[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Anybody could point me please why do I keep getting this when choosing dock camera? No image on KSO or SST.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16343096/Captura0.PNG

this is because you are not controlling the craft from a docking port because it is rest whenever you go to IVA, this can be fixed by setting an action group to control that docking port so that you can set it while in IVA. try AGMfor doing this if you forget in the VAB/SPH

Go to the Reference Object menu in the Target Menu of the MFD and select the docking port you want to use. Then go back to camera and the correct docking cam should be there (until you exit IVA I believe). No need for more mods. These MFDs are pretty powerful.

You can also use these menus to undock from IVA.

Edited by SaSquatch

A loosely associated question/plea for help:

I have a problem. I am trying to fly a Habitat to orbit and dock it to my station. I have 2 issues:

Firstly I'm using MechJeb 2.1.1 and the orbiter just reticle chases when it gets close to the m/s target. It's MechJeb's fault as my other craft do it a bit but I think the off-centre OMS thrust aggravates it BUT I'm aware it's been said multiple times that MechJeb compatibility is not guaranteed etc. Does anyone have a better suggestion for rendezvous and docking? Does ORDA work any better, for example? Any tips/tutorials on manually approaching the station from a half-decent rendezvous point? MechJeb will get me in the right ballpark but it can't do the fine work.

P.S. If you want to just bash me for not being hardcore and doing it all by hand please don't waste the skin on your fingertips, I play the game my way, you play it your way, we can co-exist and be happy.

Secondly, getting modules out of the payload bay and docking them to the station. How? I know the SST is designed for shunting and parking modules. That's grand. The problem I have is that if I release the docking port holding the module inside the cargo bay it gives the modules all sorts of momentum in silly directions. If I free-float a module in the bay then back the shuttle off using RCS the module spins, making docking to it to shunt it around impossible. Any practical tips, suggestions or pointing out of me being stupid would be appreciated.

I really like KIOS and the station parts. The whole thing looks awesome and work super-well. Thanks, guys :D

I have a problem. I am trying to fly a Habitat to orbit and dock it to my station. I have 2 issues:

Firstly I'm using MechJeb 2.1.1 and the orbiter just reticle chases when it gets close to the m/s target. It's MechJeb's fault as my other craft do it a bit but I think the off-centre OMS thrust aggravates it BUT I'm aware it's been said multiple times that MechJeb compatibility is not guaranteed etc. Does anyone have a better suggestion for rendezvous and docking? Does ORDA work any better, for example? Any tips/tutorials on manually approaching the station from a half-decent rendezvous point? MechJeb will get me in the right ballpark but it can't do the fine work.

P.S. If you want to just bash me for not being hardcore and doing it all by hand please don't waste the skin on your fingertips, I play the game my way, you play it your way, we can co-exist and be happy.

Secondly, getting modules out of the payload bay and docking them to the station. How? I know the SST is designed for shunting and parking modules. That's grand. The problem I have is that if I release the docking port holding the module inside the cargo bay it gives the modules all sorts of momentum in silly directions. If I free-float a module in the bay then back the shuttle off using RCS the module spins, making docking to it to shunt it around impossible. Any practical tips, suggestions or pointing out of me being stupid would be appreciated.

I really like KIOS and the station parts. The whole thing looks awesome and work super-well. Thanks, guys :D

Try using the rendezvous planner instead. You have to do the burns manually but you have better control over the navball chasing. For unloading modules try and get your shuttle to the same speed as your station (use your rcs), so your module shouldn't move as much and you can pick it up with your SST.

Edited by Lekke

Make sure you set the maneuver planner Tolerance to 1ms or higher I wouldnt go higher than 5 this will reduce the navball chasing I am using MJ dev version 192 and dont really have a problem it does a beautiful job of getting into orbit and docking, landing is a different story but I have that worked out now as well. MJ will get me to 300km orbit it uses the last of the ET to circulate and finishes the job on the OMS engine leaving enough fuel to de-orbit.

Make sure you set the maneuver planner Tolerance to 1ms or higher I wouldnt go higher than 5 this will reduce the navball chasing I am using MJ dev version 192 and dont really have a problem it does a beautiful job of getting into orbit and docking, landing is a different story but I have that worked out now as well. MJ will get me to 300km orbit it uses the last of the ET to circulate and finishes the job on the OMS engine leaving enough fuel to de-orbit.

I do the descent burn manualy but once in the atmosphere you can use spaceplane guidance. It works great for lining up with the runway. If you change the angle it might be able to land although haven't tried that out.

