[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

So.. KSOS is discontinued and Now being abandoned?

No, the mod will continue to receive relevancy updates for future versions of KSP. KSOS will not be expanded upon except by the community until further notice because Helldiver and myself are working on a standalone game. Please read these posts for more info:

Thread Update (0.25 support)

Blog Update (looking to the future)

Edited by OrbitusII

KSOS-11 is another successful mission! Freedom delivers Moonlab to the space station as the munar exploration program gets into full swing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
No, the mod will continue to receive relevancy updates for future versions of KSP. KSOS will not be expanded upon except by the community until further notice because Helldiver and myself are working on a standalone game. Please read these posts for more info:

Speaking of which, here's a sneak peak at what I'm working on. Also, I have to package up the Multipurpose Colony Module but once I do it'll be ready for some beta testing.

jUqNdaE.jpg

KSOS-11 is another successful mission! Freedom delivers Moonlab to the space station as the munar exploration program gets into full swing.

http://imgur.com/a/YBtdu

Speaking of which, here's a sneak peak at what I'm working on. Also, I have to package up the Multipurpose Colony Module but once I do it'll be ready for some beta testing.

http://i.imgur.com/jUqNdaE.jpg

Looks like you got the reentry down now, also that part looks really good. I really need to learn blender or some other modeling program, as I have ideas for parts... but no skills with which to make them.

http://imgur.com/a/YBtdu

http://i.imgur.com/jUqNdaE.jpg

Awesome! I'll try to get some work in on my 747-like plane alongside some game coding since I gained two free hours from a class that ended on Friday and I want to help jumpstart these community expansions!

Looks like you got the reentry down now, also that part looks really good. I really need to learn blender or some other modeling program, as I have ideas for parts... but no skills with which to make them.

Definitely take a look at Blender, it's got tons of tutorials that help deal with the crazy UI. Depending on what you plan on doing with parts and such I can also recommend Sketchup, although it's better if you plan on building airports for use with Kerbal Konstructs (another thing I should work on is my company's HQ/airport, as a matter of fact).

Need more info. Is this the included craft file? What mods are you running? What version of KSP? 32-bit, 64-bit?

It is the craft file included in the download. I have only added cargo in the cargo bay. Mods I have installed that could effect overheating are Deadly Re-entry and NEAR. Im using Linux 64-bit. I try adding max heat in the external fuel tank's cfg file.

You should put this on the OP, I feel bad you have to keep saying it lol.

Maybe its simple the Sepatrons are pointing at the ET?

That's likely the case, I've had this issue with non-KSO stuff many times.

You should put this on the OP, I feel bad you have to keep saying it lol.

Yep, I'll talk to Helldiver on Wednesday (since that's the day I get back from fall break) and get him to put that PSA in the OP.

How I should re-enter these shuttles with Deadly Re-entry and NEAR? They always end up overheating and spinning out of control.

The shuttles, by default do not support either DRE or NEAR. That beaing said, I believe there is a DRE config someone put together in this topic. I do not know if anyone did something for NEAR.

The shuttles, by default do not support either DRE or NEAR. That beaing said, I believe there is a DRE config someone put together in this topic. I do not know if anyone did something for NEAR.

There is a DRE config in the FX folder so DRE is supported, on the other hand FAR and NEAR are not. use freeman's Space plane MM patch in this thread somewhere, and B9 air brakes, all your over heating problems will be solved.

There is a DRE config in the FX folder so DRE is supported, on the other hand FAR and NEAR are not. use freeman's Space plane MM patch in this thread somewhere, and B9 air brakes, all your over heating problems will be solved.

The DRE config included is rudimentary at best.

Additionally I quote the 'Known Bugs' section of the OP:

The KSO Deadly Re-entry, or Ferram Aerospace. Compatibility with these mods was never intended. Users have reported that the KSO works alright with them but you may experience over-powered flight controls, parts breaking off during re-entry, or heavy-non responsive flight characteristics. Configurations are an ongoing process. Version 2.04 provides improved MechJeb and FAR support but it is still rudimentary. Please post on those mods threads for instructions on how to use those mods with the KSO.

The DRE config included is rudimentary at best.

Additionally I quote the 'Known Bugs' section of the OP:

This is a DRE cfg patch for the smaller KSO shuttle. Just drop it in anywhere in the GameData folder (preferably a tweaks folder that you maintain for Module Manager patches). It has been tested for stock sized Kerbin and should work with Real Solar System as well. (reentry speeds are faster)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcz95jl7jp450h5/dre_KSO.SW.cfg?dl=1

This one is for the KSO25. It's not a proper patch and you need to replace the existing KSO25 config file. (If I remember correctly it's in the GameData/KSO/FX folder....)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j4r99yb1bjp8wz/kso25_dre.cfg?dl=1

The KSO25 configs are carefully crafted to apply different settings depending on if you play stock Kerbin or Real Solar System. If you use it with Real Solar System, the reflection ratings are increased substantially and a special massless resource is introduced that represents the heat shield tile's capacity to soak up heat. (when HeatCapacity in a part is depleted it can overheat)

Been using this fantastic addon since the EWBCL was released, and its seen a lot of work in my saves. But I realised something today when I'd messed up my staging and crashed back to the surface.

