[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Question then. If we were to then get the mass and quantity data from the cgf file and then put them into the persistence file, would this cure the bug? Its a big, pointless act, but makes me curious as to how KSP operates

Nazari would have more information.

He tried that last night, but he still had the bug. His bug manifested differently; he couldn't access his space station and he saw it repeating itself.

Similar to a poster earlier who had the bug when he upgraded to 2.05. For me, I had severe frame rate drop when I got near my SST in orbit.

Feel free to experiment and tell us what you discover :D

I just noticed when I installed v2.06 and loaded up one of my crafts in the VAB some of the parts didn't have the new values to them. For example the KSO auxiliary fuel supply still had its old values.

Edited by Lekke

Cause

-Mass and Quantity information is saved in your Persistence File. If this information is changed in the Parts configurations, KSP goes crazy and corrupts the persistence file.

-Other data such as engine efficiency, node locations, 3D Geometry, collider information, Raster Prop Monitor edits do not cause this bug.

Humble Request

-Please as a community ask Squad to not save part data in the persistence file or to use a different persistence file saving scheme to prevent this issue. Alternatively, the engine should check all parts and update persistence files to match new part data.

Do note that a number of mods depend on being able to change this information such that the mass and/or resource quantities in a part on a craft differ from that in the config (e.g. GoodspeedTweakScale, ModularFuels, the "procedural" parts, etc). Making the game not go crazy is definitely desirable, but having it alter the mass or quantity of in-flight parts to something other than what's saved in the persistence file would be disastrous for those mods which deliberately change these numbers, and depend on their persistence in the changed state.

I just noticed when I installed v2.06 and loaded up one of my crafts in the VAB some of the parts didn't have the new values to them. For example the KSO auxiliary fuel supply still had its old values.

tweakable values are saved in the craft files. It should have updated values when you grab a part from the menu.

Attention: helldiver, Nazari, & MechJeb/Klockheed Martian: Small Parts fans...

Though I appreciate "...KSO does not natively support MechJeb, Deadly Re-entry, or Ferram Aerospace. Compatibility with these mods was never intended", I think I found both an explanation AND a solution for the OA-850 Liquid Fuel Boosters failure to auto-stage when using MechJeb or dtobi's "Fuel Sensor and Action Group Trigger".

Apparently, both addons monitor the amount of LiquidFuel in a tank (btw, Oxidizer does NOT appear to be monitored) and will NOT auto-stage until that resource is COMPLETELY exhausted. After numerous test flights I discovered even as little as 0.02 LiquidFuel would be enough to prevent auto-staging:

08RaG70.jpg

The solution? Simple enough. Short of fine-tuning the amount of LiquidFuel in the OA-850s to be *precisely* spent on engine burnout (an endeavor far too painstaking for me to even imagine), just add an FTX-2 External Fuel Duct from the OA-850s to the Thrustmax External Fuel Tank:

6dRLP0S.jpg

You may (should) see the OA-850s stage at a lower altitude than before (around 10km, down from ~15km for me), however you shouldn't notice any significant loss in ÃŽâ€v.

Hope that's helpful, and thanks again to helldiver and Nazari for this wonderful addition to KSP! :)

Well here's something. Landing the KSO from an inclined orbit with Deadly Reentry and Ferram Aerospace. It is very long but does walk through what I do.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/heyO46gtTz4

This is with the v2.05 update. The EDO pallet analog is of my own build and consists of a Fuel Cell and a TAC life support container, along with some Interstellar Radiators inside a 6S service compartment to reduce drag (drag is a tricky thing in the KSO cargo bay but items on a stack and not radially attached tend to do better).

When you guys made the FPV (velocity Vector) functional on the HUD, it suddenly made all IVA landings very possible and immensely fun.

Though, now I'm going to be "that guy" and be nitpicky/needy while I type out my...

HUD Wishlist

Boresight/Waterline symbol - Where the aircrafts' nose is pointing (fixed point. Sometimes indicated as a O, +, V, -v-, -vv-, or -^^- symbol)

Altitude and Airspeed Numbers inside of their respective indicator Boxes - I honestly didn't even notice they moved until I was editing this landing video.These numbers are already on the Hud but off to the side.

Note: I know the velocity indicator (along with the Pitch Ladder) aren't fully representative as a true FPV (Flight Path Vector) but it's far better then going without landing aids completely.

Would like but not hopeful... I don't see these as being practical to work on or necessarily feasible with my assumption of current limitations.

Energy Cue - usually next to the FPV to indicate acceleration or deceleration

Slip Indicator - The Arc typically above the Pitch Ladder (though sometimes below depending on Settings and specific aircraft) to indicate the degree of roll.

Airspeed and Altitude indicator bars not exponentially labeled but Linear instead.

Though not always, sometimes G-load is also indicated.

And, of course, the Pitch Ladder actually sitting on the Horizon.