1- On your first issue, I can't reproduce it. My KSO works perfectly fine with MechJeb2's Rendezvous Autopilot. I just leave it alone and let it do its thing. It even gets me as close at 45m.

My Setup:

--Turn OFF all reaction wheels on your payload.

--Use the KSO Avionics plus the KSO Hinged Radome. They both have torque on them and improve the KSO's overall torque. This will help MJ.

--You must do the staging manually as well as engine switching (although advanced users are using certain mods that allow them to program engine shutdown/start procedures.

--Before hitting MJ Rendezvous Autopilot, make sure SSMEs are shut down, OMS are turned on and their Pitch Trim is 14, Speed 100.

--There's at least two or more KSO users who can give you more help in the thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-0-23-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-1-1/page562

I've also been posting there.

If you're doing the above already, then odds are you're not being patient and letting it do its thing?

2- I know the issue. Have you tried putting up an Observation Module and did you have a similar problem of it spinning in place? Normally I translate ventrally (downward) with the KSO just enough so the part floats above the vertical fins. I then come in with the SST and scoop it up.

--The Habitat gave me the same problem you are having in regards to getting it maneuvered into place with the SST. Going to be looking into it tonight.

Edited by helldiver

I should add. An old trick to stop unwanted rotations.... Toggling between time warp and back will kill all rotations. Really the only way unless you make specific note of which decouplers and docking nodes have little or no ejection force. Because Rotation would only occur after the object collides with something(if it's balanced), typically something inside the cargo bay (or it was already intersecting the collision volume of something else you had in there). I believe all the KSO docking nodes have a decent amount of ejection force... Attraction force too it seems (or I haven't been paying close enough attention... but might explain the excessive "bouncing"). So the only way to deal with that for cargo release that you want to remain static to a target (as in, a pod needing positioning/transfer) is to stop it with a robotic arm or let it bounce around the cargo bay a little to stop itself. Other then that, You're going to be chasing that thing down with whatever Tug you have on hand.

... Unless there was a very flat Cargo Decoupler that had very low/no ejection force? (A modified docking node maybe?) Or make a small robotic arm that can fit in there. There are a couple of mods that are customization. I've been tempted but haven't bothered yet.

Edited by SaSquatch

Firstly I'm using MechJeb 2.1.1 and the orbiter just reticle chases when it gets close to the m/s target. It's MechJeb's fault as my other craft do it a bit but <snip!>

It's stock KSP's fault because MJ2 just points where KSP tells it the maneuver node is.

I must have missed that bit of news.... there's going to be an intermediate release before 0.24???

Yes they are showcasing it on KSPTV right now. It's the NASA asteriod pack, looks great.

Edited by Lekke

Yes they are showcasing it on KSPTV right now. It's the NASA asteriod pack, looks great.

Bleah, I asked Shimmy if they fixed them (dancing nodes) and he said he doesn't think so.... :(

But then, if it's just a parts pack and no code update that's to be expected. Oh well.

I decided to try and balance the RCS thrust on the KSO, and my results vary.

Forwards

Backwards (thruster was put into the bottom of the nose if you can't tell)

Down (thruster in cargo bay)

Up(already seems balanced, but one of my thrusters for forward is trying to help)

side to side?

The culprit?

I tried, but I just can't balance side to side without throwing off one of the other translations. Those rear angled thrusters are a source of the problem. The mod I'm using is RCS build aid.

Yeah yeah, I know, no one has been complaining about the thrusters, so I have no doubt this will be put on the back burner of the back burner, but I felt I should voice my concern with the thrusters.

MJ2 + RCS Balancing = happiness

Bleah, I asked Shimmy if they fixed them (dancing nodes) and he said he doesn't think so.... :(

But then, if it's just a parts pack and no code update that's to be expected. Oh well.

Check out the Dev interview on Scott Manley's channel. They talk more in depth about the maneuver nodes. I watched it during the live stream so can't recall what they said about it.

I know they said something about precision being improved. But anyway it's only a minor inconvenience for me personaly, I use mechjeb to set up the nodes, I burn manualy.

Edited by Lekke

Check out the Dev interview on Scott Manley's channel. They talk more in depth about the maneuver nodes. I watched it during the live stream so can't recall what they said about it.

I know they said something about precision being improved. But anyway it's only a minor inconvenience for me personaly, I use mechjeb to set up the nodes, I burn manualy.

Well, to be fair it sounded like there was some uncertainty in his mind as to what maneuver node bug I was talking about.

