[WIP] My Shuttle Orbiter-Tribute to Helldiver [ALSO QUESTIONS.] [Feedback, pwees!]

Naten

I very much love user Helldiver for making me squee. I saw that he released his orbiter, and then I screamed, then squee'd a lot.

My design for an orbiter out of stock parts (P-wings design kinda... blew up outta nowhere... :c), the Copernicus, kinda got abandoned after I decided to play Career a while ago. I've chosen to kinda resurrect it! :D

Helldiver's inspiring mod release was enough to get me back onto the idea for a mod, and Helldiver's Kerbin Shuttle was already enough to start the idea before it was even released! :D

So here's where I'll do dev stuff. Please come here sometimes and tell me your feedback. Fell free to squee. :wink:

So, I've developed a blunt fuselage, and shtuff. I'm working on a wing. Do I need to make a mirror of the wing for the opposite side, or will the heat tiles be on top of the wing on the other one, even if I'm using SPH symmetry?

Also, where do I get buttons and stuff for my IVA's? Is it in Proptools, and do I need a transform for each prop? I'm also wondering, can I make a pod produce resources, better yet, only if crewed? I can probably write a simple, simple simple simply simply simple little plugin... :P

--old archive section--

Well, thanks for looking here. I'm currently working on a wing, here's a model:

[brokentagfab]03a6dc515fd54e67a076562f861058d3[/sketchfab]

Sketchfab's material import is weird for me. Sorry about the odd lighting. :(

well, anyways, ALL FEEDBACK is appreciated, I just wanna know people care! :D

Cheers,

Naten :)

==----------DRAFT 1----------==

[brokentagfab]aeded57fb3f94ccd8c6933ec589a1e0a[/sketchfab]

The first model of the shuttle orbiter, Copernicus II, is looking good so far IMO. :D

How's it look?

MAJOR UPDATE!

New model! :D

b0pnRsw.png

Modeled a Dream Chaser that's personalized to fit my needs and to be a bit MOAR Kerbal! :D

(no "Kream Kaser" name suggestions :/)

Edited by Naten

At this stage in your development of the shuttle it is a little hard to provide feedback beyond saying that wing model looks good so far. You might want to smooth some of the angles on the protruding portion in order to make it a little more rounded in appearance. Do you by chance have a sketch or source of inspiration for what the overall shuttle will look like, and its launch system?

Thank you. :)

I've also finished a "base model" for the wing flaps and control surfaces, as well as a heat plating texture. The main body assembly is a WIP. Well, that's all for now, folk-ez. :D

Bai. :D

Most likely not, for that I'm sorry. I'm a minimalist and all... :)

It should probably hold a couple of tiny probes and a small 1.25m ship all at once, though! :D

I'm now working on an ugly, mostly untextured Unity import-to-KSP thingy right now.

Oh, yes, the main assembly will all be in one part, just add water wings! :D

It's a buran-style OMS? Cool, would add some variety.

Anyways I think you should reconsider the cockpit, unless you are making it unmanned (in which case: gogogo, this looks awesome!). If you keep it like this, you're gonna have a bad time trying to add windows and let it look well.

y3JXrwz.jpg

Comparison of the CCTVO and KSO for you. :D

The KSO's payload bay is deeper, mine is shorter and wider.

Anyways, for the windows, I'm going to make the front of the model more like some guy with a portruding monobrow, looking down, so the Kerbals can see and they won't be looking straight at the sky. :D

So, what do I need to do to make IVA's? I've tried before, but I mean making the view. Not Unity, really. Do I intrude the windows a bit, kinda "dig in" and "carve out" the inside via a door, and stuff, and save this AS the internal view? Also, how do I get the button props and stuff, is it defined by a transform? Thanks. :)

Nice to see the effect of the KSO release :) Do you expect to make your pieces compatible with it ?

Concerning the payload volume, i can suggest to compare with the modules from Fustek or the ones from the ISS model (that are a bit too big for the KSO). Like that it could look like the Spacelab in the Space Shuttle :)

Why don't you make it unmanned? For the sake of faster development and realism. Maybe you could make it lighter and have stronger reaction wheels.

Also, how's it going to be launched? Looking at its rear (:P), it looks like it could be launched like the Dream Chaser.

Oh, yes indeed, it actually will be launched like the Dream Chaser! Yes, its rear does look like a mounting point, how does that irritate you...? I don't se--Oh. OHH. Don't do that, there are DreamChaserlets watching. :P

Nice to see the effect of the KSO release :) Do you expect to make your pieces compatible with it ?

Concerning the payload volume, i can suggest to compare with the modules from Fustek or the ones from the ISS model (that are a bit too big for the KSO). Like that it could look like the Spacelab in the Space Shuttle :)

The KSO will not be compatible, sorry. :(

I'll actually make my own Spacelab type thing, too, most likely. (In a later phase of development.)

I'm also gonna work on the textures a bit more, so stay tuned! :D

Oh, no. Erm, uh, it... uh, is kinda ded for now. :c

Don't worry, Dream Chaser can hold small cargoes and I think it can fly unmanned (hypothetically, if it flies :(/:P), so in a later version of this mod's releases, you can has cargo bay! :D

Nah, that's military. Naten doesn't make military stuff, right Naten?

Plus, Dream Chaser is awesome. :D

I agree with Dream Chaser being awesome, but like some of the other people on this thread, I really like the idea of an unmanned shuttle with a cargo bay and all that jazz. Since he said he was making Dream Chaser, I thought that if he had a real-world ship to model something on, it would be easier.

Thus, my recommendation for the X-37. (Although the shadiness of that project terrifies me.)

Nah, that's military. Naten doesn't make military stuff, right Naten?

Plus, Dream Chaser is awesome. :D

No killing machines or killing machine test beds here. :(

Don't worry, I'm not a pacifist, but the USA's secrecy in the air force... what are they doing? I don't even care, it's just a load of conspiracy that you have to believe if you did... :P

I agree with Dream Chaser being awesome, but like some of the other people on this thread, I really like the idea of an unmanned shuttle with a cargo bay and all that jazz. Since he said he was making Dream Chaser, I thought that if he had a real-world ship to model something on, it would be easier.

Thus, my recommendation for the X-37. (Although the shadiness of that project terrifies me.)

Dream Chaser... I do believe it has a cargo bay. Also, I'm customizing this one for my own needs, it's not gonna exactly be a Dream Chaser, kinda like Tiberion's shuttles. Please, I love Dream Chaser, and I'll make it unmanned but have a crew cabin, and also have a cargo bay! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.