[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

TeeGee: quite. That's what I meant; treat the RAPIER like AJE treats the SABREs.

Ok, what fuel?

Meanwhile i'll see what I can do about SABRE with variable CPR feature

I would get this mod, but I have one criticism preventing me from downloading.

Don't you think the turbojet engine should be a Turbojet? I dislike the thought that my high altitude planes have to be remade with another heavy engine. I think you should make the ramjet its own part instead of changing another (commonly used) engine's name and purpose.

Don't you think the turbojet engine should be a Turbojet? I dislike the thought that my high altitude planes have to be remade with another heavy engine. I think you should make the ramjet its own part instead of changing another (commonly used) engine's name and purpose.

The turbojet is f100 which is suitable for a fighter plane, the so called "turbofan" is J57 which is best for hypersonic planes. The ramjets are from tv's pack. Any problem with this arrangement?

You're out of date. No longer true.

Ok, what fuel?

Meanwhile i'll see what I can do about SABRE with variable CPR feature

Interesting question. I'd suggest perhaps kerolox, since a kerolox SSTO *should* be possible, barely, if it's an airbreather with a decent vacuum nozzle (>330s Isp). Also, it's a much better fit for Kerbin, where orbital velocity isn't. :D

Also, that variable-CPR still seems to have issues, since the Vulcan still puts me in an infinite loop with AJE 1.2...With an infinite loop rather than an exception it's harder to nail down...it behaved better with zeroed tangents rather than actual tangents, but still gave me the problem. For the record:

MODULE
{
name = AJEModule
IspMultiplier=1
defaultentype=2
acore= 10.17
byprat=0
tinlt = 2500
tfan = 2500
tcomp = 2500
tt4 = 3000
tt7 = 5500
prat3 = 1.5
eta3 = 0.99
eta4 = 0.99
eta5 = 1
eta7 = 0.8
fhv = 20000
abflag = 1
usePrat3Curve = True
prat3Curve
{
key = 0.0 10.0 0.0 0.0
key = 2.5 10.0 0.0 0.0 //0.0 -6.0
key = 3.0 6.0 0.0 0.0 //-3.0 -3.0
key = 4.0 3.0 0.0 0.0 //-2.0 -2.0
key = 5.0 1.0 0.0 0.0 //-1.0 0.0
key = 5.1 1.0 0.0 0.0
}
}

The exception is caused by the nasa code. Sometimes i run into it while using AJEtester. At what speed do u have the problem?

It seems usually happens when prat3<10

Have you noticed any problem while flying J57? I haven't

Edited by camlost

You mean J58, surely? And no, it's been rock solid. It's something about the particular prat3 for the Vulcan. And no exception gets tossed, KSP just hangs. Hence why I thought infinite loop, getting stuck in the PartModule code without returning. AJE Tester can also be made to hang by scrubbing the velocity bar with the above engine settings [minus prat3 and its curve], by choosing say 3.0 for prat3 and using the rest of the stats.

horndgmium: wow, I never noticed that the Mainsail I'm using is invisible! You'd think a bunch of people on this thread would have noticed too...

Non-sarcastically, if you alone have a giant, crippling bug, and no one else has it...it's probably not an issue with the mod. It's probably an install issue.

The changes in ElectricPropellers.cfg don't seem to be applying to the KAX and Firespitter electric engines. Any idea why this might be? They show as being applied in the log, but in game neither the name nor the behaviour is changed.

Here is the MM code I'm trying to use.

@PART[KAXelectricprop]
{
@title=AJE e50 Electric Propeller Engine
@description= 300 horsepower low-speed propeller
@mass = 0.1

MODULE
{
name=AJEPropeller
IspMultiplier = 1
useOxygen = false
r0 = 4
v0 = 120
omega0 = 600
rho0 = 0.8
power0 = 300
fine = 0.1
coarse = 10
omega = 600
power = 300
gearratio = 1
turbo = 1
BSFC = 4.5e-5
}

!MODULE[FSpropellerAtmosphericNerf]{}
}

Edited by Elouda

Hi, I just thought you guys should know, in case it has not already been logged, that aje prevents squad parts from loading.

