Small Question about Docking

What science level do you need to unlock them? I am assuming they don't come all at the same time so when you do get each one precisely? I just got my first solar panel tech because I haven't been playing career a lot. From where I am now, how close am I? Thanks for your help.

The purpose of this sub-forum is for players to offer each other something more helpful than an internet search engine. If you have nothing constructive to offer, please simply skip to the next thread.

Agreed, Dom did not give a direct answer. He did something even better by showinghow the OP could have answered his own question.

The image Bengsch85 linked was literally just two mouse clicks beyond Dom's. Most questions on the forum nowadays can be answered within a minute by doing a proper search.

Navyfish's plugin is really helpful. Particularly the fact that it shows the distance between docking ports not just between the ships COM. So is MechJeb. You don't get any autopilots early in the tech tree but you do get basic Smart A.S.S. functions that help with docking and you can easily make custom windows that show you all sorts of details about your target. (closest approach distance and relative velocity, time to closest approach, ect.)

One thing I didn't like about the tech tree is that the docking ports are all spread out. One node gets you basic and sheilded ports. If you want small ports for probes that's another node to unlock and large or inline ports is a third node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.