What would YOU want powering YOUR rocket?

KASASpace

I vote antimatter drive. Nuclear reactions convert <1% of the fuel into energy. Matter-Antimatter annihilation converts 100% of the fuel into energy. That's 2-3 orders of magnitude improvement in efficiency! Plus antimatter was in the final episode of Exo-Squad which is probably the best kid's cartoon in history.

Well are we already in space, because if we are, I want an antimatter drive. It works very similar to a solar sail, but it blasts antimatter at the sail in small amounts and pushes it forward slowly. You get a ton of ∆V with the downside of a slow acceleration. So you can switch it on and start sailing off and go and begin working on your experiments in the back, or go take a nap.

Well are we already in space, because if we are, I want an antimatter drive. It works very similar to a solar sail, but it blasts antimatter at the sail in small amounts and pushes it forward slowly. You get a ton of ∆V with the downside of a slow acceleration. So you can switch it on and start sailing off and go and begin working on your experiments in the back, or go take a nap.

That doesn't work... you can't stand on the deck of a ship and blow on the sails to get propulsion. Due to Newton's third law, your wind has to come from somewhere else (In other words, conservation of momentum).

Plus the antimatter would annihilate with the ordinary matter that the sail is made out of... unless your sail is made of antimatter, too. (which kind of makes the whole use of antimatter pointless)

I like the idea of an anti-matter fueled photon rocket. One tank of hydrogen and one tank of anti-hydrogen. Mix them together inside your engine and focus the gamma photons out the back. Just don't point them at Kerbal.

For anyone who's wondering how a photon would impart thrust, photons do have momentum. Weird, I know.

That doesn't work... you can't stand on the deck of a ship and blow on the sails to get propulsion. Due to Newton's third law, your wind has to come from somewhere else (In other words, conservation of momentum).

Plus the antimatter would annihilate with the ordinary matter that the sail is made out of... unless your sail is made of antimatter, too. (which kind of makes the whole use of antimatter pointless)

These points invalidate each other. The antimatter annihilates on the sail, providing forward thrust.

• 2 weeks later...
I vote antimatter drive. Nuclear reactions convert <1% of the fuel into energy. Matter-Antimatter annihilation converts 100% of the fuel into energy. That's 2-3 orders of magnitude improvement in efficiency! Plus antimatter was in the final episode of Exo-Squad which is probably the best kid's cartoon in history.

However most of it is gamma rays and is not usable.

Depends where I am going.

*Interstellar - An interstellar ramjet or antimatter

Throughout the solar system with time to waste - Ion or Solar Sails

Throughout the solar system quickly - Chemical rockets/*Space Elevators/*Mass drivers

Well while I'd like an Orion drive on my rocket, I wouldn't like one on YOUR rocket! The same, for that matter, goes for the otherwise excellent mass driver.

So I think I'll settle for a nuclear electric rocket. One with decent enough thrust that I can make a normal planetary transfer, and good enough Isp that I never need worry about fuel. It'll stay in space, and I'll have a little SSTO tender with a SABRE/RAPIER engine to get on and off planets and moons.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.