Newbie requesting techy answers!

Dgr

Hey Guys, how goes it?

I accidentally discovered KSP through robbaz's channel on youtube, and promptly downloaded the demo. Much carnage ensued, but I finally made it to Mun safely, and home again(!). I am ready to purchase the full version, however I need a question answered first.

The demo is laggy enough on my (ancient) laptop. It is mainly on takeoff that I get the slideshow effect. Is the full game likely to be much worse?

Is the demo still 1.7, or 1.6?

The full game is a bit more optimized so it'll probably run better. I can't see it running worse. However, it (and the demo) both tax the computer quite a bit and as you get bigger (and more) ships going that will take its toll. Flying the same 50-100 part mission will be better, but in the full game you'll eventually be trying to get 300, 500, 700 and more parts going and that will bring most any computer to its knees.

Thank you for the fast response :)

Is there a way of finding out how good (or bad) my computer is? I will be honest, I really do want the full version, but I have a very tight budget. I'm not moaning about the price, far from it, I think its great value for gameplay time/cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have re-read my opening posts and realised that I have given you no information what so-ever. What a n00b. Ok, I run the demo with everything turned off/down. If I enable ground scatter and land on Mun it turns into a slideshow, wont register any keyboard inputs etc. Im not sure how to check part count, but if I build anything big(ish) it just crashes out. I had to re-write the engine programming to give me double power and weight per engine so that I could half my part count... I know, I know, cheating already?!?

Its a pretty ancient laptop, I mainly use it for writing android apps, and it even struggles with that. I followed the instructions above and my processor is a Intel Core 2, t5500 @ 1.66GHz. I dont know much about hardware, but I know thats bad. Is there any hope for me?

I know when you've a rocket saved it shows part count as part of the name when you open save file. Same when you click on (empty) launch pad. The latter also allows you to put different Kerbals in there.

I am downloading the full version now, still on a ancient old laptop, hopefully it will run it. Im so excited :D

Even tuning everything down in the game doesn't set the graphics as "low" as they can go. There's more room for tweaking in the config file, so keep that in mind.

There are also "welding" mods, that let you combine multiple parts into one or have ready-made combinations, and thus reduce part counts on bigger ships.

Yeah, first thing I did was play with the config file, Though all I have done is lower the settings for kerbin/kerbinOcean to 3/1/5. Would you mind expanding on the 'welding' mods? Sorry, never heard of it. Im on the full version now, So excited :D

You'll need a killer graphics card for KSP to run smoothly on highest settings, as it is the GPU that has to do most of the calculations. :wink:

False. The GPU does not do most of the calculations in KSP. The physics engine does not make use of the GPU hardware and runs entirely in the CPU.