I enhanced my KSP experience.

TYRT

For a while my laptop screen was broken due to unfortunate circumstances, so most of the screen was unusable, but I did have an HDMI output and hooked it up. Since I had my graphics all the way up it was amazing.

Plus I used a Joystick. It was the best fun I had in the game in a long time.

I used to have my PC plugged into a giant TV as well, but because I placed it on the table in front of me, there wasn't much room for me to sit further away without uncomfortably trying to reach my keyboard. I had to sit further away because the TV was causing me to strain my eyes more (being so close to it), which isn't a particularly healthy thing to do.

Eventually, I got rid of the TV and bought a standard 24 inch monitor screen instead.

Aside from the fact you're limited to 1080p ... what's better, sitting 10 feet away from a 60" TV or 3 feet from a 27" monitor? Mathematicians, help me out here! I'm inclined to think that the visible area is better with a monitor ... not to mention the resolution is better.

Wait, I can hook my computer of to a tv!?!?

I MUST CONNECT IT TO THE 42 INCH OR SOMETHING TV IN MY BASEMENT!!!

Or just have my game pop up on my sisters screen and scare the crap out of her,

Or the third option is turning the living room TV into the main screen for a mission control room!

Imagine the possibilities!!*

*if I even figure out how.

Wait, I can hook my computer of to a tv!?!?

I MUST CONNECT IT TO THE 42 INCH OR SOMETHING TV IN MY BASEMENT!!!

Or just have my game pop up on my sisters screen and scare the crap out of her,

Or the third option is turning the living room TV into the main screen for a mission control room!

Imagine the possibilities!!*

*if I even figure out how.

Adds a custom panel of USB buttons, and you're set!

I have been daydreaming about doing exactly this all day at work.... I have the TV, but why are the darned USB button/switch setups soo crazy expensive.... I'd have to shell out $1K just to be able to do action groups on toggle switches this way. :-(

(And no, I'm no where near talented enough to just rip a keyboard apart and re-wire it.)

I did this through screen-sharing my Mac's screen through my AppleTV. My teenaged nerd son so enjoyed the explosions he wanted to play the game himself. He's downloaded the demo and as soon as I see it on sale on Steam again I'm going to gift it to him as a surprise. :D

I did this through screen-sharing my Mac's screen through my AppleTV. My teenaged nerd son so enjoyed the explosions he wanted to play the game himself. He's downloaded the demo and as soon as I see it on sale on Steam again I'm going to gift it to him as a surprise. :D

I'm using mac too, can you airshare your screen via Wi-Fi?

Aside from the fact you're limited to 1080p ... what's better, sitting 10 feet away from a 60" TV or 3 feet from a 27" monitor? Mathematicians, help me out here! I'm inclined to think that the visible area is better with a monitor ... not to mention the resolution is better.

You can compare them via a simple ratio. Viewing a 24" monitor from 36" away is the same thing as viewing a 60" TV from 90" away.

You mean, limited by the game?

Didn't know KSP cannot run at more than 1080p.

You mean, limited by the game?

Didn't know KSP cannot run at more than 1080p.

No, limited by the resolution of the T.V. I too have been using my T.V. as my monitor for several years. But the lower resolution is noticeable. The up side is that I can watch content from my couch and did not have to by a separate 3-D setup for my monitor.

No, limited by the resolution of the T.V. I too have been using my T.V. as my monitor for several years. But the lower resolution is noticeable. The up side is that I can watch content from my couch and did not have to by a separate 3-D setup for my monitor.

But 1080p is not the maximum resolution possible.

Anyway, that's a good idea.

Ksp works well on a dual monitor display or its better to use telemachus on the other screen instead?

From your normal TV watching position. hold your laptop up in front of the TV. If your laptop screen covers the TV screen (like mine), you're better off just using the laptop screen. Now if only KSP supported dual, separate monitors, to put the map screen up on the wall-mounted TV. KSP mission control room FTW!

I have a 17.3" laptop, and my 55" TV is sitting about 8 feet from the couch. Now, how about we try running Telemachus (puts raw flight data into your web browser mission control style) on my laptop and put KSP on the big screen . . . . Not to mention I could hook up my Saitek X52 Pro joystick and make my flight sim addict father jealous as crap . . .

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Three screens in nVidia Surround does a wicked job. Those are not done at my 'native' resolution, but one full scaling down from it. 4320x900.

I normally play in 5040x1050, but I downscaled to reduce file size a bit.

Sadly, for those of you viewing on a single monitor, it'll be hard to appreciate what I actually see. Also, to answer the most common questions I get about surround, I'll just list a few of 'em.

"Don't the edges of the screens bother you?" No. You don't notice them when playing. Even in KSP with info on both sides of your focus screen, you look directly at what you need and back again. And in flight, the extra information is out of the way.

"Isn't it expensive?" To a point. Two cards are needed to do it, and three matched monitors, but even my well-worn set of GTX 580's can play KSP respectably quick on 3 monitors I got cheaply.

"I have an AMD card, can I do the same thing?" Pretty much. AMD calls theirs "Eyefinity" while nVidia calls it "Surround." I'm not sure about hardware requirements, though, for the AMD side of things.

and the most often asked question: "Why?" Because I wanted to try it. And then I found it fun. And yes, day to day tasks aren't really any different with 3 screens acting as one. Quirks here and there, but you adapt.

But, I don't intend to derail the thread entirely. I merely felt obligated to join in on the KSP experience enhancements.

I believe Eyefinity supports three monitors with only a single card. Wish I had room on my desk for three monitors , but if I do that, there'll be precious little room for anything else. Note to anyone wishing to try this: the extended screen works beautifully with three monitors, but not with two, because with two monitors the screen break is right in the middle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.