KOrion Capsule -- First Mesh Developed for Mod Work

Avindair

Hey, everyone --

I've decided to finally put on my big boy pants and try modeling an asset for Kerbal Space Program. I've wanted to do this since the early days (think 2011 here, folks) so it's about time I stopped thinking about it and do it.

So far the mesh weighs in at 13,000 polys, which is far too big for the game. Fortunately, I still have a working copy of the "Decimation" plugin for LW, so once I'm satisfied with the mesh and bake down the textures, I'll compress down her poly count to something more reasonable. After that? It's time for me to dive in and try to get it into the program itself.

Yeah. That's gonna be a learning experience. :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by stupid_chris
fixed the imgur album c:

Yeah, that is a pretty high part count. It would be fine if you only have one at a time, but things could get problematic later on. A good thing to do though, is to apply an invisible collider mesh, and with that, you can get away with almost any number of polys. (Also, Unity will most likely double or even triple your poly count when you import it, as unity converts everything to triangles for ease of use.)

This looks really nice, and I hope to see it in the game!

Thanks, guys!

Yep, current Lightwave user, but that's changing. Have to make the long-delayed move to Maya, Modo, and ZBrush. Excited about what I'll learn, nervous about the need to learn all new muscle memory. Oh, well. I can do it.

As for IVA, yep, planning on a full cockpit. Lots of excellent reference for the Orion, even if the sources often contradict each other. (Don't get me started on the window area! Some references have the two main windows recessed and rotated vertically, while others have it aligned to the hull as I've modeled it. It's maddening.) I look forward to seeing seven Kerbals jammed into this beast.

Thanks, guys!

Yep, current Lightwave user, but that's changing. Have to make the long-delayed move to Maya, Modo, and ZBrush. Excited about what I'll learn, nervous about the need to learn all new muscle memory. Oh, well. I can do it.

As for IVA, yep, planning on a full cockpit. Lots of excellent reference for the Orion, even if the sources often contradict each other. (Don't get me started on the window area! Some references have the two main windows recessed and rotated vertically, while others have it aligned to the hull as I've modeled it. It's maddening.) I look forward to seeing seven Kerbals jammed into this beast.

You definitely should use RPM for the IVA :) Orion also features a drogue and main parachute system so if you are not against including too many plugins you could also take a look at RealChute... I'm pretty excited what you will do^^

Edit:

If you need a reference for the IVA, there is this video if you haven't seen it:

You can also see a bit of the inside and the many monitors of the Orion cockpit here :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22I7XzXCTr4

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Fantastic model. I will suggest now that the capsule be 3.75 meters, as this would succinctly differentiate it from the stock Mark 1-2 capsule. Again, it's the prettiest capsule ever!

It should be as the Orion MPCV holds 3 to 6 (or 7 I am not entirely sure) crew members so it should be bigger than the Mk1-2 capsule

It should be as the Orion MPCV holds 3 to 6 (or 7 I am not entirely sure) crew members so it should be bigger than the Mk1-2 capsule

Yea. The real orion capsule is 5m, so considering that kerbals are smaller than humans, 6 for a 3.75m capsule sounds about right.

Initial test with 10k poly mesh was as disastrous as expected. (I reduced it by 3k with judicious use of bandglue in modeler.) It's far too heavy for even an i7 and, as feared, I'm getting terrible smoothing errors on the OBJ.

Off to do some research.

In the meantime, did a quick update to the surfacing to add the window's "raccoon mask."

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So small tips that you may or may not have tried already:

Your mesh for the capsule should be a capsule. There shouldn't really be any special geometry on the mesh of the pod itself. That should reduce polys.

Things like windows, decals, etc. should be a part of the texture and normal map of the texture.

If you already know this, then you can ignore me and call me SkyHook.

Beautiful, as i always say, textures make or break it for me, and you sir have definitely made it :D May i suggest that if you ever do a color sweep that you make it not necesarrily the exact colors of the Orion capsule but rather a stock matching off white with decal colors of any preference as it would increase stock-alike-ness and make the mod even more desirable :cool:

Great work overall :) added to watch list

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.