Singularity Research Initiative - dev thread

Daemoria

gXDEk2fZ

Hm, this ship is getting a bit too tall to fit on my screen/show off the detail at the same time. And it's still missing the payload section. . .

Lots of blank real-estate on the side of the second stage for some Logos and Signage. I wonder who would be a good sponsor for this vessel.

Edited by Daemoria

Not a big fan of the wire-mesh decoupler, but that's more personal preference than anything. I prefer much more low profile decouplers. (The ones from KW Rocketry are my favorite) I still love the detail! And who's to say it needs a sponsor?

The models all look awesome, but for me this section between two sizes should a bit longer, it looks a bit thickish.

A good fix for this would be to provide two different styles. One that is longer with a smoother change in diameter, and the current one.

Edited by Taki117

Not a big fan of the wire-mesh decoupler, but that's more personal preference than anything. I prefer much more low profile decouplers. (The ones from KW Rocketry are my favorite) I still love the detail! And who's to say it needs a sponsor?

A good fix for this would be to provide two different styles. One that is longer with a smoother change in diameter, and the current one.

He doesn't need a sponsor. He needs a "donate" button. He would earn more money in one day than Bill Gates in two years.

Taki117: If you can provide a picture of the low profile decoupler you are referring to, that could possibly sway me into including a set of them. As of now, unfortunately, the majority of of the couplers that i've planned are all skeletal, like that one above.

cziken20: I plan on including 3 sizes for all the fuel tanks. Short, standard, and long. They are respectably 3meters tall, 7meters tall, and for the longest ones, 15meters tall. Currently i modeled the 1/2 meter adapter tanks in the long and short versions. If those don't appeal to your ship's design, you might have better luck with the standard piece. It's like you want, a more even transition between the two sizes. I just haven't modeled it, because non of my example ships require that particular piece, but the option will be there in the final release.

2_3_standard_fueltank.jpg

Sponsor logos might be a bit out of flavor for these ships I guess, but I do want to have some insignia or names on the sides of the largest pieces, to add a bit of color. I'm completely open to suggestions in that regard, no matter how strange they might seem.

I really love the wire mesh, I agree that it would be good to make both?

Also if there was going to be a sponsor it'd have to be FUTURISTIC!

The thing i would like to see the most (i am not pressing you to do this) is fuel tank that is very small, but hold a lot of fuel (but in normal means, you know not like a tank the size of Probodobyne octo holding 1000000 fuel), so i could make finally a good-looking probe :D. Tanks were always making probes ugly for me, but with your skills you can make a tank that makes everything prettier! What i say, you can make everything look beutiful (in modelling of course! Idk if you can make things like makeup :P :P :P).

I'll see what I can come up with once I finish these pieces. I was thinking of doing some .5 meter range fuel tanks actually, for unmanned low-tech launches. Essentially ballistics testing/high altitude atmospherics science. As for probes that leave Kerbin SOI, if they leave their staging behind they would most likely rely on a series of radial attached fuel tanks. Ion drives don't exactly need massive amounts of fuel, so the smaller side tanks would work in that instance...

I agree, standard fuel cylinder tanks can look kinda ugly on small satellites/drones, so I'll definably look into it.

Taki117: If you can provide a picture of the low profile decoupler you are referring to, that could possibly sway me into including a set of them. As of now, unfortunately, the majority of of the couplers that i've planned are all skeletal, like that one above.

Here you go. 3/4 view

lZbtGrh.png

With Stock Stack Seperator for scale

N2FoHwy.png

and with Stock Decoupler for scale

PO6V2nP.png

I have nothing against the Wire mesh, Might even serve as an engine shroud for the oddly shaped engines, I just don't see it getting much use in the middle of rockets.

sojourner: I actually didn't even look at the Ares I launcher before you mentioned it. It's now added to the massive pile of reference, so some of it might show up in future related meshes.

Taki117: Thanks for taking the time to get the images for me. I actually do have some inter-stage decouplers that resemble those. The wire designs are just meant to provide both staging and hold an engine, while remaining light. I just have to get to a design that calls for the smaller mechanical decouplers to be modeled for you see them. :]

BahamutoD: Don't you dare let me stop you from making your own part set. The only way you improve is from practice, and nothing is better than making a couple hundred parts.

Greywind: My time is very limited during the week, but I'll see what I can do. I'm currently exploring how to make some interesting looking (compact) payload modules and some nice Interplanetary stages. I'll get some drawings up soon-ish.

Top tier tech right here. This is a variant on the very heavy interplanetary vessel posted on the first page. It has 2 radialy attached Lampetra SSTO lander parasites, and a massive cargo bay for all of your potential extra-planetary development missions.

1ZMeXyrS

Holy... I was not expecting that. How big is that thing?

Somewhere between huge, and massive. The titan bay is, according to my notes, a 6m radius part. This section of the interplanetary stage is almost as long as my entire tier 1 launch vehicle is tall. That one being the meshes that i'm working on currently.

Somewhere between huge, and massive. The titan bay is, according to my notes, a 6m radius part. This section of the interplanetary stage is almost as long as my entire tier 1 launch vehicle is tall. That one being the meshes that i'm working on currently.

Impressive. And everything has a certain style to it, I can't wait to start building. Take your time though, of course!