HUD%20view%20of%20final%20approach%20Kennedy%20Spa  ce%20Center.jpg

The Shuttles' Hud prior to Declutter mode. Note the Pitch Ladder, FPV (-0- symbol), BoreSight Marker (+ sign), big Airspeed numbers on the left with Altitude on the right.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/7/7/0/1465077.jpg 1465077.jpg

Another Aircrafts' Hud. Slip Indicator is at the top of the display above the Heading("H 283" since the heading is there in a couple different places). Borsight is center behind the FPV as an inverted W. The Airspeed and Altitude numbers being repeated inside of their respected boxes along with their ladders.

hudf16.jpg

Military Aircraft (F16 I think) with the Heading Center (the "027") with minimal Pitch Ladder. G-Load indicator above the Airspeed Ladder (the "1.0") and other information below and dimmed ("T 76%" is probably throttle position).

Edited by SaSquatch
Video has music now.

One of these days I'll figure out how to touch down at a sane speed like that. And not miss the runway.

I feel your pain, it took me numerous attempts. Took me about a day or 2 to get it right (never used SSTO's so this was pretty new to me :D)

I feel your pain, it took me numerous attempts. Took me about a day or 2 to get it right (never used SSTO's so this was pretty new to me :D)

I can do almost everything save for the actual landing. It's really tricky to keep the vertical speed under control with a keyboard.

I can do almost everything save for the actual landing. It's really tricky to keep the vertical speed under control with a keyboard.

Yeah that's the trick, takes practice to get the angle of descent correct. What I do is undershoot the KSC by about 30km. That way I can control that bit of final descent and line up with the runway.

The 34th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and 30th Flight of the Tenacious! STS 134's objective is to deploy the KSO Duna Scout Base Greenhouse Module #2 and return to the KSC Runway! The Duna Scout Base will house two kerbals, two greenhouses, a communications tower, and a rover.

The construction and deployment missions run STS 131 through STS 136.
(Using KSO v1.13)

Most of the footage is shown in 4x speed for quick viewing.

STS 135 will deploy the Duna Scout Base Rover!

Yup, Nazari fixed that a while back.

If you upgraded to 2.04 (phase II public) that should have fixed that. See changelog (it's under 2.01) :D

Odd, given my testing (including the screen capture in my previous post) was using a fresh install of the latest build (uploads-2014-03-KSOS_v2061.zip). Perhaps I didn't install correctly? (I deleted the older KSO directory in Gamedata and replaced it with the KSO folder from v2061.) Or maybe the older values are stuck in my persistent save? I'll try again (sans fuel lines) with a new sandbox save.

Thanks! :)

Odd, given my testing (including the screen capture in my previous post) was using a fresh install of the latest build (uploads-2014-03-KSOS_v2061.zip). Perhaps I didn't install correctly? (I deleted the older KSO directory in Gamedata and replaced it with the KSO folder from v2061.) Or maybe the older values are stuck in my persistent save? I'll try again (sans fuel lines) with a new sandbox save.

Thanks! :)

I just tested 2.061 and the SRBs have 0.44 Oxidizer left when the Liquid Fuel runs out to 0.00. That small amount is keeping MechJeb from staging the SRBs.

@Helldiver: The tweaks in v2.0.6 are most excellent! I was just able to to put the KSO with an EDO and tug (the heaviest Phase II item if I recall) in the payload bay into a 75km orbit with 362 m/s ÃŽâ€v remaining. Kudos!

Edit: I managed to then boost the KSO and payload up to an orbit of 250km. I had enough ÃŽâ€v remaining after unloading to bring periapsis down to 70km, RCS had to bring me down the rest of the way. Not bad at all! :D

Edited by Jason Cox

I have a small bug report.

Yeah, sometimes during launch, the LRB's fly away gracefully when I press spacebar. And sometimes they don't, which is odd. I don't want to add a whackjob of struts to it ;.;

Make sure that the fuel contained in the LRB's is balanced at either 0.8 solid fuel or 1.6 solid fuel. Or any other options. Also make sure that the separtrons in the LRB's are attached symmetrically/to your liking.

bah all i wanted was station parts and wind up spending a hour sorting the files to get them all lol. now did that and the montor part is messed up since dont know which ones where just for tug so delteed all lol.

One of these days I'll figure out how to touch down at a sane speed like that. And not miss the runway.

Honestly, the first time I tried landing the KSO, I fell like a rock. It just didn't want to do anything (1.13 and I probably loaded it wonky). I installed FAR and it just felt like an airplane. Not perfect sure(stuff in the cargo bay can still cause drag), but I've kept FAR installed ever since. And KSO has been a blast to fly.

ok i am not sure if this is too soon but i have a suggestion to make...

it is simple and would require adding only one thing...

i need a part that can be placed within the flush against the floor of the cargo bay and is capable of extending out so that it can push cargo out without the need for KAS or a arm to remove it

just a suggestion.