[0.23]Baha. Parts for Extraplanetary Launchpads v1.2 (3/2/14)

BahamutoD

If you make a "rocket" with the 3D printer on the bottom and anything at all above it, the 3D printer will fall through the launch pad. It will stay connected to the parts above. The very top white portion of the 3d printer seems to have its mesh. You can see the sliver of air between the Kerbin launch pad and your launch pad here: 2qi1a9h.jpg

Huh. That's odd. The landing pad is having issues as well. A stock remote guidance unit just falls right off the bottom of the landing pad and the landing pad just has a gap under it's feet. Sometimes the guidance unit won't pop off. That's probably squad's fault there to some extent.

Edited by BigD145

So it's been a while since I've updated or worked on this, but I will get back to it soon. I have a question for you all: has anyone who tried using the expanding containers ever experienced a weird wobble? I was using the ore container on a drill rover; it was fine once on the ground, but in the launch vehicle it had this glitchy looking wobble. I wonder if it was a collision mesh issue or just something wrong with my LV design. Anyway let me know if you've experienced this as well so I can try fixing it.

Yeah I had this problem, you can attach anything to the outside of the Exp. Containers and they start dancing if you end struts on them....

When is the update due do you know? I love your drill models, can't live with the basic EL ones...

Would it be possible to get a "tiny" drill? Something in-line with the size of your surface sample drill. It's just that your "small" drill is still slightly big, and doesn't match with the size/shape of the small Kethane drill. I attempted to just copy the XL drill cfg and mess with it's scale setting (As well as ec usage and other stats), but I couldn't get it the right size.

I'm having trouble getting the parts to load. I stick the files into the GameData folder and they wont show up in the VAB. Any ideas? edit: nvm figured it out. all parts in part catalog doesnt actually mean all parts untill you update it.

Edited by fgdowns

I finally installed .23.5 today and got to witness the issues with the parts. Quite frustrating indeed... I'm not sure how long it will take to fix it but I will as soon as I can.

Yeah I had this problem, you can attach anything to the outside of the Exp. Containers and they start dancing if you end struts on them....

When is the update due do you know? I love your drill models, can't live with the basic EL ones...

Try replacing it with this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103148235/rpartsExp-fix.zip

I was going to stick it in the update but it might be a little while till I can get everythin else fixed.

Let me know if that worked.

Would it be possible to get a "tiny" drill? Something in-line with the size of your surface sample drill. It's just that your "small" drill is still slightly big, and doesn't match with the size/shape of the small Kethane drill. I attempted to just copy the XL drill cfg and mess with it's scale setting (As well as ec usage and other stats), but I couldn't get it the right size.

I'm not planning on making a smaller drill because I wanted to adhere to the EL authors' idea that getting these big heavy duty parts to where you need them are an intentional challenge. If you really want it though, just experiment with the rescaleFactor.

If it helps, I did some troubleshooting as best I could in-game and it seems that when I have anything radially attached to the printer, it fails to stay connected. When I have anything attached to it, it *almost* always fails. I only had it not fail once in about a dozen tries, and I could not recreate the circumstances.

I'm not planning on making a smaller drill because I wanted to adhere to the EL authors' idea that getting these big heavy duty parts to where you need them are an intentional challenge. If you really want it though, just experiment with the rescaleFactor.

I also think making the drill smaller would make more sense. The larger and heavier the craft, the fewer reasons I have not to make it manned. The science drill isn't available until later tiers so it wouldn't be overpowered. There are still EVA reports to give reason to send manned missions after the science drill is unlocked. I think it should be sized for .625 meter probes.

A small drill wouldn't do much other than give you science. Better technology has allowed for larger drills, not smaller, for resource extraction. Basically you don't miniaturize resource extraction. Time-wise, smaller drills are far less efficient. Smaller holes = smaller amounts of X resource units per unit of time. With the sheer amount of rocket parts needed to build things you couldn't even build one more habitat piece of a base on a planet/moon in a single year if you're just out there with a drill bit as thin as a kerbals' arm. It would just be a novelty toy.

If you want a magic ore machine just ship full rockets from Kerbin. It's faster than a tiny drill.

If it helps, I did some troubleshooting as best I could in-game and it seems that when I have anything radially attached to the printer, it fails to stay connected. When I have anything attached to it, it *almost* always fails. I only had it not fail once in about a dozen tries, and I could not recreate the circumstances.

