Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

Isn't FAR support just a matter of moving the CoM further forwards? If it wants to fly backwards, it means that it's tail heavy, so it should be made more front-heavy to work.

If it was a rocket, you'd be right. But it isn't. It's a plane. And wings are implemented in FAR in a rather complex way. I won't settle for a half-arsed "it flies well enough". It's either full FAR support, or nothing. Simple as that.

In other news, I managed to get the SRBs to work. I think I'll release a new version this evening. Don't expect a revolution, but the SRBs will be nicer. There will be a performance drop, but it's small enough not to matter too much.

Yeah. Great news Dragoon. Will the SRBs work as planned? I mean they will not bumb the SSME anymore?

Btw to modeling that airlock. I will try it just don't rely on me much. I do not want to dissapoint you or something. I will try to find some free time to model it. But it will take some time. Thank you for understanding.

OK, an update, the new SRBs will most likely be out today. They're not perfect, but they separate properly and look somewhat better. They do drag performance down, though, so be warned.

It's done and uploading! Changelog:

Updated ET - now the correct size.

Updated SRBs - now with custom particles and completely new models, courtesy of Piwa and 1096Bimu.

Updated .craft files - replace the ones you have.

Added a new SRB nosecone and separation motors.

Added SRB smoke and particles.

Great news.

I am going to test it right away.

So I see there is this launch pad smoke effect right ?

Thank you guys for you hard work.

Really big thanks.

Hope I will contribute in some time too :)

It's done and uploading! Changelog:

Updated ET - now the correct size.

Updated SRBs - now with custom particles and completely new models, courtesy of Piwa and 1096Bimu.

Updated .craft files - replace the ones you have.

Added a new SRB nosecone and separation motors.

Added SRB smoke and particles.

Hello, I love the new SRB effects! KSP is bogged down slightly only if I look top-down, when the full trail of smoke comes into view. For the rest , it seems fine, although I can't open the new .craft files, not even in sandbox mode. It still says some parts are missing (it wouldn't be such a problem, if only I knew the proper way to attach the SRBs and their separator rockets). Also I saw you gave the aerodynamic parts, the SRBs and the engines proper tech tree integration, couldn't somebody do it for the whole set of parts, so we don't have to do it ourselves every time an update comes out?

I would also like to share an experiment i've been working on this week. I decided that this spacecraft needed a proper IVA, I told myself "how hard could it be to just convert an existing one?"

I started out with the cockpit from the Space Shuttle Ultra for Orbiter 2010, which is extremely detailed, and managed to import it into 3ds for editing. A very finely-modelled environment, with a whopping 150000+ polys and 60-something materials.

Lots of detail just had to go away, all the switch guards, most 3d switches in the back panels and some overhead, some panels in the left/right rear sections, hard to see anyway.

Still I was left with some 16000 polys in toto, which isn't unreasonable but poses a problem with texturing. Exporting a single texture per mesh, as Unity requires, is possible but since it's suicide to do it manually, and 3ds is a bit stupid at doing this, I had to use large images, to keep the individual textures at a reasonable level. All this to say that it's a lot lower-quality than it used to be, but that's the only way I managed to make it work. The final step was to add RPMs, HUDs, a couple of buttons and two kerbals.

This is the result:

cxxv.png

tf7t.png

4q75.png

zt30.png

Apologies for the Mechjeb windows, I didn't think about closing them before screening.

As you can see, only two seats on the deck at the moment, but adding two more would take no time. There's no lower deck, though, and there probabily won't be, since I'm a total n00b at modelling beyond cutting and moving things (that is, short of finding some other existing model).

Still, I' m pleased with the results, as I began without even knowing whether it would even work, but here it is, Tell me what you think and if I can improve it :)

I'm not sure I can release it yet, I should ask permission to the creators of the original model before

Hello, I love the new SRB effects! KSP is bogged down slightly only if I look top-down, when the full trail of smoke comes into view. For the rest , it seems fine, although I can't open the new .craft files, not even in sandbox mode. It still says some parts are missing (it wouldn't be such a problem, if only I knew the proper way to attach the SRBs and their separator rockets). Also I saw you gave the aerodynamic parts, the SRBs and the engines proper tech tree integration, couldn't somebody do it for the whole set of parts, so we don't have to do it ourselves every time an update comes out?

I would also like to share an experiment i've been working on this week. I decided that this spacecraft needed a proper IVA, I told myself "how hard could it be to just convert an existing one?"

I started out with the cockpit from the Space Shuttle Ultra for Orbiter 2010, which is extremely detailed, and managed to import it into 3ds for editing. A very finely-modelled environment, with a whopping 150000+ polys and 60-something materials.

Lots of detail just had to go away, all the switch guards, most 3d switches in the back panels and some overhead, some panels in the left/right rear sections, hard to see anyway.

Still I was left with some 16000 polys in toto, which isn't unreasonable but poses a problem with texturing. Exporting a single texture per mesh, as Unity requires, is possible but since it's suicide to do it manually, and 3ds is a bit stupid at doing this, I had to use large images, to keep the individual textures at a reasonable level. All this to say that it's a lot lower-quality than it used to be, but that's the only way I managed to make it work. The final step was to add RPMs, HUDs, a couple of buttons and two kerbals.

