HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

Feel free, I'm not promising anything mind you, but I'm willing to at least take a look for sure.

Fair enough, you can't promise anything when you have not seen anything! That's all right, I'll give it a shot then. Should I PM you the images or just drop them in the thread?

Okay. I've almost finished the concept for the capsule itself. It's a bit more spacey than the mk 1-2 pod.

Edit: Here it is.

HGRSoyuzAlikeConceptIdea.png

Tell me what you think. Should I continue this? (I like drawing this :3)

QuickEdit2: I forgot. The pod could have small retrorockets, just like the real thing. The mass of the pod should be ~4.3 tons, because it is slightly bigger than the Mk 1-2 pod. Suppose you have parachutes that slow down the pod to 12m/s, those rockets should have a power of uh.. *calccalccalc* 25000 N = 25kN to slow the pod down to 6m/s.

Edited by aeTIos

Okay. I've almost finished the concept for the capsule itself. It's a bit more spacey than the mk 1-2 pod.

Edit: Here it is.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64788231/HGRSoyuzAlikeConceptIdea.png

Tell me what you think. Should I continue this? (I like drawing this :3)

Sounds great ! Just a question, what did you use to draw this ?

Looks pretty good, but bigger than I was planning. With the mk 1-2 pod basically being Apollo I feel that this should be a little smaller than that. When I get home from work today I'll draw out how I've been planning the exterior.

Edited by Orionkermin

It's going to be designed to fit on 2.5m parts, but be a little skinnier. I'm planning to give it two nodes again one with an autoshroud that goes out to 2.5, the other intended to connect to a dedicated service module. The top will be 1.25m. I'll explain in better detail when I can get some pictures drawn up to help me out.

Okay, this is very rough and quicky mock-up so forgive me. The grey is the capsule, red node is where a shroud will spawn, blue node is meant for the service module but could be used as a normal node for creative designs, the green cylinder is a representation of an average 2.5m part like a fuel tank or a poodle.

Mock_zps07492253.png

So the idea is that the pod will have less resources than the mk1-2 pod and be a little smaller. This means less battery power, less monopropellant, less torque on the reaction wheels, etc. This way by itself it can act as a sort of mk 1-2 "light" version, not as good but less weight. In this case you can just attach it using the built in shroud (shown in red) and it will fit the large size parts fine.

Now when you instead use the dedicated service module (shown in blue and a separate part from the pod) you get a heavy duty system. I'm planning for the service module to contain extra battery power, extra monopropellant, a supply of fuel and oxidizer, and a reaction wheel of its own to add to the torque power of the craft. It will also likely include a built in decoupler to keep the part count in both the VAB and this mod down.

I hope this gives a better idea of the sort of design direction I'm planning to go in with this pod. Also please remember this is only a mock-up and the actual thing will look much different.

Aha! That's nice. Are you also giving the service module an auto-shroud? Also, you do plan on an orbital module, right? If so, are you also making fairings?

Please tell me if I ask too much. I'm very eager to see how this turns out :D

Aha! That's nice. Are you also giving the service module an auto-shroud? Also, you do plan on an orbital module, right? If so, are you also making fairings?

Please tell me if I ask too much. I'm very eager to see how this turns out :D

It's ok I know you're excited lol.

The answer to most of it though is that it's still too early to tell. An orbital module would be nice and I'd like to make one, but I want the parts I make to work universally. So for example, an orbital module could double as a mini hitchhiker pod. The service/instrument module will be able to connect with a mk1-2 pod if you so desire. But, stuff like dedicated heatshield that only fits this pod, or same for special parachutes or fairings, I'm against because it clutters the VAB, bloats the mod, and often times you can find these types of parts from other mods.

Also remember there's already this Soviet pack. It has extensively detailed recreations of the actual thing, so I feel my parts need to do something different and be meant to be used alongside the stock parts already in the game.

