Mass-produced Space Sim Control Panel / USB Keypad?

MajorThomas

Hi All,

I've been looking for this for a long time: A specialized keypad / control panel, USB of course, for sims such as KSP or Orbiter. Not a one-off user project, but something mass produced, commercial if you will. Haven't seen anything though. What I have seen:

1. Arduino-based custom projects with indicator lights, switches, display panels, etc. Fantastic, but (so far) one-off and available only to the builder(s).

2. Some joysticks may have programmable buttons on them.

3. There are lots of commercial panels, switch boxes and display units for aircraft flight sims, but haven't seen anything for space cadets like us.

If a simple, affordable and attractive space sim control panel doesn't exist maybe it's time to create one.

I use the Razer Nostromo:

razer-nostromo-gallery-2.png

I've got F1 through F5 (no F4) plus F9 mapped to the top row, then the action groups 1 through 7 on the middle row and bottom left keys. RCS translation is mapped to the thumbstick and the two bottom right keys of the main pad. Currently, I'm not certain what I have the mini-spacebar doing (probably space...), but the little button above the thumbstick and the scroll wheel are tied in to my Sunbeam lasers.

Very useful device :D

I'll have to think of some other games I can use it with, but I'm sure once Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen emerge, and in combo with my joystick, there will be one helluva good time :cool:

Edited by RogueMason

I use the Rozer Nostromo:

I've got F1 through F5 (no F4) plus F9 mapped to the top row, then the action groups 1 through 7 on the middle row and bottom left keys. RCS translation is mapped to the thumbstick and the two bottom right keys of the main pad. Currently, I'm not certain what I have the mini-spacebar doing (probably space...), but the little button above the thumbstick and the scroll wheel are tied in to my Sunbeam lasers.

Very useful device :D

I'll have to think of some other games I can use it with, but I'm sure once Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen emerge, and in combo with my joystick, there will be one helluva good time :cool:

Wow, that's a nice step up from my (ancient) Nostromo n52! I'd forgotten I have that controller. I'll have to dig it out and put it back into service.

The cougar MFD pack is also a neat sim addition: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/mfd-cougar-pack

I use it for playing DCS sims like A-10/Blackshark. I've got it propped on my lower monitor, using Helios software to render bits of the control panel inside their boundary.

Here's my setup:

I really want that Nostromo

Edited by stubbles

Brilliant ideas all!

The Nostromo and G13...appear to be setup for left hand use. Do you use your left thumbs for the thumbsticks? FWIW I just ordered a G13 so I can familiarize myself with a keypad unit of this type.

That iPad panel control panel is absolutely fabulous...not just control buttons, but also fuel gauges and other essential stuff. I definitely noticed the game universal time displayed next to mission time. That is so useful. Not having this info, it irritates me so, because one has to exit to tracking center just to know what time it is...surely that ought to be displayed in the ship data somewhere?

Combining the best of all these elements into one package would be a worthy goal.

Edited by MajorThomas

I too have a nostromo. For KSP I have two different keymaps I switch between, one is for VAB/SPH use with rotation controls and symmetry, and the other for in-flight.I also have an alt mapping giving me access to action groups.

With this setup I still have to enter docking mode to translate, as the D-Pad really isn't suitable.

Of course, I use the nostromo for plenty of games other than KSP too, and it works great!

What would be really cool is mass produced version of the Soyuz joysticks (the difference from usual ones is, you can twist one of them - which is relatively common - and push-pull the other).

Can one translate and rotate in KSP at the same time? That would make docking easier, with two joysticks setup Soyuz style.

EDIT: Yes, clearly one can, using WASD for rotation and IJKL for translation. In fact I've setup my G13 that way. Bliss.

Edited by MajorThomas

Also bringing attention to the Palette, a customizable set of buttons, dials and sliders developed by two kickstarter guys. This article mentions KSP, used to help demonstrate their controller's abilities:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/10/5397296/palette-controller

That is a really cool idea, but I fear that to control a rocket you'd need about 8 square meters of desk space.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.