[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

859 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

Its a tool for experienced KSP players who want to automate some of the repetitive stuff.

And allow you to do precise manoeuvre you couldn't achieve with keyboard, especially with the thrust or acceleration limit you can set in the tool. Even for beginner like me, it's a great help to be on perfect geosynchronous orbit ;)

Still, nobody said if it was running fine along mechjeb under x32 KSP.

And allow you to do precise manoeuvre you couldn't achieve with keyboard, especially with the thrust or acceleration limit you can set in the tool. Even for beginner like me, it's a great help to be on perfect geosynchronous orbit ;)

Hmmmm. maybe I should add some kind of gauge in NanoGauges for getting into geosynchronous orbit so the we manual obsessed kerbal commanders could do it better. :)

Hmmmm. maybe I should add some kind of gauge in NanoGauges for getting into geosynchronous orbit so the we manual obsessed kerbal commanders could do it better. :)

Or I can install your mod and use kOS And spend 3 hours making my program working as intended for my launcher automatic operations ;)

What kind of issue between Mechjeb and Final Frontier? So I could test and give you some logs if you want.

Well. As UAL002 already said, there shouldn't be any issues with FF and MechJeb. Even if mechJeb does anything automatically all crewmembers should get their ribbons.

EDIT: Ah, I see. there is an old note on the first page regarding incompatibility between FF and MechJeb. Well, this is outdated and probably was not even true. The issues were caused by other things, if I remember right.

Edited by Nereid

I didn't see this brought up in the thread, so I copy a post from over at Kerbal Construction Time:

[...] I noticed today in a relatively new save that the ribbon window (where it tracks the achievements for my kerbonauts) keeps getting reset. I have more troubleshooting to do, as I do have a metric butt-ton of mods active, but the Simulate option from KCT seems like it might be a culprit. Is there any known interactivity issue between these two mods?

I ran into that same issue recently and suspect the problem is on FF's end, since it uses a separate save file instead of using KSP's integrated save mechanism. If anything, FF needs to modify the way it keeps track of its information.

Is migrating halloffame.ksp to KSP's ConfigNode mechanism planned? If not, would you consider going that route? It would certainly improve reverting, loading older save files, and general compatibility with other mods that modify in-game time in one way or another.

Edited by Corax

I didn't see this brought up in the thread, so I copy a post from over at Kerbal Construction Time:

Is migrating halloffame.ksp to KSP's ConfigNode mechanism planned? If not, would you consider going that route? It would certainly improve reverting, loading older save files, and general compatibility with other mods that modify in-game time in one way or another.

I did not checked the new KSP save mechanics (multiple saves) yet. Maybe they could cause some issues if they won't store its data in a seperate folder. To use another kind of save format/structure/classes/api/whatsever in the KSPsave is on my todo list, but it will come with a price. The way its done makes sure that FF doesn't corrupt anything and its making debugging much easier.

Currently FF could only work with a single timeline. If time is reverted all ribbons to that point in time are lost. Loading another save including a later point in time will not bring back any ribbons.

Some others have asked this already. And I have thought about it a few times. I'm a bit reluctant to do this for a few reasons: First it's a tedious task, no fun at all from a programmers point of view. Second we need a migration path. And then there is a chance for new bugs that will cause data loss. Any backups would have to be done outside FF and we need a better backup plugin in my opinion.

The positive aspects: the halloffame.ksp was simple at first. But now the code for reading it is getting way to complicated. Extending it for new features is no fun at all, too. So recoding it would remove some clumsy things a text parser regulary suffers from.

The main problem at the moment is time.... well not time directly, but on October 30. EU4 will be released. So that weekend is completely reserved for another game. ;)

Maybe in the first weeks of November I could try to implement another persistence solution - or I get bored to death until then and I realise that's much easier to implement than I'm expecting. ;)

To answer your question, if its planed: Yo/Nes. The answer is somewhere between Yes and No. ;)

I did not checked the new KSP save mechanics (multiple saves) yet. Maybe they could cause some issues if they won't store its data in a seperate folder. To use another kind of save format/structure/classes/api/whatsever in the KSPsave is on my todo list, but it will come with a price. The way its done makes sure that FF doesn't corrupt anything and its making debugging much easier.

Currently FF could only work with a single timeline. If time is reverted all ribbons to that point in time are lost. Loading another save including a later point in time will not bring back any ribbons.

The way I understand them, that's the idea behind using KSP's ConfigNodes. Everything is stored in the persistence.sfs and quicksave.sfs by KSP API methods, and whenever a game is saved, loaded, or reverted, KSP itself takes care of the actual loading/saving. That way nothing can get out of sync, at least not because of multiple save files and non-concurrent access methods.

