Jebretary - Automatic Version Control (backups) for craft and saves [v0.4.0]

I just installed Jebretary; been looking at it for awhile. It is very slick; I'll let you know how use goes. I did notice one thing: the "launch this installation" button at the top of the interface launches the x64 version. Is there a way to make it default to the x86 version?

EDIT: Another feedback. Jebretary doesn't really work at all with Kerbal Construction Time, maybe because the launch button is not the default KSP launch button. I had two crafts that I built, hit the save button in the VAB and not only did they not show up in Jebretary, they weren't saved at all in my saves directory. I'm not sure if that's Jebretary's issue or an issue with KCT. I'll have to test more to find out.

EDIT2: It's Jebretary that's preventing my ships from saving. Ran KSP without it and they saved fine. I'm sure this is ultimately a conflict with KCT; just thought you should be aware.

yes currently if there are both x64 and x86 .exe's it will choose the x64 in preference. (I will add a setting option for each install so you can set which one you want).

I've not used KCT (infact, I'd not heard of it before now) but from looking at what it does I think that it would cause a problem for Jebretary. Jebretary assumes that a craft will be written to when you hit save and then waits for there to be a chnage in the persistent file (signifying a launch) before commiting the craft. I guess that KCT affects that process so is confusing Jebretary. I can't understand why Jebretary would be preventing a craft from saving thou, it doesn't lock the directory or anything, infact all the craft checking actions are handed off to git, which is an industry standard tool so I don't think its likely to be cause that.

Have you tried using Jebretary without KCT and seeing what it does?

I shall get KCT and have a look at what it does. Thanks for letting me know about this!

Just received an error log from mhoram;

Jebretary was denied access to its temp cache, this is because it's been installed inside a windows program files folder (it's in D:\Programme\Jebretary, which according to google is the program files folder on the German version of windows).

- make sure it is not installed inside a windows controlled program files folder. You can install it anywhere you like, except "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)", "Programme" or whatever your version of windows calls it). I'd install its either directly on the root (d:\jebretary) of if you have a games folder where you keep your games, then you could put it in there if you don't like clutter on your root.

Thanks for the awesome work, been looking for something like this forever! Just one small "bug": At least for the steam version, KSP has both KSP.exe and KSP_x64.exe in the same directory. Launching the game through the Jerbretary webpage automatically starts the x64 version, which crashes immediately after starting a game on my computer. Maybe include a setting to choose which to start?

Thanks for the awesome work, been looking for something like this forever! Just one small "bug": At least for the steam version, KSP has both KSP.exe and KSP_x64.exe in the same directory. Launching the game through the Jerbretary webpage automatically starts the x64 version, which crashes immediately after starting a game on my computer. Maybe include a setting to choose which to start?

I will add an option for that, Mr Shifty had also pointed out the need for it. It will be part of 0.4.0 which I'm working on now, hope to have that out soon (maybe end of this week (job permitting), probably next week thou).

- make sure it is not installed inside a windows controlled program files folder. You can install it anywhere you like, except "Program Files" (or "Program Files (x86)", "Programme" or whatever your version of windows calls it). I'd install its either directly on the root (d:\jebretary) of if you have a games folder where you keep your games, then you could put it in there if you don't like clutter on your root.

I use D:\Programme for software that does not work with the windows-controlled C:\Program Files

So the problem you mentioned is not the issue for me.

Furthermore Jebretary works for me, its just that I get these annoying Popup-messages.

I tried to narrow the problem down, but was not successful :-(

I use D:\Programme for software that does not work with the windows-controlled C:\Program Files

So the problem you mentioned is not the issue for me.

Furthermore Jebretary works for me, its just that I get these annoying Popup-messages.

I tried to narrow the problem down, but was not successful :-(

is the annoying popup the one that asks you to submit the error log? If Jebretary seems to be working, you can disable that popup from appearing after each error. Go to the front page and click on the "Jebretary settings" link and then under the section for "Show notification of errors" click disable. The error log will still get written to, it just won't tell you each time.

I put that error popup in while things are still being developed and there are still some bugs. I will take it out completely once I'm happy with how its running.

If its a different popup can you take a scr-shot of it and fling it at me? Might help understand this issue more.

Just a quick note to say thanks very much for Jebretary! It's helped me recover from my mistakes more than once :).

