[0.23] [Horizon Aeronautics] Zenit-3SLB [v1.2] updated 3/9/14

stubbles

Yeah, the wiki's config page on the matter is completely wrong, apparently. So now I have to go through similar parts in the Squad folder and see what they are set to. =\

Yeah the wiki needs some work, good idea looking through squad folders, it's what I've been doing to the parts!

Updated to v1.2, OP links updated.

- Fixed career integration bugs

- Added Extra Large fairing for wide/tall payloads

- Added new launchpad smoke FX

- Added surface attach nodes for stage1/2 fuel tanks

- Re-added VAB ship file

- Re-strutted ship using default struts instead of KW Heavy Struts

Excellent stubbles, incidentally I had no problems whatever without struts when using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

Talking about KJR, I used to think that it would be a bad idea due to how it would take away from what ksp is, but after getting it I can tell you that it is most definitely amazing and that rockets still explode with style but not when launching long rockets!

I approve! (GET IT :) )

I've been waiting on this launch vehicle for a LONG time. It is a beautiful machine. I just have one question. Those .ogg sound files.. will they work for other engines? What I've been doin in the past is taking the KW rocketry sound files, making a folder with the name of the engines part.cfg and dumping the engine start and loop files in. Then putting that folder in with the engine and making the appropriate cfg edit. And that's worked so far. But those are .wav or mp3 files. Not sure exactly, but they can be played in Windows media player. These .ogg files cannot.

So will they work with this process?

Edited by Motokid600

Those .ogg sound files.. will they work for other engines?

Definitely! ogg vorbis files are the same as wav or mp3, they are just a different compression. They should work for anything :)

I've moved everything in the squad folder, moved the FX into the FX folder and the plug in in the plug in folder

I'm running ksp on mac I dunno if that might be the reason

Ooh yeah, that's not right. The SmokeScreen and HorizonAeronautics folder should both be placed in Kerbal Space Program\GameData folder, not inside GameData\Squad. Just move those folders up one level and it should work fine.

I've moved everything in the squad folder, moved the FX into the FX folder and the plug in in the plug in folder

I'm running ksp on mac I dunno if that might be the reason

You should leave the folder structure as it was in the compressed file. Meaning, in your installation, under Gamedata folder you should have the SmokeScreen folder as it is, and also the HorizonAeronautics folder. Inside that the other 3 folders FX, Parts and Sounds.

Theres also the craft file inside the Ship folder, that you can copy/move inside your Ships/VAB folder.

EDIT: Stubbles beat me to it. Insert Ninja pic here!

I am currently investigating a couple of issues in KER when using the engine parts from this mod. It appears that allowing the electric charge of an engine to be tweakable when it has a capacity of zero causes a problem when you open the tweak window in the VAB.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Adjusting the slider in the tweak panel makes it change to 0.0/0.0 and KER starts calculating correctly (but see below) again.

I have worked around this in my updated version of KER but the problem should really be fixed in the parts as the NaN/0.0 showing in the tweak panel looks very dodgy. None of the stock engines that have 0 electric charge capacity allow the value to be tweaked so it should be fixable by a simple tweak in the part configs...

There is also another issue in KER with engines that have multiple engine modules where it only counts one of them for the thrust and isp calculations. I will be fixing this over the next few days.

The smokscreen plugin causes a lot of lag (only when launching, then it's fine), are they planning to optimize it?

It has to do with your KSP graphics settings. Running high antialiasing for instance will slow things down, since it's alpha sorting all of the particles and then applying AA to the transparency. It can't really be optimized more than it is without causing huge gaps in the particle emission (basically you'll get individual puffs flying around). Trying lowering your KSP graphics settings just a smidge and it should help a lot. I had everything maxed out and it slowed down a ton but now it's 60fps solid and still looks great, just by lowering a few things

Padishar - I'll get that fixed in the next update. Thanks!

I guess you'd just get no smoke at all, and probably just an error line in the KSP log saying that part of the config points to something it doesn't (now) understand (without the plugin)

Since the other engine effects use KSP's own 0.23/FX system I can't imagine they'd be affected

It has to do with your KSP graphics settings. Running high antialiasing for instance will slow things down, since it's alpha sorting all of the particles and then applying AA to the transparency. It can't really be optimized more than it is without causing huge gaps in the particle emission (basically you'll get individual puffs flying around). Trying lowering your KSP graphics settings just a smidge and it should help a lot. I had everything maxed out and it slowed down a ton but now it's 60fps solid and still looks great, just by lowering a few things

Padishar - I'll get that fixed in the next update. Thanks!

My graphics settings are ok, it's just that the timer is running green but then it goes yellow when it's near the launchpad, actually i think i had the rocket the wrong way on the launchpad (the smoke wasn't coming out of the sides), because now it's working without lagging, hmm odd, oh well!

After a couple of launches I feel that these parts remove a critical and fun part of KSP -the Lego like glee of customization and building.

After a bit more playing, I have to disagree with you here. I've integrated these parts with all kinds of others, with great results. The Blok D fits on anything as a whole, Bobcat's engines fit on these fuel tanks, etc.

Im having a great deal of trouble with the third stage. The rocket works great up until then, but once the stage ignites the rocket flips back violently. Im using FAR and it seems as if its not recognizing the fairing. Granted... the current payload is only 5.5 tons. Im using just the third stage and an SRB under it for sub-orbital flights. Is the payload simply.. too light? Because i actually had to add power to the third stage with radial engines to get the TWR above 1.

Im having a great deal of trouble with the third stage. The rocket works great up until then, but once the stage ignites the rocket flips back violently. Im using FAR and it seems as if its not recognizing the fairing. Granted... the current payload is only 5.5 tons. Im using just the third stage and an SRB under it for sub-orbital flights. Is the payload simply.. too light? Because i actually had to add power to the third stage with radial engines to get the TWR above 1.

Yeah that light payload might be the problem, also have you got the rocket high enough out the atmosphere before using it? because that 3rd stage without the shroud causes massive amounts of drag

Edit: Actually yeah that 3rd stages drag is probably what's causing that flip, and the third stage is really only meant for orbital manoeuvres, it's not meant to have other engines on it (maybe that could be increasing the problem?)

• 2 weeks later...

hello again,

I would like to use the smoke effect of liftoff (which is amazing) on all my engines, is that possible? if so how do I do it?

I assume you would have to edit the .cfg file, I tried but with no success (I have zero knowledge or understanding of coding).

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.