H-O-R-S-E Challenge Game: Rebirth

If you can use electric charge and wheels, what's to stop you from just making a rover and driving it around Kerbin?

It would take so long that somone else would have won the challenge before you are half way around kerbin.

If you can use electric charge and wheels, what's to stop you from just making a rover and driving it around Kerbin?

The challenge isn't to outsmart the person who sets the challenge by looking for loopholes. The challenge is to do the challenge.

It's supposed to just be the first person who replicates your stunt
Ah I see, well, I'll update the original then!
Thankyou zarakon, I was trying not to make too much of a big deal out of the 24 hour thing, but yes: it's whomever replicates the feat first.

And OhTehNoes: That one's a doozy!

Still doesn't beat my challenge...

Claw's entry is the best so far, but he didn't come close to beating my time...

I'm still a bit confused. And sorry, I don't mean to be difficult and I don't mean to bypass the challenge by looking for loopholes.

Anyway, does this qualify?

lI1Wiax.jpg

Congratulations, Claw. You have beaten the challenge and may post your own.

SpaceK531, ttnarg: Unfortunatly, OhTehNoes specificially stated a faster infiniglider than his was required, so you have not earnt the right to post a challenge as yet.

Holo: Actually, finding the loopholes in the description was one of the more fun things from the original thread. If it isn't banned by the text of the challenge, or the standing rules, it is allowed.

Regarding your confusion, Claw: The standing rules are that the first challenger to complete your own stunt wins, however in this specific instance, OhTehNoes specified it had to be faster than his own entry (which he had made quite short: a difficult challenge! Well done, by the way).

Your first entry would have been acceptable and won if that rule had not been included/enforced. The loophole comment from Holo was (i think) referring to someone stating they could drive across the surface of Kerbin instead of using RCS to launch in the (invalid) challenge from SpaceK531.

Edited by kahlzun

We seem to be getting caught up in the 'abuse of glitches' category. Can we try to move it back towards more accessable stuff? Ie: land on Minmus with a RAPIER SSTO or something more accessible to people who may not be familiar with the glitches? Or at least, give a brief explanation on how your glitch is meant to function (like Claw)

Obviously, Claw, your challenge has been posted, but whomever completes it, please take the above into consideration..

Edited by kahlzun

We seem to be getting caught up in the 'abuse of glitches' category. Can we try to move it back towards more accessable stuff? Ie: land on Minmus with a RAPIER SSTO or something more accessible to people who may not be familiar with the glitches? Or at least, give a brief explanation on how your glitch is meant to function (like Claw)

Obviously, Claw, your challenge has been posted, but whomever completes it, please take the above into consideration..

or just, you know, do a real challenge and not abuse glitches and call it something worthwhile

or just, you know, do a real challenge and not abuse glitches and call it something worthwhile

Okay. My challenge has been deleted. I give up my challenge and whomever would like can post. Or however the challenge replacement rules work.

Well, now I feel bad as my intent wasn't to kill the thread, nor hijack it with unworthy challenges. So perhaps, in an attempt to remove the drama and return to challenges, I'll try to post another.

As far as I can tell, this is all in accordance with the original rules.

THE TASK: So to borrow from an earlier post, the task is to beat 80km of ground distance coverage using Mono Propellant as the propulsion source.

BWBCW3Y.jpg

RULES:

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm sure there's a loophole. But the intent is to use monopro.

- Must takeoff from KSC runway or launch pad. (I don't care if it's a plane, rocket, or some other thing you can dream up.)

- Use monopro as the propulsion fuel, and thruster blocks or Linear RCS ports as the engines.

- No limit on amount of monopro or engines. (I was going to limit to 350 monopro, but go nuts.)

- All stock, except MJ/KER or other similar autopilot/engineering aids that don't add propulsion. (Mine uses MJ to show stats, I have no idea if it can fly this thing.)

- Manned or unmanned is fine.