Thanks man! And welcome to the forums!

Pleased to hear its doing its job. New version (0.4.0) coming out very soon (this week) which adds several new things including a craft/sub assembly sync feature which I've been waiting for me to add for ages!

is the annoying popup the one that asks you to submit the error log? If Jebretary seems to be working, you can disable that popup from appearing after each error. Go to the front page and click on the "Jebretary settings" link and then under the section for "Show notification of errors" click disable. The error log will still get written to, it just won't tell you each time.

I put that error popup in while things are still being developed and there are still some bugs. I will take it out completely once I'm happy with how its running.

If its a different popup can you take a scr-shot of it and fling it at me? Might help understand this issue more.

Sorry for the late reply.

It is in fact the "submit the error log" popup. And I was able to disable it in the settings menu - thanks for the hint.

Now Jebretary works, but occasionally "an error has occurred" but can be solved by reloading the page.

Oh... 0.4.0 is out.... trying out ... having the same issues as in the previous version.

Seems to be an isolated problem for me - most likely nothing you can fix.

• 2 weeks later...
It`s not a problem, I like the auto-rebuild of parts. Maybe an information display of some sort to let the user know the program is live and running? part count or whatever couyld increment in some way?

I ended up with 8 and a half pages of .... (is that a part counter?) maybe because I run many mods and have a few installs all of which I have been `messing about` with...

Now I know it`s just checking mod parts I`ll let it chug away and check back when it`s done. I`ve been quitting and restarting in the hope that whatever caused it to jam up might clear. Totally the wrong thing to do, hehe.

I keep mentioning jebretary because people keep saying these problems they have and a version control system that keeps everything you ever do ever would solve many of their issues... ;)

EDIT : Upon closer examination of the liquid window I see a lot of "fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD' unknown revision or path not in the working trace"

then it tells me how to separate paths from revisions by using "--"

I`m getting pages and pages of that then maybe 10 will work fine in a row.

any clues?

The error log is small so I`ll copypasta

Jebretary error log

2014-07-03 20:05:26 +0100

Error on Monitor:

undefined method `each' for nil:NilClass

["D:/Jebretary/src/app/models/system.rb:125:in `block in process'", "D:/Jebretary/src/app/models/system.rb:108:in `each'", "D:/Jebretary/src/app/models/system.rb:108:in `process'", "D:/Jebretary/src/app/models/system.rb:47:in `run_monitor'", "D:/Jebretary/src/app/models/system.rb:29:in `run_monitor'"]

================================================================================

some sites suggest it may be a stack overflow, would that make sense here? (I do have a lot of craft over many installations)

Just to inform anyone who has the same error as me, I believe it was caused by me copying a KSP install (to try BTSM) without deleting the git folder which confused git (because it had two copies of what should be unique folders if I understand correctly). I have deleted all my git folders and Jebretary is now rebuilding all its files without issue.

It was a PEBKAC error caused by me not understanding git enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry for that lack of any further developments on this recent;y. I've been focused on another project, KerbalX.com, a craft sharing site that does automatic detection of mods and has mod based search capabilities. The plan is that Jebretary will interface with KerbalX, so you guys can just hit a button in Jerbretary to publish your craft.

I want this!!!! By the gods it would save me sooooo much work.

Any builds for linux?

Jebretary is actually built to run in Linux, when it installs on windows it builds a little mini Linux environment to function in. Although I build and test in Linux I've not written anything to streamline setting it up in Linux (its not too hard thou). You need to install the Ruby programming language and then it will fetch everything else it needs.

I use RVM (ruby version manager) to manage Ruby installs (or you can use the newer (and actually recommended) rbenv). I still use RVM cos it was standard last time I rebuilt my development env, next time I'll switch to rbenv. I don't know rbenv yet but I can tell your the RVM based setup steps;

Install RVM with ruby (Jebretary needs ruby 1.9.3)

$ \curl -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable --ruby=1.9.3

full RVM docs here - http://rvm.io/rvm/install

Install git (if you don't have it already!)

$ sudo apt-get install git

clone Jebretary from github and do one off setup steps to install dependencies and build the database

$ git clone https://github.com/Sujimichi/Jebretary.git
$ cd Jebretary
$ bundle install
$ rake db:create:all
$ RAILS_ENV=production rake db:migrate
$ rake assets:precompile

Ok almost ready to run (yeah sorry this is a bit of a crufty process, I will write a script to do it all)

You have to run two things, the web server and the background monitor.