I picked this mod up on a lark. Now I consider it indispensable. So much so that I've stuck Jeb, Bob and Bill on a rover at KSC so they're not in my list getting in the way of my otherwise mortal Kerbals, risking everything for a shot at fame and fortune. I picked up Texture Replacer and figured out how to set up custom suits and heads for my brave Kerbonauts and change their names into something more memorable. I spend significant time deciding who goes on what mission based on this history and collection of ribbons.

Funny as it sounds, it's made the game a lot more fun for me. It's not just about getting to Duna - it's about who's going to get the ribbon for being the first Kerbal (in this playthrough) to get to Duna. My decorated hero doesn't get assigned to warming a seat on a resupply station, he's doing rescue missions and planting flags and training up for his big missions.

Thanks for the mod, it's a ton of fun.

I'm still getting missions and missions times dropping from my Kerbals randomly. They have mission ribbons and in a few cases they had up to 5 and they get cleared. Could the transfer system cause it? Maybe the way I backup saves. I just copy and paste my save folder occasionally to have a backup. I've had to go to it a few times. Sometimes my missions get corrupted and cleared. Not sure why. I though my habit of reverting flights might have done it in the past but I am now playing on hardcore and have never reverted.

Hey, don't know if this was reported already, but using a separate file for saving award and kerbal history doesn't always work well.

Most notably with Kerbal Construction time, there is a lot of simulation before actually building a vessel, after the simulation the game reverts to a saved backup, but with separate files, the simulations are recorded as actual flights...

Things are worse if reverting to older save files, I keep a date logged history of my career progress, once I reverted to very earlier save the all the data was completely lost. Luckily I had lowered the number of backups, leaving some files untouched which were with the most recent records.

Embedding data in the save file should fix all these issues, I suppose quick loading might also pose a problem.

Maybe reworking the mod to use CrewFiles http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83755

Hope this helps, anyway, thanks for the work and awesome mod.

Hey, don't know if this was reported already, but using a separate file for saving award and kerbal history doesn't always work well.

Most notably with Kerbal Construction time, there is a lot of simulation before actually building a vessel, after the simulation the game reverts to a saved backup, but with separate files, the simulations are recorded as actual flights...

Things are worse if reverting to older save files, I keep a date logged history of my career progress, once I reverted to very earlier save the all the data was completely lost. Luckily I had lowered the number of backups, leaving some files untouched which were with the most recent records.

Embedding data in the save file should fix all these issues, I suppose quick loading might also pose a problem.

Maybe reworking the mod to use CrewFiles http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83755

Hope this helps, anyway, thanks for the work and awesome mod.

I know nothing about the complexity of coding this mod. But I'm kinda with this guy.

I haven't had this work since .24.

I had this in earlier versions.

When I recover a vessel and back to space center. The frontier window shows up. Stating No new ribbons. Or something like that.

There's no info when going through my kerbals in pilot center.

This is an excellent mod. Way better than trying to track everything on my phone calendar.

One question: Does the time currently work? I have KCT and so my first launch wasn't until day 6, but the ribbons credit me for day 2. I see the Kerbin Time toggle in settings, but it's already on?

EDIT: I get it now! It's working to change the display time format, I thought it meant something else.

New Question: Is there an option I'm not seeing, to make the logs display the Kerbin day instead of a 24h human day? I can just math it out if not, but I thought I'd ask.

Edited by wrexecute

This is an excellent mod. Way better than trying to track everything on my phone calendar.

One question: Does the time currently work? I have KCT and so my first launch wasn't until day 6, but the ribbons credit me for day 2. I see the Kerbin Time toggle in settings, but it's already on?

EDIT: I get it now! It's working to change the display time format, I thought it meant something else.

New Question: Is there an option I'm not seeing, to make the logs display the Kerbin day instead of a 24h human day? I can just math it out if not, but I thought I'd ask.

I think there is a Kerbin time option in the settings button if you dig. If I remember correctly.

@UAL002 - Yeah, that's the one I messed with. I'm getting a switch between these formats when I use it:

(WrongDay), (h),(m),(s)
or (WrongDay), (hh):(mm):(ss)

The further I get along the timeline, the worse it's getting. I first saw it at Day 6, the logs saying Day 2. Now I'm 30 days into the game and the logs are on Day 7-ish. It's 180 hours either way you look at it, just weird that they're not adjusted for Kerbin 6h days.

I wonder if something got bugged. I'm not sure what vers of KSP you are on but I noticed after .25 on my x64 linux that some mods don't work right on first install. Just randomly uninstalling then re-installing them worked. Toolbar 1.7.7 didn't work for me at all for a while, then one day I redownloaded it, just curious and it worked.

It might be something else entirely, Im no expert. However I do think at this point this mod needs to integrate into the persistence file. Kerbal Alarm clock finally did. I think it might resolve some issues I'm having with missions and mission times getting reset or reverted for no reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.