KOrion Capsule -- First Mesh Developed for Mod Work

Avindair

Avindair and I are getting a huge kick at the positive response this project is getting. Thank you for your support and your collection of excited gifs!

We just finished modeling the main fuel tank with adapter modeled and will soon be moving onto the entire MPCV.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

As an added bonus, this is Avindair's current mental state while working with Lightwave's UV unwrap tools.

I+m+so+pissed+off+I+NEVER+have+money+during+the+_3881ffaa264fd5f289f4dd32d5f285b3.png

We'll keep you all posted!

NoMrBond: It's always been a PITA, but the real challenge here is trying to get as close to a 1:1 transfer of high poly and resolution images to the low poly object. I'm getting so many distortion issues as to drive me utterly batty.

I just rebooted into my Windows install (I run OS X) and ran my 32 bit install of LW 10.1 just so I could try my Decimate plugin. That was...not successful.

At this point I'm thinking the best way to make this work is to just find the best projection combination to get me the cleanest wrapping to the low-poly object.

For the record? Yes. this part of the process is aging me. :)

Wow. Love the look of that pod. What is the diameter on that? I think the real one is 5m but i'm not sure if you're scaling it down to Kerbal size or not (guessing 3.75 would be Kerbal)

Edit: Personally, a 5m pod would be nice :)

Edited by rosenkranz

Could you make a hatch opening animation like on the LazTek Dragon, and custom parachutes (Jeb requested pictures of Snacksâ„¢) and a Snacksâ„¢ container (again; requested by Jeb).

I'd personally vote against an opening hatch, as it kinda breaks immersion when the hatch opens and there's no kerbals in there.

I'd personally vote against an opening hatch, as it kinda breaks immersion when the hatch opens and there's no kerbals in there.

What if you had an animated hatch that led to an airlock space and the entry (isTrigger box collider that airlocks are) was inside the animated bay?

That sounds pretty fiddly though

An animated hatch WOULD be sweet...but at this point I'm focused on basic stuff like "making it work in the game." :) As soon as I get a little more comfortable with the LW-to-Unity interchange, I plan on adding a few more fiddlies.

Oh, and for the record? I can't see how this crew capsule would work without the RPM MFDs. That's how the real bird works, after all.

My son, seeing that I was about to bite into my hard drive out of pure frustration, knocked together the SLS for the vehicle in all of 45 minutes. I used it to test some texturing techniques, just to remind myself that, no, I'm not a dolt.

For the record, the SLS is game-level when it comes to poly count, but honestly I think I could get away with using it for medium shots in animations.

Back to working with Unity!

Hey Avindair, the forum natively supports IMGUR albums, so you can just [imgUR] tag the album code (with a closing /IMGUR)

And your album won't end up in a scrolling frame

Hmmm...I thought I was doing that with the imgur tags. Must be screwing something up.

Sorry about that!

What if you had an animated hatch that led to an airlock space and the entry (isTrigger box collider that airlocks are) was inside the animated bay?

That sounds pretty fiddly though

Bobcat did that on his MPSS Nautilus, so it's certainly possible.

Not much done in the way of modeling or surfacing yesterday or today. Just did another couple of runs importing the capsule into KSP for flight testing.

Good news: It looks better in-game than I feared.

Bad news: It doesn't look good enough.

Images of her latest test flight added per NoMrBond's instruction:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.