I guess we'll just have to see. *Fingers crossed*

And I guess this is getting a little off-topic and not KSO specific so ima sign off on this conversation.

just.... *fingers crossed*

RCS balancer doesn't work for me. Screenshot how you do it.

Also, when you translate left or right, apparently the shuttle translates slightly down. RCS Build Aid shows that, too, but I forgot to get a screenie of that.

You click it in the main MJ2 menu and then click on the toggle box. When it's on, the RCS Balancer menu item will be green.

Do you really need a screenshot for that? Next time I'm running KSP (not until later this evening) I'll get a shot of it and PM you with it, but it seems kinda superfluous...

I'm editing the config file so this thing can work better with rss, but when I rescale the cockpit it seems to go back to its default size when I load it from a save. I assume this has something to do with the iva. Any way to ensure it stays the right size?

1- On your first issue, I can't reproduce it. My KSO works perfectly fine with MechJeb2's Rendezvous Autopilot. I just leave it alone and let it do its thing. It even gets me as close at 45m.

My Setup:

--Turn OFF all reaction wheels on your payload.

--Use the KSO Avionics plus the KSO Hinged Radome. They both have torque on them and improve the KSO's overall torque. This will help MJ.

--You must do the staging manually as well as engine switching (although advanced users are using certain mods that allow them to program engine shutdown/start procedures.

--Before hitting MJ Rendezvous Autopilot, make sure SSMEs are shut down, OMS are turned on and their Pitch Trim is 14, Speed 100.

Okay. I should note that I don't use the avionics pack and that is likely significant. "Why?" You ask? I implemented a launch escape system that jettisons the crew compartment in an emergency (uses realchutes, perfectons and a modmanager file to add a decoupler to the bottom node) and the parachute is stowed in the nose. I mitigated this tonight in a test flight by adding a second reaction wheel (via modmanager) to the radome that matches the one in the avionics and compensates for the lack of avionics package. It works marginally better but it's still chasing as it comes down to within 0.5m/s (the tolerance I have set in MJ).

My rendezvous flight plan is thus:

-- Ascent guidance to 125km apoapsis heads down, let it get out of the atmosphere.

-- Arm RCS and let it steer to the circularisation node (Auto-Warp OFF to give me time)

-- Roll to heads-up and dump the ET

-- Disarm the SSMEs (AG 5)

-- Arm the OMS engines (AG 6) (they are set at whatever trim and speed they are by default)

-- Disarm the flight surfaces (I hate them flapping about in orbit)

-- Let MJ circularise the orbit using the OMS engines

- this works great until it gets to about 1.5m/s on the node and then it reticle chases badly and never really resolves to less than 0.6-1.0m/s so I kill it.

-- Open the bay doors

-- Engage the Rendezous Autopilot and set the approach distance to 150m

- The RDZ AP will go through the phasing and transfer orbits but, again, at around 1.5m/s stuff spins out of control wildly.

- The real problem is the rendezvous approach. The fine adjustments here that are required to match speed and station keeping just don't work because it's wandering about so much.

That's pretty-much where I got to. I manually fine-tuned the station approach with the RCS and ran out of Monopropellant (because reticle chasing was pissing it off all over the place). I am pretty patient with it, but I also know when it's really off on a doozy and not coming back ;)

--There's at least two or more KSO users who can give you more help in the thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-0-23-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-1-1/page562

I've also been posting there.

Okay, I'll have a read of that too, as well as grabbing the latest dev of MJ.

If you're doing the above already, then odds are you're not being patient and letting it do its thing?

I think giving it 120 secs to sort itself out is patient? As I said above it consumed a lot of Mono propellant and wasn't winning the fight with the node. I think it's more likely the lack of torque you mentioned from not using the avionics? :)

2- I know the issue. Have you tried putting up an Observation Module and did you have a similar problem of it spinning in place? Normally I translate ventrally (downward) with the KSO just enough so the part floats above the vertical fins. I then come in with the SST and scoop it up.

No. The issue is this. I used 2 docking ports (one in the bay and one on the module) mated together to hold the Habitat module in the bay. Because facing docking ports are forced apart on undocking, the ports threw the module backwards down the payload bay and it bounced as I did the ventral translation, thus it came out almost at 45-degrees. Not at all the fault of KSO, it's just the way docking ports work in KSP. It just makes these ops a bit tricky!

--The Habitat gave me the same problem you are having in regards to getting it maneuvered into place with the SST. Going to be looking into it tonight.

