Cutting it Close.

To all who read this, I propose a challenge. A simple challenge. My challenge is to fly as close to the land or water as possible, as fast as possible. Fly over or through land formations and cut it as close as possible. Not very original but quite fun. Photos of my attempt are attached below so you can get the idea.

To all who read this, I propose a challenge. A simple challenge. My challenge is to fly as close to the land or water as possible, as fast as possible. Fly over or through land formations and cut it as close as possible.

Literally right before I opened up the forums, I was just bringing the Vanguard down over water, and trying to see how close i could get on a level flight. I got down to about 20 meters and I was cruising along. I got down to about 10 meters and I was just cruising along. Not very fast, maybe 75-80 m/s. When I got down to about 7 m there was a little bit of a hiccup and I almost ditched, but caught it at the last second and was zipping along at literally 1 meter! It was insane. It looked as though I was sitting on the water\'s surface, but I was still going like 75 m/s. I was wondering how long i could keep it up for when I finally messed it up and it caught on the water and floated to a stop. It was crazy, I was literally skimming the waves.

Now that you posted this challenge, I\'m going to have to recreate it and see how fast I can get it going ;D

Hahah, @Tim I had one of those moments today, trying to do some scudrunning on the mun I realized I was dropping fast went full throttle for a good 10 seconds to have the ground come halfway through the closest particle coming out of the engine at five hundred something m/s. I wish i had taken a screen, but i was too busy s***ting bricks to hit it.

250.8 m/s, 2 meters off the water.

MheIj.jpg

IYE0p.jpg

iNFlD.jpg

I also added another engine and managed to pump a few more m/s, but it was harder to control so I didn\'t get as low.

AI99X.jpg

A fun design. Very aerodynamically stable. Never stalls. Terrible glide plane though. More of a missile than a plane.

wntOL.jpg

Only has enough fuel for a minute or two of flight.

This challenge motivated me to build a plane. I tried to test the power of its parachute system; both while fully fuelled and when having expended all its fuel. The full tanks were too heavy for the chutes. So I just flew around a bit, burning off fuel, having fun. So much fun, in fact, that I completely forgot about the fuel test and nearly ran out while being far too fast! So I immediately manoeuvred to negate my velocity, and deployed the parachutes.

Too early.

I still had fuel left. So then I carefully burned the fuel, slowing my descent speed and ascending a bit in order to repeat the parachute test with more altitude. Which broke the parachutes.

Oh-oh.

Now I was in a real bind - no parachutes, little fuel, and several dozen metres above rough terrain.

Well, yours truly once again managed to save his little Kerbs, even though it cost me the last drop of fuel, a lot of nerves, and some minor explosions. Nonetheless, Jeb, Bill and Bob are good for another round!

PS: My next fuel wasting test is done by having the plane stand on the launch platform on improvised legs (several radial decouplers), happily burning away for a few minutes.

PPS: Great Success! After patiently burning fuel for ten minutes, I succeeded in using my triple parachutes to slow the plane\'s fall to such an extent that only the lowermost portions of it exploded! The Kerbs are alive and well! And maybe, some day, I\'ll even decouple the plane instead of semi-exploding it!

Close Calls
LOLed hard at your stage drop and the following lithobraking. U r crazy :D

And I think your flight wins))))

I cannot offer screenies of flights close to the ground (although I\'ve had dozens of them when testing my landing gear, they all\'ve been rather short), but once I\'ve managed to follow a Drone quite closely. For almost 17 minutes in a row.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12098;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12100;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12102;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12104;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12106;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12108;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6754.0;attach=12110;image

I\'ve been constantly taking screenshots during that flight to get a best picture of that plane. Apparently I\'ve made almost 200 screenies. So the flight\'s been documented quite well ;D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.