Science of the Spheres - development

NovaSilisko

I see that first person (for the spacecraft) images are low quality. I am assuming that we will start with bad cameras but then get better and better cameras as the game progresses. Am I right?

Yep. What you see there is near the upper end of the technology, the best you'll be able to get is a comparable level of grain, less bloom, and 24fps video (if you choose to enable the fps reduction, it's not for everyone)

Tu1CrGK.jpg

Made a general purpose noise generator for meshes. Currently used for temporary planet terrain, later will be reused to generate random asteroids and other detritus.

g87eSYL.jpg

Tomorrow the terrains will gain proper collision, right now they're only using sphere primitives.

Edited by NovaSilisko

The atmospheres look a little too sharp. I think just a sort of haze effect similar to what is seen in Prototype Zero would be more effective. Right now they look like transparent shells, and it just looks a bit too janky.

I am aware. The atmospheres in P0 were actually particle effects. For now I might do something similar, but eventually it will need to be a volumetric looking shader. And, if possible (though unlikely), make it so terrain features cast shadows through the atmosphere.

As was pointed out before, orbits are next to impossible, because

1) The planets are stationary, meaning their gravity tugs are consistent rather than periodic.

2) The planets are building sized, making tidal effects a Kraken to deal with.

As was pointed out before, orbits are next to impossible, because

1) The planets are stationary, meaning their gravity tugs are consistent rather than periodic.

2) The planets are building sized, making tidal effects a Kraken to deal with.

I actually managed to go into a stable orbit in prototype 0.

Oh hey, a sticky! Pleasant surprise to come back to after a power outage.

Will be making a video of the current state of the gameplay sometime soon.

For now, here's the unfurnished and non-lightmapped interior shell:

MwSqeNl.jpg

Edited by NovaSilisko

Is Tony supposed to be Astronaut-suited?

Nah, it's just a model I use for scale.

r4m0n's currently fighting some hard drive issues, so the collision meshes being fully functional might take quite a bit longer than anticipated. We'll see.

Edit: You know I have a feeling that this thread being stickied might've actually decreased its exposure given a lot of people have a tendency to glaze over stickied threads given how infrequently they change :sticktongue:

Edited by NovaSilisko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.