[0.23] Science Redefined v1.0

Rhidian

Sciene Redefined v1.0 (1/24/2014)

Because Science is what Careers are based off of

Author: Rhidian

Science Redefined is my revamp of the Science system within Career mode. Simply put, it changes how much Science is collected by experiments, allows Science to be recollected over time, and makes the Mobile Science Lab much much better.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Features:

(Plugin)

-Removes Science Decay. Science gained from successive experiments will not go down.

-Allows Science to be recollected after a period of time. If, for example, you wait/warp through 100 in-game days, you can recollect all of the scientific data all over again from all experiments/biomes

-Makes the Science Lab more awesome. As well as boosting the actual data amount of experiments collected with it in the Vessel, it's Data Processing allows 100% transmission of data for any experiment

-Unlocking the Scientific tech nodes in RnD increases the Science cap for all experiments, reflecting the Kerbals' ability to better grasp what data they need

(Config File - Requires ModuleManager)

-Increases the Science Cap across the board for Stock experiments. In general the science cap tends to start at about 3x the base value

-Provides a sharp distinction between the transmission values of sample-based experiments an data-based ones. Data-based can be transmitted at 100% naturally, while Sample-based experiments require the Lab module to transmit efficiently

Download Link for Version 1.0 (Source in Zip)

(License: MIT)

Compatability

This mod extends the ModuleScienceExperiment, ModuleScienceContainer, and ModuleScienceLab classes, so there may be a conflict with any other mods that extend those. However, other mods that simply add/modify experiments by changing the ScienceDefs file should work fine.

Please let me know what you guys think :cool:

Edited by Rhidian

For what it's worth, a version of my mod that only makes changes to the Science Lab awesomeness can be found here (MIT License, Source Included in Zip). It still extends the three main science module classes, it only lets the lab boost all experiments to 100% (after lab processing) along with its passive data size boost, and the cfg file included only changes the stock parts to work with the plugin.

Although I said there might be compatability issues with mods that change/extend the ModuleScienceExperiment etc classes (ie how science in general performs), I will point out that there should be no compatability issues with mods that only add experiment parts and/or change the ScienceDefs files.

I haven't properly set up my station so I can't properly test, but I hope this works with Station Science!

Hrm, looks like Station Science makes its own extensions of the ModuleScienceExperiment and ModuleScienceContainer classes. From what I can tell the Station Science experiments (and parts which use Station Science experiments) will be mostly unaffected by my mod with two exceptions (that I can see):

1) The Mobile Lab's *Process Lab Data* action should be able to change any transmission values from Station Science experiments to 100% if the data is already stored,

2) Using a non-StationScience experiment (one changed by my mod) will cause changes to the 'current data collected' value of StationScience subjects like it does to the stock experiments, allowing more science to be collected if the cap had already been reached.

I was testing this out on the launchpad because I didn't fully understand the features, and correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've observed:

1. I can do multiple crew reports, eva, and surface samples. (Increased science cap part)

2. I get the same amount if I redo the reports/samples until I deplete the science pool for the area. (Does not decay part)

3. Crew and EVA transmits at 100%; surface samples, temp, mystery goo do not. I haven't unlocked the later experiments yet. (Data vs sample based part but I can get sometimes get 100% transmission with the Processing Lab)

4. I don't have to wait the full 100 days, but the "pool" doesn't fully fill up if I just wait for say, just a week, compared to a lot of days.

I still haven't gotten a station into orbit yet, but I assume it's as you say it would be with Station Science. If so, I can keep a station in LKO and it won't be fully useless when I deplete the area cap.

I'm really liking your mod, it's not really cheesy with the repeating science as you have to wait for a while for the full cap for the area.

The boost isn't that big, well maybe for far away experiments, but you have to work for it anyway.

It's also a nice bonus when passing through previous visited biomes, as I can get a little bit more science.

I was testing this out on the launchpad because I didn't fully understand the features, and correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've observed:

1. I can do multiple crew reports, eva, and surface samples. (Increased science cap part)

2. I get the same amount if I redo the reports/samples until I deplete the science pool for the area. (Does not decay part)

3. Crew and EVA transmits at 100%; surface samples, temp, mystery goo do not. I haven't unlocked the later experiments yet. (Data vs sample based part but I can get sometimes get 100% transmission with the Processing Lab)

4. I don't have to wait the full 100 days, but the "pool" doesn't fully fill up if I just wait for say, just a week, compared to a lot of days.

I still haven't gotten a station into orbit yet, but I assume it's as you say it would be with Station Science. If so, I can keep a station in LKO and it won't be fully useless when I deplete the area cap.

