NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

The thing with the higher sea level Isp than vacuum is in all likelyhood a mistake. In Scott Manley's video, HarvesteR showed the engine off on his own laptop, and there it was the other way around (with the higher Isp in vacuum). And he specifically stated that "it's super efficient in space if you manage to get it up there". As that video was recorded at GDC just a few days ago, I am fairly sure that that was the very latest internal build whereas the youtubers and streamers had older preview builds. And on that engine someone simply screwed up the Isp's. It's not a hard to make mistake, since in the part.cfg files the order is counterintuitive - you're supposed to list the higher vacuum number first, then the lower ASL number, but it's so easy to flip it since the game always shows ASL first, then vacuum.

Strange how the advanced engine as lower Isp in vacuum than ASl, since it seems to be used as a second stage motor.

But why? 2500 kN for a second stage??

(Very Kerbal, I know.)

In the first screenshot of this thread, isn't that the engine in the middle of the first stage?

EDIT: if that was true, it would put the thrust of the SLS core at 5700 kN :0.0:

Edited by Francesco

The nozzle of the advanced engine is twice the size of the mainsail! Considering that the mainsail has a thrust of 1500kN, 1200kN for the advanced engine would be very underpowered.

The thrust is mostly dependent on the size of the combustion chamber, not the nozzle. The larger the nozzle the higher the exhaust velocity of the propellant.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Built my own SLS. :) At least 0.23.5 will let me reduce the part count!

87zqDnp.png

The thrust is mostly dependent on the size of the combustion chamber, not the nozzle. The larger the nozzle the higher the exhaust velocity of the propellant.

Even so, the engine is meant to represent the F-1 engines off the Saturn V. Making it less powerful than the mainsail would defeat the whole point of it.

SLS!? Who wants 0.23.5 for SLS? I want it so I can make the Constellation Programme! (The Ares V and SLS are almost identical anyway, and those SRB's look like they would make a great Ares I.) Also, the advanced engine is meant to represent a gigantic version of the J-2X, the mainsail is more similar to the F-1 than the new engine.

Edited by Deathsoul097

In Squad's defense, if they release a windows executable with any bugs they will be hit with thousands of screaming Steam users posting negative comments all over the internet. That would seriously harm the game's reputation.

NOT in Squad's defense, if they are worried about above, then they have sold too many alpha testing positions to the wrong type of people. Steam is also to blame for encouraging this model.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.