[table][tr][td]

run web server

$ rails s -e production 

[/td][td]

run the monitor

$ RAILS_ENV=production rake monitor

[/td][/tr][/table]

Both server and monitor are stopped by pressing ctrl+c

If you don't use the "production" flags, then it will run in dev mode which is slower.

If that doesn't work out let me know and I'll try to help.

Edited by katateochi
added missing step to install process

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I followed your instructions for linux installation and chrome just shows up with a redirect loop when I try to open port 3000

rails s -e production just shows up with this over and over again:

Started GET "/" for 127.0.0.1 at 2015-02-04 17:36:36 -0500Processing by WelcomeController#index as HTML
Rendered instances/_form.html.haml (0.9ms)
Rendered welcome/index.html.haml within layouts/application (1.5ms)
Rendered errors/500.html.haml within layouts/application (1.6ms)
Redirected to http://0.0.0.0:3000/
Completed 302 Found in 9ms (ActiveRecord: 0.0ms)

Edited by peachoftree

Having some issues getting it running on linux. https://github.com/Sujimichi/Jebretary/issues/3
I followed your instructions for linux installation and chrome just shows up with a redirect loop snip*

err sorry guys, but I seem to have missed a step out of the Linux install process. You need to cd into the Jebretary folder and run

rake assets:precompile

That should sort it. I'll update the linux instructions now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, will jebretary get a 1.0 update?

I normally dislike the "Does it 1.0" type questions in the forums, but this one I'll join up with, since as of 1.0 I'm seriously going to start crafting (yeah, right), and I'd love to get a better handle on keeping/migrating my craft sandbox mode to career, etc.

Consider this a humble request to verify the workings of Jebretary in 1.0, katateochi! :D

So, will jebretary get a 1.0 update?
I normally dislike the "Does it 1.0" type questions in the forums, but this one I'll join up with, since as of 1.0 I'm seriously going to start crafting (yeah, right), and I'd love to get a better handle on keeping/migrating my craft sandbox mode to career, etc.

Consider this a humble request to verify the workings of Jebretary in 1.0, katateochi! :D

Yes Jebretary will get an update (I know I keep promising this, but I'm stretched pretty thin atm and KerbalX gets most of my "free time" dev attention). Jebretary does need some love though, but not in order to make it work with 1.0, it still works in 1.0. Because it's totally standalone it doesn't really get effected by updates (unless they change how craft files are structured). But it does need an update to improve it's part detection logic, fix a few bugs and generally make it run better. I will try to give it some tlc, but I can't promise anything right away (*shakes fist at work).

Thanks for being patient guys! If you do have any really serious issues that mean you can't use it then do let me know and I'll prioritize those.

Yes Jebretary will get an update (I know I keep promising this, but I'm stretched pretty thin atm and KerbalX gets most of my "free time" dev attention). Jebretary does need some love though, but not in order to make it work with 1.0, it still works in 1.0. Because it's totally standalone it doesn't really get effected by updates (unless they change how craft files are structured). But it does need an update to improve it's part detection logic, fix a few bugs and generally make it run better. I will try to give it some tlc, but I can't promise anything right away (*shakes fist at work).

Thanks for being patient guys! If you do have any really serious issues that mean you can't use it then do let me know and I'll prioritize those.

You're more than welcome to take your time. It's a fairly cool set of tools, and worth waiting to get the most of them. :) -- I did notice that it didn't "upgrade" my main kSP install. Should I just delete and re-detect? I've wiped the game/saves/craft anyway.

Off to KerbalX to see what cool stuff people have made for 1.0...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I put in a small feature request for the (eventual) update?

In the screen where you can see the full save history, could you put the launch/shutdown button at the top like the other screens please?

Often I just use that screen and due to mods my KSP crashes often and it would be handy to be able to relaunch it from there (also to close KSP, set an old save as persistent, then launch again)

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed the latest version (0.40 I think).

and yes, i did install Git.

I'm getting a lot of the following in the liquid.exe window:

Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'
fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'
fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.

I tried deleting all the .git directories and restarting, but it continued.

I have three saves here, it appears to only be in one save, but I'm not sure

It does appear to be working, since I can see things in the browser

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

LGG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.