I'm really liking your mod, it's not really cheesy with the repeating science as you have to wait for a while for the full cap for the area.

The boost isn't that big, well maybe for far away experiments, but you have to work for it anyway.

It's also a nice bonus when passing through previous visited biomes, as I can get a little bit more science.

That pretty much sums it up. For point #4 the reason I said 100 days is because I tried to set the default value to be roughly 1% of the Science cap value for that area per day. So if the cap is 100 science for an experiment/area and you wait 7 days after depleting the available science to 0, you'll be able to collect up to 7 science again.

Surely you could just collect science, transmit, warp repeat and get huge science amounts.

If you have a Science Lab to restore the experiments each time, then sure. But at that point it's a conscious choice the player is making, and waiting 100 ingame days between getting the full experiment points again from a planet is inefficient if that is the only ship used.

Though now that I think about it, the Probe problem still exists due to how experiments can't be reset without the presence of a (manned) Science Lab. I suppose it would be possible through cfg editing to add a Science Lab module to a probe core and set the dataTransmissionBoost and crew required to zero.

On another note, it seems like a good number of Science Parts make their own extension of the ModuleScienceExperiment class and add their own functionality to it. The way the compatibility should work is this: This mod (and cfg file) will not have any effect on parts that use the extended ModuleScienceExperiments from the cfg files of other mods. Or put another way, other science part mods will work exactly as described.

I don't usually transmit reports back so I didn't really notice this at first but something weird is happening.

The transmission rate listed when gathering surface samples is different from the transmitted amount, I'm getting the whole 100%. I thought samples data are lowered when transmitted? The Goo and the Science Jr transmissions are as listed though.

For example, this first one:

1) Gathered 80 Science, 0% transmission listed

2) Reviewing report lists 67% (but shows 80 Science too)

3) Transmitted amount is 100% (gained 80)

It could be just that I just didn't know that Surface Samples are considered like Crew and EVA reports. :P

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Piamette
Added 80 Science part to 2), added gained 80 to 3)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe someone can help me: I think the changes this mod makes to science collection are fantastic, but it seems like it breaks the Mobile Lab--namely, if you have a ship with the mobile lab as part of it, you lose all ability to right click on any part! Anyone else have this problem? I can't think of any other mods that would cause compatibility errors, since the rest of mine are just parts and texture mods.

The plugin itself seems to cause the error--the CFG files doesn't.

Edited by Synthesis

I see how it was supposed to work. But locating the science experiment modules with ModuleManager... that doesn't work at all. Not even when I explicitly define the part it's supposed to look in.

Edit: To be more helpful, with no other mods installed the "xmitDataScalar" goes unchanged while the "decayRate" value is set properly. The only way I've made it work is by explicitly defining both the part and the science experiment module.

Edited by ayana

I see how it was supposed to work. But locating the science experiment modules with ModuleManager... that doesn't work at all. Not even when I explicitly define the part it's supposed to look in.

Edit: To be more helpful, with no other mods installed the "xmitDataScalar" goes unchanged while the "decayRate" value is set properly. The only way I've made it work is by explicitly defining both the part and the science experiment module.

Hmmm...very strange. Wonder if that's triggering the Mobile Lab glitch, since it works so strangely in the base game. Then again, Rhidian specifically mentioned the mobile lab...

• 1 month later...
Does this change the way Mod labs work as well? (I can think of several that have the same functionality as the stock lab, but look better)

Weirdly, the KSO mobile labs work (you can right click on them). This mod just breaks the default mobile lab, I think.

The modulemanager file is borked.

Bold bit is invalid.

I thought it might be something like that, but I had no way of knowing what line (it's all Greek to me). Thanks, I'll try it out when I get back from work.

Okay, my vision isn't what it used to be....do you mean the exclamation mark?

EDIT: Well, deleting the !@ or ! doesn't seem to fix the bug, at least for me. Almost had it!

Edited by Synthesis

either

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer],@MODULE[ModuleScienceLab]]:Final

or

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleScienceContainer],!MODULE[ModuleScienceLab]]:Final

should be valid, and there are several other errors that are very similar. The first line means, 'Any part with a ModuleScienceContainer and a ModuleScienceLab', the second line means 'Any part with a ModuleScienceContainer but without a ModuleScienceLab'.

Not sure which is intended.

Unfortunately, my apparent incompetency regarding ModuleManager is keeping me from fixing this myself in Text editor, bah. Could I impose on someone for their working CFG file?

EDIT: Bah, I was editing the wrong file! enneract, you're a scholar and a gentleman (or lady), and I thank you.

Edited by Synthesis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.