Edit: Don't worry about asking questions either, I'll try to answer the best I can, as long as I actually have an answer that is. :sticktongue:

It's ok I know you're excited lol.

The answer to most of it though is that it's still too early to tell. An orbital module would be nice and I'd like to make one, but I want the parts I make to work universally. So for example, an orbital module could double as a mini hitchhiker pod. The service/instrument module will be able to connect with a mk1-2 pod if you so desire. But, stuff like dedicated heatshield that only fits this pod, or same for special parachutes or fairings, I'm against because it clutters the VAB, bloats the mod, and often times you can find these types of parts from other mods.

Also remember there's already this Soviet pack. It has extensively detailed recreations of the actual thing, so I feel my parts need to do something different and be meant to be used alongside the stock parts already in the game.

Edit: Don't worry about asking questions either, I'll try to answer the best I can, as long as I actually have an answer that is. :sticktongue:

Okay. Just trying to figure out how you want stuff to work :) As for the heatshield, if the pod were 2.5m you could've also used that for the mk1-2 pod. So yeah. And indeed, I suppose you could use an OM as a 3-man (Maybe 2? So you have to keep 1 kerbal in the command pod at all times, which is a pretty realistic scenario, I think) hitchhiker.

Do you already have plans on how the Service Module would attach to the carrier rocket? I would like if there was a way to have it attach to a 2.5m Procedural Fairing without an engine shroud. Of course, that depends on what engine the service module will use, any plans about that?

I'm not planning to build an engine into it so that people have more options available to them. Unfortunately unless you use radial engines that will probably mean leaving a shroud behind. But, I feel limiting this to a single built in engine would give it too narrow of a scope for a stock like part. If course you could always disable the shroud on whatever engine you use, or even easier, use a stack seperator and the fairing will not be on your PF base.

So here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about basing the orbital module more off of the Shenzhou for a couple reasons. For one thing I think it looks more kerbal-ish. It also would make it look better doubling as a small station part or a (fat)1.25m habitat. After reading about the Shenzhou I've been thinking about giving it a little built in probe core as well regardless of the aesthetic style I choose.

Here's some examples to give you an idea of what I mean.

shenzhou-spacecraft.jpg

So yea, let me know what you think. Even if you hate the idea. Progress is moving slowly but surely. (lol progress) But I don't want to show anything until I have at least most of each piece done, just because Soyuz is a spacecraft that's more than the sum of it's parts and I think just seeing a single part doesn't have the same effect.

So here's a question for you guys. I've been thinking about basing the orbital module more off of the Shenzhou for a couple reasons. For one thing I think it looks more kerbal-ish. It also would make it look better doubling as a small station part or a (fat)1.25m habitat. After reading about the Shenzhou I've been thinking about giving it a little built in probe core as well regardless of the aesthetic style I choose.

Here's some examples to give you an idea of what I mean.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fK4QSkonLgo/Tq88Y2DPnFI/AAAAAAAAg9o/DUqAiuEocmc/s1600/shenzhou-spacecraft.jpg

So yea, let me know what you think. Even if you hate the idea. Progress is moving slowly but surely. (lol progress) But I don't want to show anything until I have at least most of each piece done, just because Soyuz is a spacecraft that's more than the sum of it's parts and I think just seeing a single part doesn't have the same effect.

I wouldn't mind it . But as you accidentally mentioned progress (:D) I wanted to ask if you maybe als want to make an extra set of parts which don't have any crew capacity but solely storage purposes for replacement of the manned capsule/orbiter. So as an unmanned craft which bases on the manned spacecraft just like progress. I guess that would also work with a Shenzou style ship.

Not really a request just some thoughts thrown in the room .. :)

It's something I've thought about but if I do it it'll be something I do later. I wish there was a way to set a max amount of "stuff" a part could hold and then people could use tweakables to choose their cargo.

Well if you would do it that would be sweet but it is no problem when it comes after the other parts :D I am eagerly awaiting first pictures of your current project .Not to speak of me waiting for it's availability :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.