Well... it helps me confirm that I still don't know where the problem is coming from :confused:

I also think making the drill smaller would make more sense. The larger and heavier the craft, the fewer reasons I have not to make it manned. The science drill isn't available until later tiers so it wouldn't be overpowered. There are still EVA reports to give reason to send manned missions after the science drill is unlocked. I think it should be sized for .625 meter probes.

I think he was asking for a smaller EL ore drill. A smaller surface sample drill would make sense, I agree, but that's low priority for me at the moment until I can get these other problems fixed.

Well... it helps me confirm that I still don't know where the problem is coming from :confused:

I think he was asking for a smaller EL ore drill. A smaller surface sample drill would make sense, I agree, but that's low priority for me at the moment until I can get these other problems fixed.

BahamutoD, I can tell you that if you put struts and us KJR it doesn't help. The struts stay on the 3d printer but flex like tight ropes between parts. I believe its a physics engine problem I would suggest a part rebuild from scratch or a Unity import rebuild to see if it clears up.

I realize I mistyped a bit. What I meant to say was:

If it helps, I did some troubleshooting as best I could in-game and it seems that when I have nothing radially attached to the printer, it always stays connected. When I have anything attached to it, it *almost* always fails. I only had it not fail once in about a dozen tries, and I could not recreate the circumstances.

So the problem seems totally related to radially attaching things to the printer.

To fix my problem (it was in orbit around Gilly) I EVA'd all my Kerbals, deleted the craft, rebuilt it from blueprints without the radially attached stuff (it should be fine, it was rcs thrusters and landing legs. But I'm landing on Gilly so I think I can do fine with the others :)), and hyperedited that fixed craft into the original craft's orbit. Then I got my guys on the new craft. Not the best fix but at least I can keep recording videos now :)

UPDATE: My new printer still freaked out under acceleration and flew off the ship. However, I was able to temporarily fix the problem by jumping to another ship (outside my ship's physics window) and then back. The printer was back and didn't fly away again, even through descent and landing.

NEW BUG: However, now it's not working. I click "activate rocket parts converter" and it doesn't start. The text doesn't change and I get no rocket parts. My drills (baha drills) are drilling fine, filling my ore bucket. The furnace is chugging away and converting the ore to metal. However, the printer is not working.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I'll try a rebuild/reimport. 5thHorseman, were there any relevant entries in the debug log?

My debug log is full of crap from the two dozen mods I run, and I really couldn't find anything relevant.

I created a new, mostly stock folder for ksp and put this mod, elp, and Kethane in it. Then I made a very simple ship (here's the craft file) in the SPH with some things attached to the printer radially and launched it. The only thing that went wrong was the cockpit fell off but I'm pretty sure it's the same bug as before, because before it was in the middle of a ship and the problem began with the printer getting disconnected on both ends.

Here's the entire log from going to to leaving the runway:

[WRN 20:41:44.681] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPH to FLIGHT =====================
[WRN 20:41:45.093] [Kethane] Saving settings
[LOG 20:41:45.298] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'MapOverlay' from assembly 'Kethane'
[LOG 20:41:45.299] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ScaledSpaceFix' from assembly 'Kethane'
[WRN 20:41:46.356] [Kethane] Saving settings
[LOG 20:41:46.532] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'MapOverlay' from assembly 'Kethane'
[LOG 20:41:46.533] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ScaledSpaceFix' from assembly 'Kethane'
[LOG 20:41:46.569] ------------------- initializing flight mode... ------------------
[LOG 20:41:46.573] Loading ship from file: D:/KSP_0235_stock/KSP_Data/../saves/baha test/Ships/SPH/Auto-Saved Ship.craft
[LOG 20:41:46.628] Printer Test loaded!
[LOG 20:41:52.032] putting ship to ground: 3.39143
[LOG 20:41:52.036] [Printer Test]: Ready to Launch - waiting to start physics...
[LOG 20:41:52.042] Crewmember Jebediah Kerman assigned to Mk1 Cockpit, seat # 0 (crew seat index: 0)
[LOG 20:41:52.044] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Printer Test ----------------------
[LOG 20:41:52.046] setting new dominant body: Kerbin
FlightGlobals.mainBody: Kerbin
[LOG 20:41:52.048] Reference Frame: Rotating
[LOG 20:41:52.062] stage manager resuming...
[LOG 20:41:52.064] Vessel assembly complete!
[LOG 20:41:52.064] stage manager starting...
[LOG 20:41:52.065] all systems started
[EXC 20:41:52.141] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Kethane, Version=1.0.5122.32700, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
[LOG 20:41:56.043] [VesselSpawner]: No new objects this time. (Odds are 1:2)
[LOG 20:41:56.195] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Printer Test
[LOG 20:41:56.702] Flight State Captured
[LOG 20:41:56.703] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 20:41:56.708] Game State Saved as persistent
[LOG 20:41:56.879] [Progress Node Reached]: Orbit
[LOG 20:41:56.881] [Progress Node Reached]: Sun
[LOG 20:41:56.881] [Progress Node Complete]: Orbit
[LOG 20:41:57.792] [Printer Test]: ground contact! - error: -0.244m
[LOG 20:41:57.793] Unpacking Printer Test
[LOG 20:42:06.382] Game Paused!
[LOG 20:42:08.036] Flight State Captured
[LOG 20:42:08.037] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 20:42:08.037] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 20:42:08.042] Game State Saved as persistent
[WRN 20:42:08.043] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to SPACECENTER =====================

