel out) :P

(also, the wing at the tip is stacked 3 times - they get much more lift at the tip)

i used two countertorque jet engines here, to prevent the jet engine to create other undesired torques :P

as with Rthsom's design, the thing can be throttled down :)

here's the craft file, for those who would want to fiddle with the system :Phttp://www./view/x27xcwvh2u9lc95/Test_Helicopter.craft