I can't say I've had the same experience. I use several Squad parts with my aircraft using AJE engines. What parts in particular are missing if not all of them?

Is the other electric propellers working? Is the KAX turboprop working?

None of the other electrics were working, apart from the electric helo rotor. The other KAX parts were - this is why it was so mystifying.

Moving the AJEPropeller module into the part file itself fixed it.

However, the latest patch seems to have fixed this and they work via the modulemanager files now.

Using the newest AJE from today, I'm running into some trouble. I'm attempting an SSTO with the B9 SABRE M engines. I've now got the M SABRE intake, the M precooler, and the M engine as a unit, surface attached to the side of my spaceplane. Once I hit a certain point in the atmosphere, one engine was producing much more thrust than the other. It's like one flamed out, but it was still at idle. I toggled both on and off, switched modes, nothing seemed to help. It was around 15 km that I first noticed it. Both engines were reporting having 100% inlet area (if I'm reading the right-click menu properly), so I'm not sure what would be causing it.

So, is this some user error on my part, or is this a glitch with the new inlet code?

Using the newest AJE from today, I'm running into some trouble. I'm attempting an SSTO with the B9 SABRE M engines. I've now got the M SABRE intake, the M precooler, and the M engine as a unit, surface attached to the side of my spaceplane. Once I hit a certain point in the atmosphere, one engine was producing much more thrust than the other. It's like one flamed out, but it was still at idle. I toggled both on and off, switched modes, nothing seemed to help. It was around 15 km that I first noticed it. Both engines were reporting having 100% inlet area (if I'm reading the right-click menu properly), so I'm not sure what would be causing it.

So, is this some user error on my part, or is this a glitch with the new inlet code?

That's weird. I've tested many dual engine planes, in no circumstances the inlets' causing unsymmetrical thrust, even if the inlets are unsymmetrical

That's weird. I've tested many dual engine planes, in no circumstances the inlets' causing unsymmetrical thrust, even if the inlets are unsymmetrical

I tested the same craft a few more times and never had that happen again. I'll chalk it up to the odd way KSP does symmetry sometimes and leave it at that.

I'm enjoying the mod so far, so thanks for your work!

Hmmm. I made my first ssto with this new update, but it seems too easy still. I get up to Mach 1.5, switch to rockets and burn all the way up to 80 km apoapsis. Is the ISP correct with kerosene/liquid oxygen fuel? It seems too good for me... or maybe remove the kerosene/iquid oxygen fuel altogether and force players to use liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen instead. The SABRE engines use the latter fuel and we know the ISP of those engines. That way we as players are forced to build larger craft to account for the lower density liquid hydrogen requiring higher volume tanks.

Hmmm. I made my first ssto with this new update, but it seems too easy still. I get up to Mach 1.5, switch to rockets and burn all the way up to 80 km apoapsis. Is the ISP correct with kerosene/liquid oxygen fuel? It seems too good for me... or maybe remove the kerosene/iquid oxygen fuel altogether and force players to use liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen instead. The SABRE engines use the latter fuel and we know the ISP of those engines. That way we as players are forced to build larger craft to account for the lower density liquid hydrogen requiring higher volume tanks.

You aren't using RSS, are you?

You aren't using RSS, are you?

What is RSS? I'm using real fuels and according to that mod I can use either kerosene OR liquid h2/liquid o2 as fuel for the rapier.

Real Solar System.

It converts the tiny marble-sized funky-looking planets of KSP into the real thing. :)

(And it means that orbital velocity becomes real life's 7.7km/sec, with delta-V-to-orbit of approx 9300m/s)

Yeah I've used RSS before then, I didn't find it fun because it was basically aerospace engineering for planet earth. I like the kerbal world a bit better.