The EWBCL fuselage is nearly indestructible. I thought back to other crashes, and could only remember one where i lost crew. That one had been nose first, almost vertical into the ground.

So I started dropping parts individually from 7500m on a clean 0.25 install to see what happened. Super 25 EFT bounced off the ground at over 100m/s. Original KSO cargo bay bounced too. EWBCL fuselage just kinda landed and rolled once. EWBCL boosters, same result. I even went back to the EWBCL fuselage cfg and changed its crash tolerance to 1m/s - made no difference. I'm going to work through the parts list one by one just to satisfy my curiosity, but figured I'd throw this out here to see if anyone else has noticed this.

For the record, debug window on my tests wasn't showing any errors. This in on 32bit.

I'd never seen it before 0.25, but tbh, I can't really remember crashing and losing crew before then anyway... :confused:

Edited by Fly Angry
fail at typing

I've noticed 2 things:

- In the KerbalLab there is a camera but if i do duble click on it it doesn't change the visual as the GreenLab.

- Has the EWBCL main fuelsage a power generator? If yes is missing from description; if not there is something that recharge batteries.

Space plane patch: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68429?p=1308280&viewfull=1#post1308280

This is a DRE cfg patch for the smaller KSO shuttle. Just drop it in anywhere in the GameData folder (preferably a tweaks folder that you maintain for Module Manager patches). It has been tested for stock sized Kerbin and should work with Real Solar System as well. (reentry speeds are faster)

Thanks for that! The disintegrating nosecone during reentry had me bit worried. The rest of the shuttle is surprisingly tough though.

Edited by Ph34rb0t

I've noticed 2 things:

- In the KerbalLab there is a camera but if i do duble click on it it doesn't change the visual as the GreenLab.

- Has the EWBCL main fuelsage a power generator? If yes is missing from description; if not there is something that recharge batteries.

Regarding the S25 generator, it's in the nose cone part.

EDIT: Regarding the Kerbalab camera, I just checked it out and it appears that clicking on the lense doesn't work, but clicking anywhere else on the camera (such as the frame or microphone) or even on the wall next to it activates the camera.

Edited by qnistNAMEERF

This one is for the KSO25. It's not a proper patch and you need to replace the existing KSO25 config file. (If I remember correctly it's in the GameData/KSO/FX folder....)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j4r99yb1bjp8wz/kso25_dre.cfg?dl=1

The KSO25 configs are carefully crafted to apply different settings depending on if you play stock Kerbin or Real Solar System. If you use it with Real Solar System, the reflection ratings are increased substantially and a special massless resource is introduced that represents the heat shield tile's capacity to soak up heat. (when HeatCapacity in a part is depleted it can overheat)

Would it be alright with you if these patches are rolled into KSOS? Granted whether the majority of FAR, DRE, etc users believe these to be the best setup to support these mods. I have never really heard any great feedback on any of the FAR configs floating around here either. So, I pose this question to everyone here: if you use FAR/DRE/NEAR/etc what patches do you use to get KSOS to play nice with them? If everyone can come to a consensus on what they believe is ideal, I can add a selection to the installer that will include these patches.

I'm a NEAR/B9/DRE/KSOS user (I love them all!!) and recently I've tried a reentry with a KSO Standard with the 2 .cfg files posted in the previous page (not very sure if they are correctly installed) No problems at all surfing on the upper atmosphere but a cdt entering in the lower atmosphere. I've totally lost control of the shuttle, and then cdt... I was flying 500 m/s at 3000m over the desert... Maybe my error or something related to NEAR. No problems during the heating phase. Reached quite 1000 degrees at maximum drag. I've used Mechjeb's Smart ASS to surf at 45°. I can't produce a log because KSP just died with no crash reort folder.

With time I also want to test a complete landing with both shuttles and my gigantic B9 SSTO.

I use KSP 32bit forced on opengl ATM basic win 8 64bit a lot of other mods

Would it be alright with you if these patches are rolled into KSOS? Granted whether the majority of FAR, DRE, etc users believe these to be the best setup to support these mods. I have never really heard any great feedback on any of the FAR configs floating around here either. So, I pose this question to everyone here: if you use FAR/DRE/NEAR/etc what patches do you use to get KSOS to play nice with them? If everyone can come to a consensus on what they believe is ideal, I can add a selection to the installer that will include these patches.

I don't mind.

One caveat on the DRE configs I posted: They work for me.

I've posted them here (and elsewhere) previously and never get any usable feedback other than that indicating that the KSO25 wasn't installed correctly (it doesn't patch over the existing KSO25 config like the KSO one patches its counterpart so it can't 'go anywhere you want in GameData' and has to overwrite the one that comes with KSO)

Actually the KSO one does get feedback about positive experiences from time to time but KSO25 may as well have a user base of one.

Edited by Starwaster