I never got that far :)

Watch this space. I am going to try something with Infernal Robotics that might make for a good alternative and work well with the SST.

Okay. I should note that I don't use the avionics pack and that is likely significant. "Why?" .

Well I can't really help much on custom installations plus MechJeb. It has its own thread. As you can see we'd be here until the cows come home discussing setups and such with each persons KSP plus Mod setup and all the different variables and bugs that affect the KSO.

I don't have anything custom besides KSO 2.06 plus MechJeb2. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking. But MJ gets me to within 45m every time using the Rendezvous AP. That's all I need. Might not be 0.0m/s (usually leaves me at 1-2.0 m/s. Also, I don't turn on RCS at all. Make sure the KSO RCS is off throughout the whole thing. I don't have RCS or SAS on when MJ does the Rendezvous AP.

2.07 will include fixes to the Hab and all modules that should fix the issue of maneuvering it with the SST. As well as numerous other updates.

Regarding KSO translation

-The KSO RCS translation has been working perfectly for me since version 1.09 (since January). You guys get the exact same one Nazari and I are using. Neither of us is touching the KSO short of compatibility with KSP v0.24.

Edited by helldiver

-The KSO RCS translation has been working perfectly for me since version 1.09 (since January). You guys get the exact same one Nazari and I are using. Neither of us is touching the KSO short of compatibility with KSP v0.24.

Do you mean the NASA ARM pack? If so that is v0.23.5, v0.24 is a bit further down the line.

This thread needs more user-based screenshots. Heres my poor attempt at doing so.

Part mods used: Trusses from Talisar's Spherical Tanks, trusses from Jafer's THSS, KSO v2.6/2.5/1.7, and Sumghai's Fustek and SDHI parts (Oops! I forgot to add KAS and the Cacteye Telescope, but those are on a different save [Oh, and I forgot zzz's spherical tanks]).

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by sharpspoonful
I'm a deeerp

This thread needs more user-based screenshots. Heres my poor attempt at doing so.

Part mods used: Trusses from Talisar's Spherical Tanks, trusses from Jafer's THSS, KSO v2.6/2.5/1.7, and Sumghai's Fustek and SDHI parts (Oops! I forgot to add KAS and the Cacteye Telescope, but those are on a different save [Oh, and I forgot zzz's spherical tanks]).

http://imgur.com/a/zYKB3

Did you retexture the tank's ? haven't seen them.

No, those are zzz's spherical tanks.

Lovely shots and station man!

Mine's coming along pretty nicely, just been so busy testing new values and such that haven't had a chance to get it further than the Habs.

I'm really loving the alternate uses for the KSO you guys are coming up with. Even if it isn't your prime mover :D

In fact I don't refuel my station with the KSO and instead made a stock fuel spacecraft which I take up with the Kerbal X. Dock with the KSS (Kerbin Space Station), and then destroy it on re-entry (it's unmanned).

Lovely shots and station man!

Mine's coming along pretty nicely, just been so busy testing new values and such that haven't had a chance to get it further than the Habs.

I'm really loving the alternate uses for the KSO you guys are coming up with. Even if it isn't your prime mover :D

In fact I don't refuel my station with the KSO and instead made a stock fuel spacecraft which I take up with the Kerbal X. Dock with the KSS (Kerbin Space Station), and then destroy it on re-entry (it's unmanned).

Thank you, helldiver! I use the KSO as my primary resupply and crew rotation vehicle. I've landed my orbiter for the first time (in one piece and on the runway, that is) today, which was more rewarding than docking ever was.

I'm waiting for the 2.5 Orbiter to be honest. I love your parts, but I have to keep the part count down, as my Mac is running above 80C when I try to build anything above 250 parts. So I've had to be frugal and build to function over aesthetics.

EDIT: I also added supplies to the power modules for TAC-LS, a water purifier to the hydroponics lab and an air scrubber to the lab. I'd suggest adding an utilities module to the parts that would regulate power, LSS, and water purification. I also need to find a way of adding a Waste recycler, but thats for another thread.

Edited by sharpspoonful

This is the last of my Phase I missions!

The 36th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 32nd Flight of the Tenacious! STS 136's objectives are to deploy the KSO Duna Scout Base Communications Tower Module, return to the KSC Runway, and land the DSB on Duna! The Duna Scout Base houses two kerbals, two greenhouses, a communications tower, and a rover.

The construction and deployment missions run STS 131 through STS 136.

Most of the footage is shown in 8x speed for quick viewing.

STS 137 will deploy the Ore Discovery Sat Core! We're Moving to Laythe!