This is the result:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/21/cxxv.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/31/tf7t.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/812/4q75.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/46/zt30.png

Apologies for the Mechjeb windows, I didn't think about closing them before screening.

As you can see, only two seats on the deck at the moment, but adding two more would take no time. There's no lower deck, though, and there probabily won't be, since I'm a total n00b at modelling beyond cutting and moving things (that is, short of finding some other existing model).

Still, I' m pleased with the results, as I began without even knowing whether it would even work, but here it is, Tell me what you think and if I can improve it :)

I'm not sure I can release it yet, I should ask permission to the creators of the original model before

That's beautiful! I can't comprehend how much that would have taken the original creators to make! It would be awesome if the IVA was that.

-snip-

This is the result:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/21/cxxv.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/31/tf7t.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/812/4q75.png

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/46/zt30.png

-snip-

Wow, that's beautiful. No, I haven't got anything else to say.

Lovely. I want this. :) Do you think you could add some functional switches and gauges, like in FASA Lunar Module? Try to at least rig some of them for possible future use, a whole lot could probably be done as props, not as "fused" cockpit elements. When you're done, send it to me, along with the links to the source material. I'll work out the license and add it if possible. Oh, and try to get more Kerbals in there. The Shuttle seats 7. 4 of them are on the flight deck, so I'd like to have at least that many. Further 3 are on the middeck, it'd be awesome if you somehow implemented this as well (into the same IVA, preferably), but no problem if you don't.

As for the missing parts, I'll look into it. Be sure to download all the required mods. It's possible that I goofed up with the .craft files, so try downloading recommended mods as well (HullCamVDS and FASA, notably). That should do it.

Lovely. I want this. :) Do you think you could add some functional switches and gauges, like in FASA Lunar Module? Try to at least rig some of them for possible future use, a whole lot could probably be done as props, not as "fused" cockpit elements. When you're done, send it to me, along with the links to the source material. I'll work out the license and add it if possible. Oh, and try to get more Kerbals in there. The Shuttle seats 7. 4 of them are on the flight deck, so I'd like to have at least that many. Further 3 are on the middeck, it'd be awesome if you somehow implemented this as well (into the same IVA, preferably), but no problem if you don't.

As for the missing parts, I'll look into it. Be sure to download all the required mods. It's possible that I goofed up with the .craft files, so try downloading recommended mods as well (HullCamVDS and FASA, notably). That should do it.

Hi, thank you :) I already added the two new seats, and fixed a couple of textures. I think i could learn how to create a flickable switch prop, and probabily work out how to assign a function to it. However, apart from a switch for the landing gear, one for the SAS, what else could be implemented? many actual Space Shuttle switches correspond to functions that of course can't be recreated.

The only thing i'll do now, I think, is isolate the switches as a single prop and add them to the cockpit , as you suggested. About gauges, apart from the fact that there aren't that many in the cockpit itself, as most is displayed by the monitors, I'm really clueless about how to create them, so that'll take longer.

Also, I already sent a message to the developer of SS Ultra, SiameseCat , but as of now he hasn't replied yet.

Well, you could do cockpit lighting via an IVA switch (like in the LEM), perhaps also a few switches assigned to action groups. That's about it for now, but when RPM adds more functionality, it'd be nice to already have switches for it in place.

Very well, but wouldn't it be better to integrate the function with the cockpit? I mean: is there an actual switch in the space shuttle cockpit labeled "light switch" ? Maybe I should refer to Space Shuttle Mission 2007 to find it, so I don't put the light control somewhere at random

Wau awesome work. I was planning to do something simmilar after this airlock. But this looks great even better than in my own vision I have in my head. Nice keep up the good work guys. I am happy that this mod has got a second wind...

For the NRO version, you need FASA, ScanSat and HullCamVDS. I'll look at the Plain version and check, it's possible that something from FASA slipped by.

EDIT: Found the problem. RealChutes! I was testing a simple drogue chute and forgot to take it out. It'll be fixed once I finish moving to Windows 7 (today or tomorrow). In the meantime, you may install RealChutes mod.

Edited by Guest

For the NRO version, you need FASA, ScanSat and HullCamVDS. I'll look at the Plain version and check, it's possible that something from FASA slipped by.

EDIT: Found the problem. RealChutes! I was testing a simple drogue chute and forgot to take it out. It'll be fixed once I finish moving to Windows 7 (today or tomorrow). In the meantime, you may install RealChutes mod.

Thanks alot, :D

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Hi Folks anyone still having craft file issues with the new release I have recreated the Space Shuttle - Plain craft file you can get it here http://www./view/87duzp74eriyi6j/Space_Shuttle_-_Plain_6_0_1.craft its orientated correctly and centered on the launch pad download it if you need it. The file is named Space Shuttle - Plain 6.0.1 you can view the file prior to downloading to check whether its dodgy.

VG

Edited by Virtualgenius

Hi Folks anyone still having craft file issues with the new release I have recreated the Space Shuttle - Plain craft file you can get it here http://www./view/87duzp74eriyi6j/Space_Shuttle_-_Plain_6_0_1.craft its orientated correctly and centered on the launch pad download it if you need it. The file is named Space Shuttle - Plain 6.0.1 you can view the file prior to downloading to check whether its dodgy.

VG

As dragon told us, all you need is RealChute.