You're right, no useful info in there, but I found out where the problem is and will begin trying to fix it.

The issue, for some reason, is with my animation module. For now, delete or comment out this section in the part.cfg:

MODULE {
name = LoopedKConverterAnimation
DeployingAnimationName = deploying
ConvertingAnimationName = writing2
}

The part will still work, just without any animation. (Unless the problem is somewhere else and it was just one of those random times when it didn't fall apart when I tested it).

You're right, no useful info in there, but I found out where the problem is and will begin trying to fix it.

The issue, for some reason, is with my animation module. For now, delete or comment out this section in the part.cfg:

MODULE {
name = LoopedKConverterAnimation
DeployingAnimationName = deploying
ConvertingAnimationName = writing2
}

The part will still work, just without any animation. (Unless the problem is somewhere else and it was just one of those random times when it didn't fall apart when I tested it).

That worked for both problems. The one I've landed on Gilly is happily making rocket parts, and the ones flying to Jool and Duna don't spontaneously disassemble themselves in flight (no disassemble!)

Thanks for the quick fix, hope you find a more permanent one soon, and again thanks for the parts. They truly are fantastic.

The issue, for some reason, is with my animation module.

Removing this fixed a different problem for me.

When I tried to release a ship containing the 3D printer from the orbital dock it would stop doing things like switching vessel, quicksave/load, return to space center, flight controls.

I was getting a Null Reference Exception, but I don't know who (KSP or a mod) was reporting that.

This is just a replacement/addon parts pack for the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-23-5-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v4-1

Baha, beyond the animation fix, are you working on any additional parts for EPL (or any other mod)? Your work is so exquisite, and I'd love to see more :)

Baha, beyond the animation fix, are you working on any additional parts for EPL (or any other mod)? Your work is so exquisite, and I'd love to see more :)

And any chance of rolling your parts into the ELP mod? I was on the verge of abandoning it because the parts were so ugly, and then I found this. So thanks for the beautiful work. :)

I was going to stick it in the update but it might be a little while till I can get everythin else fixed.

Let me know if that worked.

Apologies for the delay, my mod-pack hasn't been working so i wasn't able to test this until now; that fix seems to work quite well, the parts containers sit very statically now; thanks for the fix!

I seem to have run into an issue with the 3d Printer.

Short version, when I try to launch a payload with the 3D printer in the stack the rocket undergoes a RUDE at roughly 6km. Without the 3D printer in the stack, the payload launches just fine.

YouTube video of good launch, adding the 3D Printer, and the subsequent bad launch (starts @ 4:15).

Not sure where to go with further narrowing down the problem.

Edited by VaporTrail

I seem to have run into an issue with the 3d Printer.

Short version, when I try to launch a payload with the 3D printer in the stack the rocket undergoes a RUDE at roughly 6km. Without the 3D printer in the stack, the payload launches just fine.

YouTube video of good launch, adding the 3D Printer, and the subsequent bad launch (starts @ 4:15).

Not sure where to go with further narrowing down the problem.

Ahem. If you go back 9 posts from yours you'd see the solution :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.