So, for example: Yes, you can have electricity on your craft, but it cannot be used for propulsion. I don't really care what kind of wheels you use on the craft, but if you're using them to propel your craft forward, then you're not using monopro as the propulsion source. No kraken drives, infiniglide, etc., etc...

Also, it abuses no glitches that I know of. In my opinion it's rather simple, but hopefully gives some enjoyment as there are a couple minor things to figure out. I also made an RCS rocket, as well as an undisclosed craft that made it over 90km. So there are lots of ways to get it done.

I have completed the monopropellant challenge! I designed a plane that traveled 97,603 metres on monopropellant. Here are the screenshots for proof:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

New challenge:

VAB Climber

Design a machine that can climb to the top of the VAB without flying. It is suggested to climb up the side.

Note: You will almost certainly need mods for this

I apologize for the missing/glitched parts in the screenshots

Took ~40 minutes. I did this a few weeks ago.

New challenge:

VAB Climber

Design a machine that can climb to the top of the VAB without flying. It is suggested to climb up the side.

Note: You will almost certainly need mods for this

I did this with stock. I used a basic jet to keep it stuck to the wall, then climbed with wheels. :D

It didn't fly, but I know the jet leaves the VTOL possibility open. So I leave it up to you if it qualifies.

V8sqzRg.jpg

I'll call it valid, especially since it is only stock. How long did it take?

Yay! :D

How long to build it or how long to get up the side? This is the third crawler design I tried. The first two I tried to have horizontal "ground" oriented wheels with a vertical "wall" oriented wheels. Those things flexed too much and were hard to steer.

Anyway, for this design it took me around 30 seconds to get up the wall. Although it took me probably 5 or 6 tries though. Turns out those little windows are actually recessed and catch onto the wheels. Past that it requires some coordinated wheel/torque steering. Plus I had to time turning off the jet engine at the right time to keep from flinging it off the building. hahaha

Since it's my turn, I'll leave it open for someone to post another challenge again. :D

I did this with stock. I used a basic jet to keep it stuck to the wall, then climbed with wheels. :D

It didn't fly, but I know the jet leaves the VTOL possibility open. So I leave it up to you if it qualifies.

V8sqzRg.jpg

That's brilliant! I wonder if something like that (using a rocket engine instead of a jet engine) could work as a "Mohole exploration device"

Well this thead seems to be with out a challange again so let me suggest one.

An anti space lobby group has manage to pass a law banning all all space craft inside Kerbin atmosphere (below 70km). To over turn this law we will need to get some support for space flight by planing a flag on a moon (any moon you can chose which one).

How can we did this with out any space craft? Well there a loop hole in this new law. If your only using one solid boost at any one time then the craft is technically class as a firework and is alowed under this new law.

Getting back to Kerbin is possable but is not needed is not a requirement for this challenge.

tl;dr: Plant a flag on a moon. While your under 70km you can only use solids and only have a max of one solid engine active at any one time. Above 70km anything goes.

Tip: You might need more then one launch with docking in orbit. Good luck.

I win!

I dont know why but imgur messed up the order of the pictures

HMM now for me to post a challenge...... what should it be?

OOO simple... You guys see that plane in the last few screen shots/ thats right land a plane on the mun with nothing but the rapiers and the nerva,

no mech jeb ether!

here are some pics of my plane'

Edited by Tidus Klein

Just a single rapier and no LV-N. I hope that counts.

Challenge if accepted: Build a space station in orbit by docking sections from at least 4 separate launches:

1. A hab module which can house at least 8 Kerbals. It must be able to return and land safely on Kerbin under its own power in an emergency.

2. A science module including a mobile processing lab, science jr, mystery goo, thermometer, gravmax, antenna and power source.

3. A crew transfer and resupply vessel with space for at least 3 Kerbals and 4 tonnes of extra fuel (e.g. 360 liquid + 440 oxidizer).

4. Something else to give a purpose to your station. Go wild!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.