The Magic Space Bus

Camaron

This creation was an idea I had while thinking of how I might carry a great number of Kerbals without the "2-and-a-half-ton habitat-per-four-kerbals" deal.

It's all stock, and besides the intake spam, is entirely legit and viable. Gets into orbit with tons of its native fuel to spare. Includes a lab, front and rear large docks, and four expansion points on the sides using the double medium docks concept. Powered by four LV-N's after disposing of the jetcraft portions, and carries 14 Kerbals, "Bus-style". Fuel lines are configured in such a way that it will try to draw fuel from docked wings first.

Prior to launch, a stack of four kerbal habitats sit on top. After you have placed all of your kerbals, the first stage uses two medium SRB's to haul the unnecessary Habs away and you're free to launch.

If anyone's interested (and tells me how to do it) I will upload a craft file for it.

hibdFHm.jpg

Here is the craft file as requested!

http://www.2shared.com/file/VFzWeSwa/Space_Bus.html

If someone could tell me how to clean up that URL mess, I will.

When opening Space Bus, please keep in mind that it is not a refined design! Please consider it a Concept Vehicle at best.

Launch after the Habitats are ejected is typical of your average heavyweight Jet-powered craft. Make sure your Jets are up to at least 105 Kn thrust before unleashing the Red Struts. I personally recommend firing up the nuclear engines during acceleration in atmosphere, 10km alt and above.

I have considered the idea of different placement of the habitats to make populating those chairs much easier and speedier, but I'll be honest. I'm playing Everquest NEXT, So I might not be back on Kerbal for awhile to post any new ships or make revisions.

Edited by Camaron

I'm interested in the craft file.It looks awesome. :D

Thanks! But someone's gotta give me a hint as to how craft files are posted.

Looks like most of the Kerbals are clones except for the one with a smile

He's...."Special"... He only gets invited to these things cause his Dad knows a guy.

This just gave me the best idea ever.

I'd be thrilled to know what you have in mind! :D

Love it! :D

Looks like most of the Kerbals are clones except for the one with a smile

This is what it looks like:

:0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::):0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

3rd one from the front on the right side is the only one smiling. My guess is it's Jeb. No sane Kerbal would enjoy this ride :sticktongue:

Sorry about the delay!

Here is the craft file, which I will also edit into the main post.

http://www.2shared.com/file/VFzWeSwa/Space_Bus.html

If someone could tell me how to clean up that URL mess, I will.

When opening Space Bus, please keep in mind that it is not a refined design! Please consider it a Concept Vehicle at best.

Launch after the Habitats are ejected is typical of your average heavyweight Jet-powered craft. Make sure your Jets are up to at least 105 Kn thrust before unleashing the Red Struts. I personally reccommend firing up the nuclear engines during acceleration in atmosphere, 10km alt and above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.