[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

-Snip-

Version 2.0 will include all fixes to the KSOS up to this point plus all of this current content. We will do a RasterProp Monitor (HUD and ADI), FAR, and MechJab study once 2.0 is out.

-Snip-

Thanks for the update! :D

Nah, too describtive. It should not sound like something in the KSP universe and it should sound a bit like uranium, just like Plutonium -> Blutonium. Of course, why should the Kerbals even need a uranium replacement? They've already got Explodium, Blutonium, Oxium, Propellium, Nitronite (monoprop) and, on the old resource flowchart, Hexage (a part of nuclear fuel) and Zeonium for ion engines. I think I'll start calling XenonGas Zeonium instead.

I wanted something kerbalish sounding to power some reactors and a orion propulsion module im working on.im thinking now ill go for a blutonium/explodium combo for producing the propulsionpayloads.

That's a fallacy. Maybe on the first couple of flights, but both countries soon learned that pencils that broke create debris that can get into corners that you don't want stuff to get lodged in. So they all switched to pressurized space pens.

Its a beautiful IVA, the only problem is that everything in it appears to be under the influence of gravity.

not just the pencils and the containers but the liquids in the test tubes too. It would be fine as part of a ground base, but its just not a realistic zero-g lab

Did you not read what I said one page over?

It's that way to read as a lab from taking just one look.

I don't have the time or enthusiasm to model a 1:1 Space lab when KSP doesn't even declare what is or isn't gravity. There is no way to declare an IVA as on the ground or not. Hence, we can't model floating pencils and Kerbals without them looking awkward when you're sitting on the ground.

Second, an actual Space Lab doesn't look like a laboratory at all. Have you seen one?

Does this look like a Laboratory to you? Would this be interesting in a video game about fantasy green men in a fantasy universe?

lab_fwd_description_s405.jpg

The other method was to do something like this;

interior-view-of-the-destiny-laboratory-on-the-international-space-station-iss-during-the-expedition-7-mission-nasa.jpg

However I don't have the time, motivation, or willingness to spend the next three months on something like that which two people will be able to use in KSP.

Third, what's to say that the lab isn't in space and that the tubs and pencils aren't all strapped down with Velcro?

In the end the labs you see are a concession, in other words 50% Space-like and 50% Ground laboratory.

Edited by helldiver

I don't have the time or enthusiasm to model a 1:1 Space lab when KSP doesn't even declare what is or isn't gravity. There is no way to declare an IVA as on the ground or not. Hence, we can't model floating pencils and Kerbals without them looking awkward when you're sitting on the ground.

Second, an actual Space Lab doesn't look like a laboratory at all. Have you seen one?

Does this look like a Laboratory to you? Would this be interesting in a video game about fantasy green men in a fantasy universe?

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/space/lab_fwd_description_s405.jpg

http://10muw51irwqiw6piy1mf00k144r.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2012/11/interior-view-of-the-destiny-laboratory-on-the-international-space-station-iss-during-the-expedition-7-mission-nasa.jpg

However I don't have the time, motivation, or willingness to spend the next three months on something like that which two people will be able to use in KSP.

Third, what's to say that the lab isn't in space and that the tubs and pencils aren't all strapped down with Velcro?

In the end the labs you see are a concession, in other words 50% Space-like and 50% Ground laboratory.

to be honest most space labs look like they're on the ground until you see someone float by.

Well, at least your estimate of how many of us will be able to run KSP with your mod installed after this update is realistic. ;)

I say it looks great to me. If you don't want to use the velcro excuse, then just say everything is magnetic. I'm more interested in the laptop than the gravity-obsessed props anyway.

You should add some animated objects in the lab. Nothing crazy but a few buttons flashing or the jar in the case rotating like its in a microwave. Just a few small things to give it some life.

You mean like the corned beef sandwich in your Gemini?

About the pens, pencils, liquids, containers and such.....

Kravity.

Seriously, folks need to take off the realism spectacles and put on the fun shades. KSP is a very fun toy, a whimsical experience. Not to be taken with a dash of salt but rather a sprinkle of humor.

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/space/lab_fwd_description_s405.jpg

http://10muw51irwqiw6piy1mf00k144r.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2012/11/interior-view-of-the-destiny-laboratory-on-the-international-space-station-iss-during-the-expedition-7-mission-nasa.jpg

Gravity...no gravity...so what? The IVA looks awesome! And your efforts are greatly appreciated across all of Kerbaldom.

Edited by DoctorFoo
Addendum

Guys, just let Helldiver do what he wants to do. It's his mod; he puts his time and sweat into it, don't criticize him for his lack of realism. I admit that I am guilty of this too, let's just get along; it's not that hard.

In the interest of keeping the thread on topic, I would rather keep discussions relevant to the current version, config fixes for mod compatibility (such as FAR, DRE, etcetera), issues relevant to the current distribution (problems with the plugins the KSO uses) and so on. How you're using the KSO is very important to me as well, as that is the information I need to make improvements and fixes. An example of that is the improved cargo bay and the nosecone that can be opened. Which were additions made after I saw how players are using the KSO. The KSO Super 25 which will be made eventually is also along the same lines to answer the request for a larger KSO.

It's becoming hard enough for me to track and report to Nazari legitimate bugs with our build as opposed to player induced bugs do to having customizations or mods we didn't intend. And then you have me also posting updates on the various phases and plans and it'll become a mess.

Please take discussions on personalizing your installation of the KSO to private chat.

We however, welcome discussion on custom configurations (meaning editing CFG files) that:

-Improve the functionality of the current version of the KSOS to make it more user friendly.

-Fix bugs.

-Improve compatibility with other mods such as FAR, DRE, MechJeb etcetera.

As well as discussions such as:

-How you're using the shuttle?

-What things you'd like to see that fit the style, theme, and scope of the KSOS?

Discussions asking how to change its size, rescaling it, cutting pieces off, moving or removing internals, are outside the scope of this thread. That goes for other mods as well (such as rescaling a part to fit the KSO). Either ask in that mod's thread or I believe there is a mod development sub-forum which would probably be a lot more suitable.

And again thank you guys so much for the enthusiasm and support and for understanding. Dying to get Phase II out of the way.

Hello Helldiver and all;

Wow, so much new stuff coming along, and it all looks great.

I just wanted to know (i have been away for a bit, and tried to look at all posts) how work for DRE, FAR and such was coming along, or is it done and did i miss it?????

many thanks for this great mod and all to come...

Guys, just let Helldiver do what he wants to do. It's his mod; he puts his time and sweat into it, don't criticize him for his lack of realism. I admit that I am guilty of this too, let's just get along; it's not that hard.

If all feedback has to be positive then it stops being feedback.

No, Squad shouldn't hire him, remember when they hired Bac9? Now B9 practically abandoned by him.

Squad- hire this man after he finishes this mod. AND GIVE HIM ENOUGH FREE TIME TO KEEP IT GOING.