space elevator scot manley style redux

So if your a fan of scot manley like I am, wich we probbably all are here. Youve probbably seen his video on space elevators. And he came to the conclusion its a impossible concept in ksp. However ive got the twist to the challange.

Do it on gilly!

Gilly has such low gravity kerbals can darn near jump into orbit. So my thought process was to take the gerder segments and weld them together end to end maby with a quad coupler for support. Cover it in ladders. Put a heavy object at the base of it. Ship it off to gilly and land it heavy end down. Now sense we all know the widest part of a circle has to traverse the quickest. It doesnt sound that farfetched to build this contraption so that kerbals can just climb the ladder and be at escape velocity from gilly.

Usefullness on gill ZERO

im just curious to see if it can be done.

Submission Guide

Is this challenge possible?

Many challenges we see are nearly or literally impossible to achieve, and usually very little thought has gone into them, these challenges just annoy people, waste forum space and show that the submitter hasn't really tried.

If I'm not mistaken, visible range is only 2.5km. Even with Romfarer's toys visible range is extended to 25 km.

Ok well maby it could aleast get to orbital velocity ? It doesnt have to be in geosync orbit does it? Im away from my computer at the moment so points will be awarded to anyone who accomplishes it before me.

At the very least im going to try making a 2.5km structure on gilly it ought

Well we might have to tolerate some lag but this looks possible to me. Im working on designing a structure that wont tip over right now. Im thinking a massive wheight on the bottom and a long thin girder segment with sas rings and rcs to hold it in place. Ive om ly tested on kerbin and its not holding very well. But gilly has totally different rules altogether. Im going to have to build some mexhanism to get it there. I could cheat but id really prefer not to except as a last resort

I am unsure how to link in pictures so I will describe what happened. I got a decently sized tower to gilly and climbed it with the kerbal and then lept up in the air and sure enough I had a tiny tiny ballistic arc. so the concept does work. but im honestly not sure if I can do much better because it was all I could do to get the part there so I suppose cheating time just for a proof of concept!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.