Mini Saturn V Apollo 11

I've been playing this game for a while now(since the only place to go was the moon). most players like me have all recreated the famed Apollo 11 mission. I'm not a huge history buff. And I don't pour over Wikipedia pages researching every detail (don't beat me up to bad if I didn't get the TWR or fuel weights right on every stage :) )but I think I made a pretty decent approximation. Being that I been playing a while now and only just started getting active on the forums I thought I would start sharing.

* Part count sits at 379

* The first stage is a monster so launch at 66% throttle then ease the throttle up to full.

* Taper throttle back as you reach 200ms

* Turn off SAS as you start your gravity turn at 10,000m

* When docking with the LEM just hit action group "1". That will decouple the CSM, remove the top of the side fairings and turn on the lights installed inside the shroud under the LEM to aid in docking.

* Action group "2" is for solar panels on the CSM.

* This craft was designed built and tested with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. If you don't have KJR you are bad, and should feel bad. Just kidding:D, but seriously you should download that. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-0-23-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v1-7-1-18-14-v2-0x2-experimental-available%21 . Thank you Mr ferram4. You bring a kind of sensibility to this game like no other modder.

* (Craft) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NeorjKSyhBVlcySzhLa3p2MlU/edit?usp=sharing

VLwWwKB.pngrz6qjut.pngeeJnPIl.pngBpnI4Qw.pngwgoVbyf.png If you like it, love it, hate it or just don't care. Feel free to praise me, stalk me, beat me up or "meh" respectively.

It's a single stage. Some comprimises had to be made to get every thing in the fairing. And given the choice between a decoupler and a waffle iron, well you know kerbals. :)

Hi Genolution! I really like your launch vehicle.

You say that you couldn't have a two stage lander due to the fairing size. I am assuming you used a command seat?

Its possible to make a two stage lander that's around the size of the one you made there.

I hope you wont be offended if I post one of my pictures just for reference.

4706382D00AA5DC94E236FF28DDD21576F87F570

This is two stage and only a little bigger than the one you made.

Also checkout the Pico landers that Giggleplex and GusTurbo made.

It would add a bit more accuracy to your recreation. And nothing beats bumping into the left decent stage and flag on a future Mun mission!!

MJ

No feedback? My mother always told me, '' If you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all''. I guess I'm the only one who thinks this lander is an improvement. :(

LOL, its a huge improvement!

How does it fit into your small fairing?

MJ

Very tightly and slightly off center. If I attach the LEM centered to the third stage the command seat on the buggy pokes through the fairing. May need to use a ladder instead. Just got home from work(13 hour shift). Need to work fast to explore my options before I pass out. Does the command seat even have collision detection? I'm not so sure.

No feedback? My mother always told me, '' If you don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all''. I guess I'm the only one who thinks this lander is an improvement. :(

A bit too part intensive for my tastes (I would have saved a lot of trouble and just used a landing can), but I can see its appeal, it is certainly intricate. Good job!

Rune. BTW I've just posted the finished N1, check it out!

And thx Rune. Yeah my part count certainly took a hit but Majorjim pointed out an inadequacy with my lander and I felt challenged. I could not live with myself if I backed down from a video game spaceship challenge. What kind of man would I be? :)

I'll have to make some time this weekend to try that N1 out. (1st day off in 3 months \o/)

Edited by Genolution

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.